Meal spacing

Hey guys,

About taking my PWO drink to the gym:
I just started taking creatine 4 days ago. I have taken my PWO shake to gym before but never thought it was so important to drink it right after instead of 20 mins later…
…Ok ill tell you the truth!!!..
the reason why I do this is because I like my shake prepared with ice in a blender. I know I know…kill me…
But i never really thought 20 mins would matter so much, especially when drinking a during shake, I also read somewere in T-mag, I dont remember, that it didnt matter when you took your PWO shake as long as it didnt go beyond 1 hour.

Ok back to my point, when i do take my PWO shake to the gym, what i do is prepare some puding, ad half of it to a gatorade bottle and add water to the top with 2 packets of splenda.
the other half i pour it into a shaker bottle.
Now that Im taking creatine, would it be ok to dilute the creatine first in some hot water and add it to the shaker bottle with the pudding?
Will 2 hours be enough for the Creatine to become creatinine in water?
If i dont dilute the creatine in hot water, i get diahrrea, and I dont think it gets much absorption that way, so taking the powder and mixing it there isnt a choice.

So, whats a better option:

A)Go for the taste and feel safe that you wont be drinking useless creatinine, drink freshly diluted creatine at home, its OK to have your PWO Nutrition 20 mins after your last rep…

or

B)Creatine wont become creatinine in 2 hours, drink your PWO shake like a man!, right after you finish your last rep, forget about taste.

Thanks,

Rollus

1 more question :
Is it ok to have some apple juice(GI:40) with my P+F meal at 12pm. JB said in massive eating realoaded one could eat low GI foods with P+F meals.
Is apple juice ok?

Rollus,

I’m awaiting an answer about the creatine before I can give my answer to that question.

However, as to the apple juice - skip it. It’s just sugar water as far as I’m concerned. Do you ever notice how many fruit juices actually taste only somewhat like the real fruit? It’s so heavily processed and heated that it virtually becomes flavored sugar water.

A GI of 40 is reasonable, but it isn’t really LOW. Yams have a lower GI, for example.

But even if it has a low GI, the reason not to drink it is that it has almost no value.

Keep in mind that GI is just a function of blood sugar based on a 50g dose of the food sugar. You also have to consider the glycemic load. Apple juice with a GI of 40 won’t raise insulin levels much if you drink 2 oz of it. However, if you drink 32 oz of it, you WILL get a large insulin release because the glycemic load is very high.

So the point is you can get the same insulin response from say drinking a small amount of Surge and drinking a very large amount of apple juice.

So in short, skip the apple juice.

“I’m awaiting an answer about the creatine before I can give my answer to that question.”
Musclerob, I dont understand what you mean with this, sorry, english is my 2nd language. Can u put it in other words please?

Thanks,

Rollus

Rollus,

Sorry about that.

What I meant is that I don’t know the answer to your question about the creatine. So I’m waiting on someone else to answer it, hopefully (not you). Then I can help you with figuring out what’s best.

Not to rain on anyone’s parade here…but do you guys realize that rollus is 17 years old and weighs 125lbs? Paralysis by analysis…

If you just eat as much as you can, and lift heavy weights, you will grow. I think by limiting your daily intake of food and setting up parameters like 40/30/30 or what not, you are limiting your growing potential. I say just eat a ton of clean food and lift heavy weights.

But if calculating everything out and manipulating your diet to exact specifications makes you happy, then go for it and ignore everything I said

good luck to you

Rollus,

How about posting your diet? Maybe it we can help out.

Ok heres my average diet:

7:00am P+C 3/4 cup oats, 2 cups ff milk, 1 cup blueberries, splenda

10:00am P+F 1 mozzarella cheese stick,
1 PB stick, pork rinds

12:00pm P+C Turkey breast or lean ham sandwich(lots of it and lots of FF cheese, usually 4 slices turkey or ham and 3 slices ff cheese)8 oz ff milk
(from monday on it will be a meal similar to recess #1)

2:00pm 4 oz lean red meat, salad
Dessert(at 2pm also): 1 cup 2% cottage cheese(with splenda and cinnamon or banana or other type of extract), 2 oz coconut oil diluted in water in the blender w 1 packet splenda

4:00pm P+C Pre/during workout shake
1/2 packet Isopure 1 packet ff/sf pudding(or some swettarts/gatorade)

6:00pm P+C Post workout shake

7:00pm P+C 6 oz pork loin, or maybe 8 oz skinless boneless chicken breast or any other relatively lean meat, 1 large baked potatoe and 1 corn on the cob

10:00pm P+F Used to be 1 cup cottage cheese with 1 T Natural PB, but from Now on it will be 1 cup CC with 1/2 cup oats in the blender

2:00am P+F 5 oz grilled salmon

Ok this is just a typical day, is it OK?
I would like to get hands on some beef jerky, but I cant find it here in Panama. (and believe me I wont be able to convince my mom to order one of those beef jerky makers). That might be a good substitue for pork rinds.
I dont think Pork rinds are that bad either. Their nutritional content is 12grs protein, 8 grs fat, 1 g carb.

Thanks,

Rollus

Sorry I meant Pork Tenderloin not loin.
Is loin as lean as tenderloin?

Rollus,

7:00am P+C 3/4 cup oats, 2 cups ff milk, 1 cup blueberries, splenda

In all seriousness, I believe store bought milk is not good for you, especially not the fat free stuff.

