Meal Plan Critique

Here is a sample meal plan I made (very simple) for non-lifting days. I am trying to shed 20-30lbs of fat.

Breakfast: 1c oats w/ .5c blueberries

Snack: 1oz Pecans

Lunch: Chicken breast (2), 2c spinach with 2tbsp olive oil

Snack: Tuna 2.6oz

Evening: Low carb protein shake (2)

Nutrient breakdown:
Calories: 1693
Fat: 67.4 - 34%
Carbohydrates: 78.1 - 18%
Protein: 196.2 - 48%

How does this sound. This is my first meal plan and I will come up with quite a few to rotate in.

How should I differ on lift days? I life early morning (6am).

Also I will be using Surge when it comes in so that will add carbs I am sure.

Thank you,
JT

Edit: I am 6’, 230lbs, 25yrs old.

Forget about carbs. Allow yourself some carbs only on the weekend. But don’t go overboard.
Hydrate yourself all the time. And lift, lift and lift. With slow paced cardio. Then as you progress, ditch the slow paced cardio for intervals. But by that time you’ll firgure it out on your own

[quote]nwaff wrote:
Here is a sample meal plan I made (very simple) for non-lifting days. I am trying to shed 20-30lbs of fat.

Snack: 1oz Pecans

Snack: Tuna 2.6oz

Nutrient breakdown:
Calories: 1693
Fat: 67.4 - 34%
Carbohydrates: 78.1 - 18%
Protein: 196.2 - 48%

How does this sound. This is my first meal plan and I will come up with quite a few to rotate in.

How should I differ on lift days? I life early morning (6am).

Also I will be using Surge when it comes in so that will add carbs I am sure.

Thank you,
JT

Edit: I am 6’, 230lbs, 25yrs old.[/quote]

What’re you trying to do, lose weight? If so, you’re eating AT LEAST 500 calories too little. You’re going to burn off a ton of muscle on so few calories.

This is exactly why I asked…
What should my calories be and how are you getting the calculations? I understand calculations are just that but I do need a starting point. I am not wanting to do a no carb diet, just a solid good nutrition change to my lifestyle. M family suffers to much when I do these different diets and I realized that my young children ate like I did even when I tried to make sure they didn’t.

I have tried to get calculations for fat loss and the results are vastly different.

I did my lean mass, 230 x .72 (The .72 is my body fat 28% minus 100%, this was to get my lean body mass) and multiply that by 15 and then subtracted 750cal for weight loss.
Guide me, how should I do it?

JT

you need protein in the morning meal or BCAA if you are lifting early.

I’d go no lower than 2500 cals/day for someone your size assuming moderate levels of activity. That would even be on the low side.

I’d up the protein to 1.5 times bodyweight at least, which will bump calories, and also I’d bump carbs a little as well.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
I’d go no lower than 2500 cals/day for someone your size assuming moderate levels of activity. That would even be on the low side.

I’d up the protein to 1.5 times bodyweight at least, which will bump calories, and also I’d bump carbs a little as well.[/quote]

I know I’m strongly biased towards the low-carb approach, but I want to know different stuff too.
And that’s why I’m asking: Why up the carbs?
Other than energy and post-workout restoration I don’t see the need to up them.
Maybe I’m missing/not seeing something.

I am really confused now j/k.

Lets straighten out the carb confusion please…

Starting today on different eating.

Wouldn’t 2500cal day mean stable weight in regards to my calculations, instead of weight loss. What kind of protien in the mornings before workout?

Here is an updated meal plan.
This is for non-lifting days. How should it change for lifting days? Should I not eat the apple with the snack to lower carbs?

Snack: 2oz Pecans w/ apple

Snack: Tuna 6.5oz

Snack: 1c 2% cottage cheese

Nutrient breakdown:
Calories: 2272
Fat: 93.2 - 35%
Carbohydrates: 109.3 - 19%
Protein: 254 - 46%

I’m not saying he has to up carbs, I just don’t think they’re the devil that everyone makes them out to be. assuming you’re eating quality complex carbs and not sugar or processed ones you can see fat loss without having to eat lettuce all day.

Heck, even another 50g of carbs will make life much more enjoyable and will only raise you 200 calories, along with more protein should put him around 2500 calories.

Again, lower carb is fine (for short durations). If you do go that low, I’d add in one day a week of a higher carb day.

[quote]nwaff wrote:
Here is an updated meal plan.
This is for non-lifting days. How should it change for lifting days? Should I not eat the apple with the snack to lower carbs?

Snack: 2oz Pecans w/ apple

Snack: Tuna 6.5oz

Snack: 1c 2% cottage cheese

Nutrient breakdown:
Calories: 2272
Fat: 93.2 - 35%
Carbohydrates: 109.3 - 19%
Protein: 254 - 46%
[/quote]

If I were you, I’d get the ratios to 40:30:30 CHO:PRO:FAT. Just give yourself 1 g PRO/lb bodyweight, start off with something like 12 cal/lb bodyweight, and back out the amounts of FAT and CHO from there.

Just get “Power Eating.” It explains everything better.

Why don’t you have any protein in your breakfast meal? Add some.