T Nation

McDonald's Strip Search

The sad thing is, I’m not even surprised that something like that could happen.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
ipjunkie wrote:
Any thinking person wouldn’t follow any instructions beyond empty your pockets. At that point where he said to strip search her, I would be, ok, you’re going to have to send cops over here. What’s your name and badge #?

Then again, there’s a reason he targets places like this. The training teaches people NOT to think for themselves.

Well shit, when the buttons on the cash register have little pictures of food on them and the cashiers count out the change for you and many STILL look perplexed, what do you expect? I personally want a person wearing a paper hat with a PhD in quantum physics to take my order. Anything less is uncivilized.
[/quote]

Yes, but again we’re talking about the people running the place, not the retarded Jerry’s kids that run the register. The one MANAGING the place SHOULD have IQs greater than that of the temperature in the walk-in freezer.

[quote]ipjunkie wrote:
Yes, but again we’re talking about the people running the place, not the retarded Jerry’s kids that run the register. The one MANAGING the place SHOULD have IQs greater than that of the temperature in the walk-in freezer.[/quote]

Unfortunately, the IQ has nothing to do with it. There is a reason why this works most of the time. It starts by an authority relation, then they request justifiable acts (i.e. emptying pockets)and progressing to intolerable ones. When the victim starts refusing (the girl), the manager thinks she’s on to something and applies more pressure.

But to think about it, a low IQ manager would probably ork at McDonald and be the best candidate in a good context.

Another example, to the extreme, would be the holocaust, how Hitler tricked all the Nazis.

With the use of psychology, good men can be turned into monsters.

But dont get me wrong, even if they were all tricked, it doesnt make them any less responsible and I still feel like that manager deserves quite a slap on the… cheeks…

In all reality, I think the vast majority of people on this planet are “sheeplike”. If you walked into any random room full of people and any type of emergency happened, chances are, you would find only one or two “leaders” who would stand up in an effort to directly deal with the situation or protect the group as a whole. It doesn’t excuse the girl’s actions for taking this treatment, but I think it explains why some would have immediately called bullshit and left while many more would have stayed and been humiliated.
[/quote]

Amen. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve driven up to a nasty accident scene and jumped out to help, disgusted with the fact that all the other assholes just keep driving by and gawking. Makes me sick. Even if you don’t have any training, you can hold a victim’s hand, or call 9-1-fucking-1.

[/end rant]

[quote]ipjunkie wrote:
Any thinking person wouldn’t follow any instructions beyond empty your pockets. At that point where he said to strip search her, I would be, ok, you’re going to have to send cops over here. What’s your name and badge #?
[/quote]

Thats what everyone said they would do in milgram’s experiment. I will stop before hurting someone. Yet 100% went further. It all depends of the context, the authority obedience factor,… Only a rebel would have stopped before in the ideal context.

lostinthought wrote:
I’m not faulting the victim here in the least little bit so don’t get confused with that…But why on earth did she stand for that. At what point should she just have said, “No”. People need to stand up for themselves and not be so blind or sheep like.

In all reality, I think the vast majority of people on this planet are “sheeplike”. If you walked into any random room full of people and any type of emergency happened, chances are, you would find only one or two “leaders” who would stand up in an effort to directly deal with the situation or protect the group as a whole. It doesn’t excuse the girl’s actions for taking this treatment, but I think it explains why some would have immediately called bullshit and left while many more would have stayed and been humiliated.
[/quote]

Now I’m not trying to offend anybody or call anybody weak or anything so hopefully no body gets their underwear in a bunch, but I think most of us would be very surprised at what we would actually do in that situation and many others for that matter. I would be willing to bet many of us would follow orders just like she did in a similar situation.

If you don’t believe me, and really think you would act differently, chances are you’re wrong to be blunt. Check out work by Stanley Milgram. It’s really quite amazing what people will do when they believe they recieving instructions from a perceived authortiy figure.

Just some food for thought.

take care
Collin

Oops, look like Devinci beat me too it. Sorry for the redundancy.

"Ummm… He says you might have stolen a purse… Umm… Jump up and down naked… Okay, now perform Oral on me. "

I don’t even think anyone was on the line at that time. Desperate Boyfriend Syndrome.

[quote]CollinAshmore wrote:
Oops, look like Devinci beat me too it. Sorry for the redundancy.[/quote]

Well you said it better!

I belive that some people are messed up enough to try this (the caller), and that some people would belive that the person is a cop. However when the caller asks to search or strip the accused if anyone continues to think that the person is a cop should end there. What kind of idiots would think that the caller has any authority, I mean seriously. What the fuck?

[quote]Devinci wrote:
Dandalex wrote:

Makes me think of those studies that showed that people will follow the orders of an authority figure up to inflicting serious pain.

