T Nation

Meal Replacement Mixture?

I use maltodextrin (25g) and dextrose (25g) along with 50g whey protein and 2 cups skim milk for PWO shakes. When creating a meal replacement I add in 1 tbs olive oil but was wondering if I should take out the dextrose and double the maltodextrin content? Or should I just leave the dextrose out and not replace it?

i’d take out the olive oil, as that will slow digestion some

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Yeah but he wants a meal replacement, so it should have some digestion time to it.

I would definitely remove the dextrose as the insulin spike, combined with the olive oil would be a bad idea for leanness IMO.

Personally, I use powdered scottish oats, whey, oil (or 6 Flameout), half a portion of Superfood and 5g BCAA.[/quote]

Yeah, I was thinking that the dextrose should only be in my PWO shake which has 0 fat, but I wanted to hear it from a vet;) I haven’t invested in the Superfood yet, I am going to finish off my last multis before I reconsider. As far as the BCAA I use Biotest capsules as any other BCAA powder I took tasted like shit, even when mixed with a shake or yogurt.

MRPs and PWO are to different things.

that’s why I said for pwo shake, ditch the fats

the general composition of most MRPs is maltodextrin and whey/casein blend. Personally, I always liked the 50 g of maltodextrin + 20 g whey + 20 g casein with a little bit of soluble fiber.

I’d usually add an apple with it. I think this is how EAS used to market with myoplex. Either way. Doing this 2 - 3 times daily and putting in 5 whole food meals, I’d see some of my best gains.

50g of fast acting carbs as a meal replacement? After exercise yeah but at any other time of the day…no.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
MRPs and PWO are to different things.

that’s why I said for pwo shake, ditch the fats

LOL, you’ll get no argument from me; PWO and MRP are indeed 2 different things.

However I thought the OP was just asking about the MRP, not the PWO.

Bushy[/quote]

I am rather happy with my PWO blend right now, I was only inquiring about MRP.

[quote]itsthetimman wrote:
the general composition of most MRPs is maltodextrin and whey/casein blend. Personally, I always liked the 50 g of maltodextrin + 20 g whey + 20 g casein with a little bit of soluble fiber.

I’d usually add an apple with it. I think this is how EAS used to market with myoplex. Either way. Doing this 2 - 3 times daily and putting in 5 whole food meals, I’d see some of my best gains.[/quote]

I like the idea of adding casein. Do you mix it with milk or water? Also, do you blend the apple up with the shake or just eat it seperate?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I like casein in mine, I like the texture and “full” feeling. I use 50/50 plus 5t. flax meal and 25g malto, it has good texture and tastes better with milk, ok w/ water too.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
2thepain wrote:
itsthetimman wrote:
the general composition of most MRPs is maltodextrin and whey/casein blend. Personally, I always liked the 50 g of maltodextrin + 20 g whey + 20 g casein with a little bit of soluble fiber.

I’d usually add an apple with it. I think this is how EAS used to market with myoplex. Either way. Doing this 2 - 3 times daily and putting in 5 whole food meals, I’d see some of my best gains.

I like the idea of adding casein. Do you mix it with milk or water? Also, do you blend the apple up with the shake or just eat it seperate?

I tend to shy away from casein at any time other than before bed, because it slows digestion too much if you are on a mass plan.

Bushy[/quote]

I’m not sure, which is why I am asking. What if I were to use 50g whey and then 25g casein. Would this be wasteful? Or would the whey take care of my protein needs now while the casein would stay around for a while?
Just a thought.

[quote]2thepain wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:
2thepain wrote:
itsthetimman wrote:
the general composition of most MRPs is maltodextrin and whey/casein blend. Personally, I always liked the 50 g of maltodextrin + 20 g whey + 20 g casein with a little bit of soluble fiber.

I’d usually add an apple with it. I think this is how EAS used to market with myoplex. Either way. Doing this 2 - 3 times daily and putting in 5 whole food meals, I’d see some of my best gains.

I like the idea of adding casein. Do you mix it with milk or water? Also, do you blend the apple up with the shake or just eat it seperate?

I tend to shy away from casein at any time other than before bed, because it slows digestion too much if you are on a mass plan.

Bushy

I’m not sure, which is why I am asking. What if I were to use 50g whey and then 25g casein. Would this be wasteful? Or would the whey take care of my protein needs now while the casein would stay around for a while?
Just a thought.
[/quote]

Maybe do 25 of each? 75g of protein seems like a lot to take at one sitting

Ya 75g protein is way too much. I dont think you could go wrong with adding oats to a mrp shake either? Be better than malto/dex i believe

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.