ME bench + Squat

On the 13th of august i have a type of mini combine at my HS, the scores of which will be sent to my prospective college coaches. My problem is im not so sure how to work up to my max, or even how to work up during my ME workout day. For bench ive never done more than 225. Today for instance i did: barx10, 95x5, 135x5, 165x5, 185x3, 195x3, 205x3, 215x1, then i failed at 225. Im not really sure what happened. I even failed the first time at 215, but then i got it. How can that be? I got 3 at 205 without much difficulty, how could 225 be so hard? Any thoughts on the best way to prep myself to get the most out of ME movement?

The same thing happenes with my squat. on mon i did 135x5, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3, 345x3 with a little difficulty, then couldnt even get 365. Again that just doesnt seem right? Any thoughts on my current situation?

Perhaps your volume it too high for a ME. How long have you been training?

And in many cases, its a mental problem. you stressed over the combine?

[quote]BigDirk wrote:
On the 13th of august i have a type of mini combine at my HS, the scores of which will be sent to my prospective college coaches. My problem is im not so sure how to work up to my max, or even how to work up during my ME workout day. For bench ive never done more than 225. Today for instance i did: barx10, 95x5, 135x5, 165x5, 185x3, 195x3, 205x3, 215x1, then i failed at 225. Im not really sure what happened. I even failed the first time at 215, but then i got it. How can that be? I got 3 at 205 without much difficulty, how could 225 be so hard? Any thoughts on the best way to prep myself to get the most out of ME movement?

The same thing happenes with my squat. on mon i did 135x5, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3, 345x3 with a little difficulty, then couldnt even get 365. Again that just doesnt seem right? Any thoughts on my current situation?

[/quote]

I’m not an expert on WSB but here are my thoughts. You might be doing too many triples. When you get in the 90% of 1RM range, you should be doing singles.

Also, are you getting enough rest (neural recovery) between ME singles?

Dont worry too much just keep feeling the heavy weight and it will come. You will learn to handle maximal loads. Goerge Halbert had an article where he talked about working out with a bodybuilding friend of his. He said as they were working up and got to about 315 on the military press, he said his friend did like 10 reps and he could only do 5 or 6 but when they put 375 on the bar George was able to do a single while his friend couldnt even get one. This was due to the fact that George was used to heavy loads and his friend only worked in a range that he was comfortable with. Sorry for the story but it helped me realize the importance of bustin ass with heavy weight.

For me personally like chints says that would be too many triples, especially since that last triple sounded like a best effort. Next time try that 345 for a single instead then hit the 365. Rememember you are trying to hit a PR for a single not a triple. At least for bench and squats, stuff like lockouts and GM’s seem to work better with the triples.

If you are new to ME then it will take a while for your body to adapt and your work capacity to increase to be able to handle the volume with higher intensity lifting. Don’t worry it will come.

I bench WSB style occasionally and I try to keep the progression in the ballpark of

barx10
%50x5
%80x5
%85x3
%90x3
%95x3
then ME’s and finish up with maybe another set of 5 if you feel you need more volume.

thanks for the advice. i believe doing the 90%-range triples is probably too much, as they seem more like a max effort. Is everything else for the warmup fine? would

barx10, 95x5, 135x5, 165x5, 185x3, 195x3, 205x1, 215x1, 225x1 be a good bench warmup?