ME Equals Bad for MMA

[quote]adarqui wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
adarqui wrote:
ME is not going to have bad effects… that is silly… it’s how you do ME that will cause problems… if your ME sessions have tons of volume then yes, it is going to interfere with recovery & possibly cause some unwanted tightness each session…

but ME done in very low volume, such as a few singles, will have a positive effect on fight-training… it stimulates the nervous system, which lasts for a few days post-training… this effect will have you throwing snappier punches and improve strength on the ground/wrestling etc…

take two fighters (lab rat experiment, same fighter, different training)

1. one who only does bodyweight training, jump rope, sprints, and boxing
  2. one who does bodyweight training, throws in a few heavy singles on squat/pullup/pushup/curl 2x/week, jump rope, sprints, and boxing

who is going to be the stronger more explosive fighter?

if zach thinks 1. will be more explosive, then he is completely nuts and should refrain from giving fight training advice.

fighter 2 will have a higher work capacity, higher max & explosive strength, higher eccentric strength in the muscles needed to stop punches from injurying you (lats/scap muscles/biceps) - which allows you to punch faster, higher conentric & isometric strength needed in MMA sports, and this fighter would have an extra added mental edge considering heavy weightlifting improves your ability to tap into - voluntarily - the reserves that are only utilized in extreme life or death situations (this would happen after one really really improves their strength over the years).

peace

YOU CAN’T BE SERIOUS

pretty srs.
[/quote]

Everything I’m about to say plus what kmc said.

1)ME day means MAX EFFORT. People generally train and prepare focus for this day. You don’t need a fighter training preparing and focusing on a LIFT, they should be training preparing and focusing on Fighting.

2)Your comparing apples to oranges. The body is not going to lose all it’s chest strength because you stop bench pressing. Person 1 gains strength 9 Months lifting weights He’s not going to lose his punching power taking 3 months off while conditioning for a fight. He MAY lose some BENCH PRESS numbers temporarily.

3)ME day means MAX EFFORT & Your comparing apples to Oranges. Zach did not say they don’t train with heavy resistance, He SAID They do not do ME day. Why are you comparing a bodyweight trainer to a guy lifting weights? If you want to make a comparison compare maybe a guy doing a 5x5 to a guy who does 5 heavy singles for a set. I guarantee you if the two people were only doing one training method, the 5x5 guy would be alot stronger after 3 months.

1. If it worked for you then your the only one but a Few Heavy singles twice a week never made anybody stronger. Singles(ME DAY) purpose isn’t to train you to be stronger it trains you to MAXIMIZE your strength for THAT particular lift. For specific purpose there is a huge potential for gain, since firing muscle maximilly is highly inhibited by the brain.

2. THIS IS THE MAIN REASON FOR COMMON SENSE. Using 95 - 100% of the weight you can lift can lead to at the very least a nagging inflammation that you will have to train through. Why if I have a million dollar fight on the line, would I want to take that risk? for what ? a 20lbs gain on the squat?

ME does not train strength power and endurance. Go to the West Side site I believe they do an explanation of why to use it. Power is trained on DE day and strength across the whole routine.