Meal Plan Critique and Suggestions Please!

Right now I’m sitting at 154 lbs, 5’6, and I’m sitting around 27% body fat.

I’ve just come off a 7 week program of a four day split upper/lower/break/upper/lower.
I’m about to start GVT and would love some help nutrition wise as I know how critical eating the proper foods here can be.
My goal is to put on as much muscle mass as possible.

My thoughts are that I should be eating about 1500 calories daily within 5/6 meals.

I’m trying to figure out how many grams of carbs/protein/fat I should be taking in.

If anyone has any suggestions - that would be amazing!

Currently my daily meal plan was something like this:

9:00am - 1/2 cup oatmeal with 1 protein scoop
11:30 - 6 egg whites with a slice cantalope and orange, with 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese
2:00 - 2 slices lean ham with 1 slice low fat cheese on 100% whole wheat bread (pre workout)
4:30/5:00 - 2/3 liberte yogurt with a banana and 1 scoop protein (post workout)
7:30 - grilled boneless, skinless chicken breast with vegetables

I do alternate some meals however my other meal options are - 1 tin tuna with veggies; - protein shake with 1 cup non fat milk, and blueberries/fruit; - salmon with veggies; - salad with protein.

Again - suggestions on my macro-nutrient intake would be great!

Peace & Love

[quote]tamyslove wrote:

I’ve just come off a 7 week program of a four day split upper/lower/break/upper/lower.
I’m about to start GVT and would love some help nutrition wise as I know how critical eating the proper foods here can be.

My thoughts are that I should be eating about 1500 calories daily within 5/6 meals.

I’m trying to figure out how many grams of carbs/protein/fat I should be taking in.

11:30 - 6 egg whites with a slice cantalope and orange, with 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese
2:00 - 2 slices lean ham with 1 slice low fat cheese on 100% whole wheat bread (pre workout)

I do alternate some meals however my other meal options are - 1 tin tuna with veggies; - protein shake with 1 cup non fat milk, and blueberries/fruit; - salmon with veggies; - salad with protein.

Peace & Love[/quote]

For a girl your size, maintenance would be around 2000 calories. To gain muscle, you would need to be taking in 2400-2500 calories per day.

Let’s get down to macros.

Protein: Keep this high. 1.25g/lb, or about 185 grams daily. Sources include chicken, lean cuts of beef and hamburger, turkey, fish, low fat dairy, eggs and egg whites, protein powder, etc.

Carbs: GVT is an exhausting program and is highly demanding of glycogen stores. Your body isn’t going to start laying down muscle tissue if glycogen is depleted. Don’t let anyone tell you any different, if you want to put on muscle, you’re going to need to be eating carbohydrates. To gain muscle, shoot for 2g/lb, or 300 grams per day, mostly from starches, vegetables, and fresh whole fruits. Sources include oats, rice, pasta, bread, quinoa, fruit, potatoes, and sweet potatoes.

Fats: Fats are not your enemy and are required for optimal health and performance. Flesh out the remainder of your calories with fats. Since you are aiming for 2400-2500 calories and 1950 of them are taken up by carbs and protein, that leaves about 60 grams of fat per day. Sources include: nuts, avocados, olive oil, cheese, butter, as well as the fat in dairy, meat, and eggs.

Good luck. Hope this was informative.

Thank you so much!!! I appreciate it a lot :slight_smile:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]tamyslove wrote:

Peace & Love[/quote]

For a girl your size, maintenance would be around 2000 calories. To gain muscle, you would need to be taking in 2400-2500 calories per day.

Protein: Keep this high. 1.25g/lb, or about 185 grams daily. Sources include chicken, lean cuts of beef and hamburger, turkey, fish, low fat dairy, eggs and egg whites, protein powder, etc.

Carbs: GVT is an exhausting program and is highly demanding of glycogen stores. Your body isn’t going to start laying down muscle tissue if glycogen is depleted. Don’t let anyone tell you any different, if you want to put on muscle, you’re going to need to be eating carbohydrates. To gain muscle, shoot for 2g/lb, or 300 grams per day, mostly from starches, vegetables, and fresh whole fruits. Sources include oats, rice, pasta, bread, quinoa, fruit, potatoes, and sweet potatoes.

Fats: Fats are not your enemy and are required for optimal health and performance. Flesh out the remainder of your calories with fats. Since you are aiming for 2400-2500 calories and 1950 of them are taken up by carbs and protein, that leaves about 60 grams of fat per day. Sources include: nuts, avocados, olive oil, cheese, butter, as well as the fat in dairy, meat, and eggs.

Good luck. Hope this was informative.[/quote]

Just a quick question. Do you think I should keep track of my carb intake for veggies and fruit? I’ve heard that doesn’t really matter and it’s best to just keep track of everything else. Thoughts?

[quote]tamyslove wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]tamyslove wrote:

Peace & Love[/quote]

Good luck. Hope this was informative.[/quote]

Just a quick question. Do you think I should keep track of my carb intake for veggies and fruit? I’ve heard that doesn’t really matter and it’s best to just keep track of everything else. Thoughts?[/quote]

For fruit, yes, count them. For veggies, it depends largely on the fiber content and overall calorie content. Multiply the grams of fiber by 4 and subtract that from the total calorie content of the vegetable and that will tell you the number of digestible calories per portion. I don’t count things like broccoli, spinach, or cauliflower but I do count tomatoes, squash, and carrots. Here is a fairly exhaustive reference list for vegetables and their calorie/fiber content:

http://www.healthalternatives2000.com/vegetables-nutrition-chart.html