T Nation

Me and My Chicken Neck

I have been lifting since January and saw nice gains. Went from 145 lbs to 163 lbs and still going. Body fat % is estimated between 11-13%. I went on the Bill Starr 5x5 for 5 months and now on a BB split and seeing nice results here too. Got a V-shape down, working on adding some meat.

I have a light lean built, short torso, long legs. The deadlift gave me very nice traps. They may be my strongest point.

Here’s the problem.

I look fine from front.
I look fine from back.

But from the side it’s another story.

I had the bad habit of having rounded shoulders and a forward head posture. I’m aware of that and been working on it. I’m getting there, but what bothers me the most is how “thin” the base of my neck looks from the side. I started doing neck bridges but I don’t know if it’ll help. I’m also looking to start the neanderthal no more program. Any tips or recommendation?

At 163lbs, you shouldn’t worry too much about how your neck looks from a specific angle.

Just continue to put on mass all over.

Thanks for the honest answer. So it should just thicken naturally if I continue putting on meat? I still deadlift on back and leg day (normal or sumo, and romanian). I don’t want to build an imbalance.

[quote]Decimatron wrote:
Thanks for the honest answer. So it should just thicken naturally if I continue putting on meat?
[/quote]

yes

[quote]Decimatron wrote:
I still deadlift on back and leg day (normal or sumo, and romanian). I don’t want to build an imbalance.[/quote]

[/quote]

DLing 2x per week is ok. Keep working on leg extension also (Squat variations, esp. front squats) to avoid imbalances of knee flexion/extension (which can lead to injuries) and do not overwork your lower back

I know what you mean, I’m the same as you right now.

I agree with Petrichor. I haven’t done any neck isolation work and I’ve added 2 inches onto my pencil neck.

Just keep doing what you’re doing.

Sounds like your making good progress. Don’t knit-pick yourself to death.

I would only worry about your neck if it cranes forward excessively. It will thicken as your body grows. If you just feel like continuing the neck bridges, though, go for it.

Again, thanks to all, it kinda reassures me.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Sounds like your making good progress. Don’t knit-pick yourself to death.

I would only worry about your neck if it cranes forward excessively. It will thicken as your body grows. If you just feel like continuing the neck bridges, though, go for it.

[/quote]

I think this comes into play. I had bad posture, and casual lower back pain, but those went away (thanks, deadlifts). My posture is still pretty bad, my head hunches forward and combined with my proeminent adam’s apple it looks silly from the side. If I try to hold myself straight, it’s still at an angle. I’m starting that “heal that hunchback” I found here and taking a rendez-vous with a sport physiotherapist.

Read the article “Stick your neck out”. I bought a swiss ball just for those exercises that I do a few times a week just for activation. They are pretty effective and have a low risk of injury.

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
Read the article “Stick your neck out”. I bought a swiss ball just for those exercises that I do a few times a week just for activation. They are pretty effective and have a low risk of injury.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up, I skimmed through the article. Gonna try those swiss ball bridges. I understand how the other static exercises should reinforce the neck, but are they any useful to add some thickness?

Probably not much for adding thickness. I think that just by stimulating the traps and back in general, you are going to have growth on your neck. I personally do not believe it moving neck exercises because your spinal erectors are supposed to keep your spine straight, not move shit around (hence, why we deadlift/squat with a straight back). I would just worry about adding mass and I am sure your neck will fill in. Good luck.