Meadows' Scrape Press

The scrape the rack press works great on bench variations too. Figured I’d share.

you mean like barbell benching for chest?

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
you mean like barbell benching for chest?[/quote]

yup.

I was trying to figure out something for not having a smith machine. I did slight incline and it felt really good with a really small amount of weight.

What variations have you tried and what differences did you notice?

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
What variations have you tried and what differences did you notice? [/quote]

one of the biggest things for me was that I could set and lock in the bar path. I’m used to a powerlifting style bench and it was forced me out f that. It also seemed to not stress my shoulder as much probably largely because I couldn’t use much weight.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
What variations have you tried and what differences did you notice? [/quote]

one of the biggest things for me was that I could set and lock in the bar path. I’m used to a powerlifting style bench and it was forced me out f that. It also seemed to not stress my shoulder as much probably largely because I couldn’t use much weight.[/quote]

Interesting. Benching PL style for years tore up my shoulder. I only use DBs to bench now. I may give this a try.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
It also seemed to not stress my shoulder as much probably largely because I couldn’t use much weight.[/quote]

That, and the fact that the shoulder didn’t need to take on the burden of stabilizing.

This is THE main reason I do these this way. Bum shoulder.

What is the difference between the smith and the scrape the rack variations? Every benefit brought by the STR variation can also be said of the smith machine version. I’m just curious what differs one from the other.

I have been using rack scraping for bent over rows as well. I find i can contract my lats harder by not only rowing up but back against the rack as well. I noticed it also deloads by lower back a bit.

[quote]IFlashBack wrote:
What is the difference between the smith and the scrape the rack variations? Every benefit brought by the STR variation can also be said of the smith machine version. I’m just curious what differs one from the other. [/quote]

From what I can tell, there is no difference on how it targets the shoulders.

[quote]IFlashBack wrote:
What is the difference between the smith and the scrape the rack variations? Every benefit brought by the STR variation can also be said of the smith machine version. I’m just curious what differs one from the other. [/quote]

The resistance is different. The friction adds resistance to the concentric and removes it from the eccentric portion. It also removes much of the momentum from the movement, where a smith machine with it’s counterbalanced bar actually adds momentum above and beyond a regular barbell. Kind of like the difference between a band bench and a reverse band bench.

But the point isn’t that it’s a replacement or better, it’s just a new tool in the toolbox to add in some variation.

I’ve been weary to try these. For some reason I have this scratching chalkboard noise fear with it. Can someone dispell that for me?

On the scrape bench press, try to squeeze the bar inwards for maximum pec activation.

Scrape rows are also great.

When using the bench variation, to target the pecs (rather than the triceps), do you set it up so that you are pressing into the rack towards your feet or towards your head?

[quote]leon79 wrote:
When using the bench variation, to target the pecs (rather than the triceps), do you set it up so that you are pressing into the rack towards your feet or towards your head?[/quote]

You press towards your feet.

Have any of you done the shoulder scrap press? Thoughts? Results?

[quote]GymTimeNYC wrote:
Have any of you done the shoulder scrap press? Thoughts? Results?[/quote]

yeah it’s a solid lift for sure, really good contraction and it’s very joint-friendly

I scrape the rack with shrugs, feels a lot more controllable and helps get a better contraction.

The Smith Machine in my gym is on a very slight incline and difficult to shrug effectively in.

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
yeah it’s a solid lift for sure, really good contraction and it’s very joint-friendly[/quote]

Hey Mr Walkaway. Got a question for you but cant pm u. Can you send me a pm & i’l see if i can reply