Ah, Milgram, where are you now!

Exactly what I was about to say!

One of Milgram’s experiment was to play a game where a random subject (selected through ads in news papers) would play a teacher and an other random one the student. The student was tied to an electric chair. The student must learn a list of various words and after each mistake the teacher had to punish him.

At each mistake, the teacher had to press a button to give the student a shock. After each mistake, the teacher must increase the voltage.

Voltage range:

First mistake : 15 volt

Mistake 8 : 120V
At this level, the average student will start saying that the shocks are painful.

M9: 150V
The student would cry and ask to go and leave the experiment. At this point Milgram usually told the teachers to continue the experiment. Remember that the student is tied up.

350V The student doesnt answer any questions now.

450V The last shock.

Where would you stop?

Everybody said that they would stop before the student would feel pain.

Reality: 63% completed the experiment up to 450V!![/quote]

(Unless I missed it:) You forgot to mention an important part of the experiment, in that the “Student” was an actor, and was never acually shocked. Think of what you would feel like if you were the teacher; that is why such experiments are considered inhumane today (not because the person was geting shocked, because they were not).

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

[quote]Devinci wrote:
CollinAshmore wrote:

Well you said it better![/quote]

By the time he told her to give him a blowjob, did she not realize that perhaps something was awry . . . ?

[quote]Nomancer wrote:
(Unless I missed it:) You forgot to mention an important part of the experiment, in that the “Student” was an actor, and was never acually shocked.
[/quote]

Thanks for bringing it up, I didnt mention it although it was in the link I provided. But they had to be actors because 450V is deadly :wink:

[quote]Nomancer wrote:
Think of what you would feel like if you were the teacher; that is why such experiments are considered inhumane today (not because the person was geting shocked, because they were not).
[/quote]

True, usage of deception and stress started an ethic debate about Milgram’s reseach. For his defence, Milgram said that after the “teachers” were told about the deceptions and after understanding the stake of his research, none of them regretted playing their part in the experiment and none of them had emotional after-effect. Also, the level of stress measured was less than the stress of an average student writing an exam.

[quote]Damici wrote:
Devinci wrote:
CollinAshmore wrote:

Well you said it better!

By the time he told her to give him a blowjob, did she not realize that perhaps something was awry . . . ?[/quote]

Exactly…Of course she should have known something was up BEFORE the BJ…But I digress.

I have to add that I think I do know how I would act in a situation like that. I have been in many, many situations here at work where I’ve challenged all higher ups and I’ve also been challenged. I’ve been threatened with my job, have not backed down, and still have my job…(Now that may be the reason why I’m not liked by the higher ups, but then I don’t really care if I am or not). I’ve also been challenged by real life cops and have stood to my convictions, (but we won’t talk about that).

Sheep…People who don’t stand by their convictions or just don’t have any convictions is probably my biggest pet peeve.

too bad there isn’t a law against being a complete dumbass.

i guess the IQ level at working at McD is <10. everyone one those should taken out and beaten for being idiots.

the guy charged w/ sodomy. wtf?
i have no sympathy for the girl, the fiance, the manager and especially the guy on the phone.

[quote]Damici wrote:
Devinci wrote:
CollinAshmore wrote:

Well you said it better!

By the time he told her to give him a blowjob, did she not realize that perhaps something was awry . . . ?[/quote]

Exactly! I can not believe she hob-kobbed on that older fat dude’s schlong and didn’t think anything of it. Unbelievable!

[quote]Damici wrote:
Devinci wrote:
CollinAshmore wrote:

Well you said it better!

Yeah its hard to believe. The only explanation I see, given the power the manager had over the girl, the low self-esteem the girl had (she worked at McDo…) and given the fact she was naked in a small room with other dressed people, she must have lost control of mind even before she lost her clothes.

I wonder if she swallowed?

[quote]Mr ian wrote:
I wonder if she swallowed? [/quote]

Dude, you’re a dick!!

But funny…

[quote]doogie wrote:

I can’t believe the she blew the guy. I’m just floored by the stupidity of everyone involved with this.

[/quote]

Yea i’m pretty sure giving a blow job is not a part of standard police procedure… or maybe i’m in the wrong career

That is jsut awful.

She’s gonna sue for millions right?

Gawd those ppl are morons! This is why I dislike the hospitality industry. It preys on those who are too young, and no confident enough to stand up for themselves.

I still remember the shit I copped working for Sizzler. I took it, because everyone took it. That’s how it was. But 7yrs later I shake my head at the memory of it.

What’s really bullshit about it is that the managers, as people, are extremely average. But they comport themselves like they’re ‘special’ because they have a team of 14-19year olds to yell at.