T Nation

ME Bench Press Attempt Question

What Happened:
I was working up to a max on bench press and when I attempted 295, I nearly got it but I had a smidgen of help on the bottom.

The Issue:
I felt like I had the power in my back and chest and it felt like the weight was being pushed off my chest like a spring. The thing is that I got this weird feeling of pressure on the inside of both elbows that wouldn’t allow me to transfer that spring and power to the bar at the bottom. I never had the feeling before.

The Question:
What can I do to correct the problem. What is that pressure?

Background:
warm up progression-barx10, 135x5, 185x5, 225x1, 255x1, 275x1, 295xmiss
3 years working out, one of which is training for powerlifting.
long arms, narrow torso (opposite of barrel chested)
190lbs
23yo

My thoughts:
I think it might be because my bis and tris weren’t strong enough to support transfer of force. I’m really uncertain.

Do you have video of your benches?

A pain in the elbows can signal you are actually tucking your elbows too much, which can turn a bench into a jm press…

[quote]LSUPOWERDC wrote:
Do you have video of your benches?

A pain in the elbows can signal you are actually tucking your elbows too much, which can turn a bench into a jm press…[/quote]

^^^ makes since… i just started doing the jm presses and that is the desription i would give for doing them…

No video. I’m a poor college student and I don’t have phone for that or a camera. It is possible I was tucking too much (didn’t know there was such a thing). Once I got a small amount of assistance at the bottom, the weight flew up. And it wasn’t pain, just pressure.

you could be loosening up some at the bottom, or just might be weak off the chest. I have trained a few people like this, they can do a one board with 315 easy but cant get 275 to go up off the chest. An easy way to work it is to do alot of dumbbell work, focusing on a stretch at the bottom. Keep your form, bringing your chest up, and get a good stretch with the dumbbells.
Does your gym have a cambered bar, or a buffalo bar? Something you can do your bench with using a greater range of motion.
Dumbell bench, and flyes should help the problem.

Also, there is such a thing as tucking your elbows too much, especially for someone like you with long arms and a long stroke. If there is someone who knws what they are doing, have them watch. What college do you go to? Might be able to hook you up with a local coach or team.

I go to Stephen F. Austin (Nacogdoches, TX). I can full bench more than I can 1 board and it’s about the same as my 2 board. My floor press w/1-2sec pause is the same. I felt like I had the power in my chest and back, I just couldn’t transfer it through my elbows because of that pressure on the inside. And I’m really sure I was really tight in the bottom. I guess you could say I lost tightness in my elbows when I felt that pressure.

Is a pause bench a good one for this? Set up how I would normally for bench, but pause for a couple seconds on the chest and explode back up.