Blueberries and splenda are good, though.

I’m not too keen on the use of oats, as they’re a grain that requires soaking to get rid of the phytic acid content (which inhibits the uptake of important minerals). If you soak the oats, then that’s ok, but the problem is no one does that.

Probably the best grain to eat is rice, since it has very low phytic acid content that goes away with just cooking.

10:00am P+F 1 mozzarella cheese stick,
1 PB stick, pork rinds

I don’t think mozzarella cheese is a good option, as it is a cooked cheese. If you go to the store, you should be able to find raw cheddar cheese. This means that raw milk is used to make it, and the cheese is not cooked during making it. Look at the ingredients for “unpasturized milk” or simply “milk”. Heluva Good brand has raw cheddar cheese.

Raw cheese is both a healthier option and it is easier to digest.

What is a PB stick?

Also, I don’t really know what pork rinds are. Are they like potato chips in a way or what?

12:00pm P+C Turkey breast or lean ham sandwich(lots of it and lots of FF cheese, usually 4 slices turkey or ham and 3 slices ff cheese)8 oz ff milk
(from monday on it will be a meal similar to recess #1)

What kind of bread do you use? The best type of bread to eat is found in the freezer section. Sprouted whole grain breads must be frozen to be kept fresh, and are by far the healthiest option.

Again, I’m not too keen on milk in general, let alone fat free milk. You’re chaning this meal to P+F, right? So are you going to eat some meat and full fat cheese? I think this would be the best option.

2:00pm 4 oz lean red meat, salad
Dessert(at 2pm also): 1 cup 2% cottage cheese(with splenda and cinnamon or banana or other type of extract), 2 oz coconut oil diluted in water in the blender w 1 packet splenda

What’s a salad dessert?

4:00pm P+C Pre/during workout shake
1/2 packet Isopure 1 packet ff/sf pudding(or some swettarts/gatorade)

Sounds ok for now.

7:00pm P+C 6 oz pork loin, or maybe 8 oz skinless boneless chicken breast or any other relatively lean meat, 1 large baked potatoe and 1 corn on the cob

This is pretty good. The best carb sources are beets, potatoes, yams, and cooked rice. Corn is a grain and contains phytic acid, so I wouldn’t eat too much of it. Rice has phytic acid, but very little and is easily cooked off.

10:00pm P+F Used to be 1 cup cottage cheese with 1 T Natural PB, but from Now on it will be 1 cup CC with 1/2 cup oats in the blender

Again, I don’t like the use of oats. Rice, beets, potatoes, yams, and fruits are preferred. Maybe replace the oats with some berries, and you can get a nice dose of antioxidants and moderate GI carbs.

2:00am P+F 5 oz grilled salmon

Haha, nice!

I would try to get some fatty meat in there like steak a bit more. I would also add eggs in there. Whole eggs are very nutritious. You can hardboil eggs for snacks.

Also, when you get a chance, eating things like sea vegetables, liver, oysters and other shellfish is a good way to get lots of important minerals. Oysters are your friend, especially being a young male that exercises.

Hope this helps.

Since no one has answered about the creatine…could you take the creatine separately as soon as you get home? Just take your post-workout shake with you, drink it as soon as you’re done, and then have the creatine (with salt) as soon as you get home.

Rollus,
It’s awesome to see that you’re on top of your diet–something that most people your age(and mine-19) overlook and wonder why they aren’t getting bigger. My advice to give you is stick to the basic principle of eating clean every 2-3 hours, bust your ass in the gym, and you will grow. I wouldn’t worry so much about fine tuning–my guess is that your metabolism is fast enough to keep you lean. You should enjoy yourself right now, eatin some damn taco bell every now and then like a normal teenager, and save the fine tuning for when you get in your late 20’s and you need it.

Thanks again, Musclerob.

The reason why I use milk instead of Grow! in my oatmeal is because I dont want my mom to feel that this weight lifting stuff is hurting her pocket.

PB stick= a squeezable Peanut butter stick, made by skippy(i know ull be mad at these one, but storing 2 Tb natural PB in a ziploc or whatever isnt very practical.

Pork rinds…umm…how can I explain what they are with my limited english vocabulary…imagine a bag of lays, but instead of potato chips, it has 100% toasted pork meat…weird stuff…yet tasty

Salad dessert: what i meant was that lunch was 4 oz meat, a salad, and for dessert, I had 1 cup cottage cheese and coconut milk.

I just bought some 100% calcium caseinate powder I saw in the supermarket for cheap. I think this might be a good replacement for the cottage cheese since it has no lactose, and it wont be high on the II, something i dont want just before bed.

Does anyone knows/uses calcium caseinate powder for any recipe?( used not for taste, but mainly for added thickness to shakes or to add more protein.)

Maybe I can substitute milk in my oatmeal with some diluted calcium caseinate(has anybody tried this?) and add an apple or other type of fruit to compensate for the lost carbs.

Thanks,

Rollus

Keep processed foods to a minimum, and always be wary of replacing real food with powders. Aside from post-workout, realy food is ALWAYS better. It’s more anabolic and thermogenic.

Eat those nutrient dense foods I mentioned. Vitamins and minerals are important, even though you don’t seem to hear anything about it.