T Nation

Meal Plan To Gain 20 Lbs

I am currently at about 165 and by the time school starts up in late August would like to be up to about around 180-185. I will be doing the WSB II program as well as playing 2 1/2 to 3 hours of tennis per day. I need to make sure I don’t bulk up too much that I lose any speed, quickness, or mobility, etc.

Obviously I will need to eat a hell of a lot of food in order to gain with the amount of work I will be doing.

Here is what I have so far. Is this enough food or do I need more? Any advice, insight, ect. is appreciated.

Breakfast:
Fruit shake w/ 1 scoop Grow! & 1
tblspoon olive oil
Yogurt
Fat free cottage cheese
2 boiled eggs

Snack:
Metabolic Drive protein bar
Apple/Banana

Lunch:
Meat, veggies, fruit
(Pre-cooked from dinner night before)

Snack:
Apple/Banana
(need to add something here, not sure what)

Dinner:
Meat- chicken breast/tuna/salmon/steak
Vegetables
Fruits
Milk

Before bed:
1 scoop Metabolic Drive w/ 1 tblspoon olive oil
Fish oil tablets

Workouts:
Surge

It’s hard to help you when there’s no macros.

You definitely need some protein in that second snack though.

Sorry, macros?

Macros’ Protein, fats, carbs. Then alos the amount of k/cals would be the BIGGEST aid. Look like not enough for those goals and activity just guessing the above info. You’ll need a TON with all that activity.

Too much cardio (tennis) and not enough food.

To the OP- everywhere in your food list remove the words “fat free” and change the “1 scoop” items to “2 scoops” and the “1 tbsp” to “2 tbsp”, etc. You need to eat almost twice as much as you listed in order to gain that kind of weight that fast.

Also- STOP DOING ALL CARDIO. Jesus christ what is the deal with weight gain and cardio? They go together like peanut butter and motol oil, like HOT-ROX and Spike, like Britney and Kevin, etc. It just doesn’t mix well…

edit Ok I just noticed all of your cardio is from tennis. It’s ok to play that much tennis if you are on a team and need to, just don’t do it for recreation when bulking.

Tennis is his sport, but for 3 f’ing hours? You should be having something small to eat every hour in tennis, and much more during the day if you’re playing 3 hours of tennis every day.

I’m no expert but I have been able to gain some decent wait with food and exercise. I would suggest figure out how many calories you are burning with you tennis/cardio (for example 1000 calories)then add 4000 - 5000 calories on top of that. Don’t get to concerned with carbs and fat but make sure you are getting at least 1.5 - 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight, which shouldn’t be hard to do when eating that many calories, just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I have to play a lot of tennis to get ready for next year when I will be playing in college. I will take Sundays off and not play for quite as long on Saturday’s though. I also just turned 18 and am around 5’8" if that makes a difference. Thanks for the advice so far, looks like I need to seriously up my intake, maybe even double it? Hahah wow.

[quote]panther2k wrote:
Yeah, I have to play a lot of tennis to get ready for next year when I will be playing in college. I will take Sundays off and not play for quite as long on Saturday’s though. I also just turned 18 and am around 5’8" if that makes a difference. Thanks for the advice so far, looks like I need to seriously up my intake, maybe even double it? Hahah wow.[/quote]

Really you just need to figure out how many calories you are eating, then figure out how many you need, and then find a way to make up the difference. The suggestions I listed above are easy ways to do that.