Me Doing Stand Up

I have started doing stand up comedy as a hobby and here’s one of my videos.

Sorry for the sound as the noise from the bar upstairs leaks down.

Any praise is obviously welcome and good criticism too.

If it matters I did this set without a drink. That’s the thing that makes stand up not as difficult as regular public speaking; you can have booze without being stigmatized.

I havent got the chance to watch the whole set yet, but this is my favorite comedian.

Is that the same place I met you at Nards? Looks different.

tweet

[quote]Nards wrote:
I have started doing stand up comedy as a hobby and here’s one of my videos.

Sorry for the sound as the noise from the bar upstairs leaks down.

Any praise is obviously welcome and good criticism too.

If it matters I did this set without a drink. That’s the thing that makes stand up not as difficult as regular public speaking; you can have booze without being stigmatized.
[/quote]

Excellent! Only note of advice I would give is that as you begin moving around a bit 2/3 of the way through, it improves. Use your movement - it’s a bit lacking in the beginning. I think that’s what captures people’s attention, the moving target. Pacing - not sure that’s the right word for the slight foot movement and directional changes I’m thinking of, but I know good comedians are in near-constant movement - along with the hand gestures.

Good job!

When you’re doing your BBC voice, pronounce “Duke” like “Juke”.

will watch later when I get a chance.

Good for you! Really fucking brave to get up on stage and do stand up. I’ve played in bands for years so give me a guitar and I’ll get up in front of people happily, but stand up’s a thousand times scarier.

Serious cojones, mate. Well done.

Got a set of iron balls to do it, while it was tough to hear, what I did hear I found funny. I like your presence up there, you come off very natural and comfortable. If I can suggest that if you foster that personality on stage more your headed in the right direction.

Good job Nards!

A client of mine decided to do some stand-up, something she always wanted to try and I was pretty impressed. Like everyone says, take a lot confidence to get up on that stage. Compare it to an actor in a play or a guy playing guitar in some pub. In both of those, even if you suck, people will just chat while you are doing your thing and you still get the polite sympathy clap when you finish. Not so with stand-up, you suck and it’s dead silence when you pause. Or someone very loudly tells you how bad you suck. Much scarier…

Well done Nards. Your delivery and stage presence reminded me of Brent Butt.

I liked the sleeping pill joke. The amputee joke was cool too.

Poking fun at the English is always a good bet…at least in Oz. But I thought the James Bond sketch dragged a bit before the punchline and it probably wasn’t good enough when it got there. The Ring being played on a smart phone was a nice idea (I got a mental image of a normal sized girls head trying to come through a tiny smart phone screen), and I thought you could make more use of that as a start to the King Kong sketch. Something like the tiny little girl comes out drops on the floor and gets stood on like she just met King Kong.

Good idea, yeah it’s always good to find ways to segue from one joke into another.

Thank you everybody for watching many thanks for your input.

Nice natural delivery. Loved the King Kong joke!
I was awaiting an Arnold impression (lol).

Nards, you’ve always been one of my very favourite posters.

Stand up? I didn’t see one squat! rim shot

[quote]Nards wrote:
- YouTube [/quote]

Well fuck me, Nards - you can’t remake King Kong without Arnie in the lead role.

I want the T-Rex, then King-K then You as Arnie as the punchline.

Here’s a newer set
Sean Harrison 4/11/2015: - YouTube

[quote]Nards wrote:
Here’s a newer set
[/quote]

Hahaha! If you ever release a comedy album, a good title would be “Itchy On The Inside.”

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:
Here’s a newer set
[/quote]

Hahaha! If you ever release a comedy album, a good title would be “Itchy On The Inside.”
[/quote]

To bad he isn’t doing ventriloquism. You would be the perfect Red Flannels.

[quote]Ronan wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:
Here’s a newer set
[/quote]

[/quote]

To bad he isn’t doing ventriloquism. You would be the perfect Red Flannels.[/quote]

Following me around, are ya?