T Nation

Meal Ideas With Deli Meat?

Hey my family buys a lot of deli meat and im wondering if anybody has any meal/snack ideas i can bring to work besides just the plain meat. Ide love to make a sandwich but im going low carb and this is one of the best protein sources in my fridge…

When I was trying to lose weight I liked to cut up turkey slices into small pieces and put them into a lettuce, cucumber and tomato salad with lemon juice squeezed on top, so you could try that.

[quote]WhiteTiger711 wrote:
Hey my family buys a lot of deli meat and im wondering if anybody has any meal/snack ideas i can bring to work besides just the plain meat. Ide love to make a sandwich but im going low carb and this is one of the best protein sources in my fridge…[/quote]

I just eat the meat. Maybe dip it in mustard.

You could get a bundle or some leaf lettuce and make low carb wraps with the lettuce leaf as the “tortilla.”

x2 on the salad. I make mine with avocado, romaine, fresh baby spinach, red onion, tomato, walnuts, blueberries, & deli turkey meat. Dress it with a pinch of salt, extra virgin olive oil & good quality balsamic vinegar. Mmmmmmmmm…

lettuce wraps. Recipe:

1 piece lettuce (romaine)
4 oz turkey

Wrap lettuce around meat. Consume. repeat till user consumes required protein per meal.

They taste like lettuce wrapped around turkey. They’re delicious.

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
lettuce wraps. Recipe:

1 piece lettuce (romaine)
4 oz turkey

Wrap lettuce around meat. Consume. repeat till user consumes required protein per meal.

They taste like lettuce wrapped around turkey. They’re delicious. [/quote]

Haha thank you, this is exactly what i needed

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
They taste like lettuce wrapped around turkey. They’re delicious. [/quote]

hahaha!

that was good

I’m not a fan of mystery meat, but if that is what you have to work with then there you go.

You can wrap it around asparagus and broil, chop it up and put it in eggs or with veggies and stir fry

and you can just eat the meat as it is

Depending how low your low-carb is…

You can get low-carb wraps near the tortillas. I like La Tortilla Factory whole grain soft wraps with olive oil. 100 calories, 9g protein, 18g carb, 3.5g fat. Put some turkey and swiss in there, dump in some spinach, mustard, maybe mayo. Roll it up and put it in a toaster oven for 12 minutes and it’s crispy without being crunchy. Mission makes a “low carb” wrap that might be less, but I don’t know what’s in that thing. Ingredients on the La Tortilla Factory wrap are not too scary.

Of course if you’re trying to stay under 30g of carbs a day that’s not much help to you.

sometimes i will grill up 2 slices of eggplant and use that as my bread. Some swiss cheese, turkey, sliced tomatoes and basil tastes pretty damn well together

Ima feeling the lettuice wraps. With a big dollop of mustard or something.

EDIT: Or a metric shit-tonne of cheese instead of mustard for a lovely P+F meal.

Hmmm…

1. Put slices of deli meat on plate.
  2. Sprinkle with cheese.
  3. Put in microwave or grill until cheese has melted.
  4. Roll up and insert into a lettuice wrap.
  5. ???
  6. PROFIT!

BONUS ROUND: Add herbs, ground pepper, chopped tomatoes, or whatever else you can fit in with your macro requirement.

[quote]benmoore wrote:

EDIT: Or a metric shit-tonne of cheese instead of mustard for a lovely P+F meal.

Hmmm…

2. Sprinkle with cheese.
  5. ???
  6. PROFIT!

BONUS ROUND: Add herbs, ground pepper, chopped tomatoes, or whatever else you can fit in with your macro requirement.
[/quote]

I hope step 5 is robbing a hooker.

But the La Tortilla Factory low-carb tortillas are not bad at all for low carb. The small ones, if I remember correctly, have 11 grams of carbs, 8 of it being fiber. So it’s like 3.

[quote]Stuntman Mike wrote:
benmoore wrote:

Hmmm…

2. Sprinkle with cheese.
  5. ???
  6. PROFIT!

I hope step 5 is robbing a hooker.

But the La Tortilla Factory low-carb tortillas are not bad at all for low carb. The small ones, if I remember correctly, have 11 grams of carbs, 8 of it being fiber. So it’s like 3.
[/quote]

This has bonus points for being easy as hell to transport.

I saw a program the other day also where they made a wrap, double wrapped it in tin foil and then used an iron to heat it through (all pre-cooked ingredients of course).

Different!

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
Growing_Boy wrote:
They taste like lettuce wrapped around turkey. They’re delicious.

hahaha!

that was good

I’m not a fan of mystery meat, but if that is what you have to work with then there you go.

You can wrap it around asparagus and broil, chop it up and put it in eggs or with veggies and stir fry

and you can just eat the meat as it is

[/quote]

OMG priscuitto wrapped around al dente asparagus is soooo good

[quote]Stuntman Mike wrote:

[/quote]

Joseph’s makes a good lavash bread and tortilla that are low carb too. They’re made from oat bran, flax meal and whole wheat. Almost all the carbs are fiber and they have a nice, fluffy texture that is uncommon in a low-carb wrap. IF you can find them.

http://www26.netrition.com/josephs_bakery_lavash_bread.html

One of my favorites…

Antipasto Salad

Romaine Lettuce
Thinly sliced Onion
Thinly sliced Green Pepper
Tomato
Provolone
Fresh Mozzarella
Deli meats of choice(chopped, or sliced into ribbons) …
Turkey, Ham, Pepperoni, Salami, Capicolla, Prosciutto, ect

Top with a Vinegrette made of Red wine Vinegar, Olive Oil, Garlic Powder, Basil, and Salt

Enjoy!