McDonald Worker Arrested

By Jeffry Scott
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 09/09/07

Sometimes a restaurant screws up a dish with too much of this or too little of that.

The customer complains and maybe gets a refund.

Less frequently, the cook gets jail time.

That’s what happened early Friday morning in Union City, a small town in the southern suburbs of Atlanta. A McDonald’s worker put too much salt on a Big N’ Tasty burger that was served to a Union City police officer who got sick and was briefly hospitalized.

The worker, Kendra Bull, 20, was arrested, handcuffed, charged with reckless conduct at 1:30 a.m. and spent the rest of the night in lock-up. Later Friday morning, after a court hearing, she was released on $1,000 bond.

Saturday, Bull, the mother of a 1-year-old, said she accidentally spilled too much salt on the burger and was unjustly charged.

“I think they went too far with it,” said Bull, who has worked at the McDonald’s on Jonesboro Road for about five months. “If it was too salty, why did [the officer] not just take one bite and throw it away? Why did he take eight bites and finish it and come back later and say it made him sick?”

She said she told her supervisor and another co-worker she spilled the salt on the burger. “They tried to thump the salt off,” she said.

Then she went on break and ate a burger made from the oversalted meat. “It didn’t make me sick,” she said.

Meanwhile, the restaurant went ahead and served the extra salty Big N’ Tasty to the police officer, said Bull. A few minutes later the officer, Wendell Adams returned to the restaurant and told the manager he got sick from eating the burger.

He talked to the restaurant’s manager, another employee and Bull, who admitted she spilled the salt on the burger. Bull said the officer asked her to step outside, where he continued to question her. “He told me it made him so sick it had to have something worse than salt on it,” said Bull.

“He asked me if I had ever had a bad experience with cops. Did I know it was a police officer that came through the drive-through? A whole lot of nonsense like that.”

Bull said she didn’t know a police officer had ordered the burger because in the area where she worked, she couldn’t see out the drive-through window.

She said she told Adams her supervisor knew there was too much salt on the burger, but the supervisor didn’t come to her defense.

“[The supervisor] was just trying to cover herself,” said Bull, who said Saturday afternoon she didn’t know if she still had a job under the golden arches: “I’m waiting to hear from my supervisor.”

A call to the restaurant seeking comment was not returned. Adams could not be reached for comment.

Union City Police public information officer George Louth said Saturday that police talked to Bull and other store employees who told them Bull knew the burger “wasn’t properly prepared.” He said she was charged with the misdemeanor reckless conduct because she served it anyway “without regards to the well-being of anyone who might consume it.”

The department is still investigating the case. Since the officer didn’t eat the entire Big N’ Tasty, there were samples to send to the state crime lab to find out what was in or on the burger that made Adams sick.

Bull, meanwhile, said she was hiring an attorney as she awaits her day in court.

After that, she said, “I think I’m going back to Texas.”

Can there be enough salt on a burger? Citizens arrest this officer for failure to enjoy a tasty seasoning I say.

Next week - Officer arrests cook : Steak was TOO medium rare.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Can there be enough salt on a burger? Citizens arrest this officer for failure to enjoy a tasty seasoning I say.

Next week - Officer arrests cook : Steak was TOO medium rare.[/quote]

What I don’t understand is that if the officer thought the burger was too salty, why did he continue to eat it? He said the burger made him sick,but he didn’t say it was too salty. Ridiculous how her supervisor and co-workers pulled a “Michael Vick”…lol…she should be just as responsible. But jail? Come on now.

Excuse me? Excuse me, señor? May I speak to you please? I asked for a mai tai, and they brought me a piña colada, and I said no salt, NO salt on the margarita, but it had salt on it, big grains of salt, floating in the glass…

Holy paranoid authority figure…

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Excuse me? Excuse me, señor? May I speak to you please? I asked for a mai tai, and they brought me a piña colada, and I said no salt, NO salt on the margarita, but it had salt on it, big grains of salt, floating in the glass… [/quote]

Quality Office Space reference sir.

That cop should be fired for grotesque stupidity, and abuse of authority.

What’s a Big N’ Tasty burger anyways? Never heard of it. Sounds good.

Stupid cop. That IS an abuse of authority. It just reminded me of a similar ridiculous case, in which a cop charged a person for assault just for accidentally breathing on him.

I might post up the details soon…

Only to meet other nasty cops? Hopefully not.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
After that, she said, “I think I’m going back to Texas.”

Only to meet other nasty cops? Hopefully not.[/quote]

Come on now,you’re shooting my dreams down…lol.

Why is a person trained to be physically fit and to handle dangerous situations eating at McDonald’s? I hope the worker wins.

[quote]JohnnyBlaze wrote:

[/quote]

Well it is Big and Tasty.

[quote]BF Bullpup wrote:
Why is a person trained to be physically fit and to handle dangerous situations eating at McDonald’s? [/quote]

Thanks for making me chuckle.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
JohnnyBlaze wrote:

Well it is Big and Tasty.[/quote]

That used to be my penis nickname…switched it to Jumbo Jack. Rolls off the tongue better…oops.

the cook may have done it b/c he was a cop in which case she needed more time in jail.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:

Next week - Officer arrests cook : Steak was TOO medium rare.[/quote]

LOL. This made me think of the counterfeit designer shirt from “Friday after Next.”

“Extra medium?! Fuck!”

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
the cook may have done it b/c he was a cop in which case she needed more time in jail.[/quote]

he was served through drive thru. She couldn’t have known it was a cop. Re-read the article.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:
the cook may have done it b/c he was a cop in which case she needed more time in jail.

he was served through drive thru. She couldn’t have known it was a cop. Re-read the article.[/quote]

Not necessarily true. Many McDonald’s are very small and she may have seen him pull up to the drive-thru and is playing dumb now. She may have heard him speaking over the microphone and recognized the background chatter of a radio or scanner.

Of course, I’m playing devil’s advocate here. I think this guy probably way over-reacted and could have handled this differently.

One thing that struck me as strange was the fact that she spills a whole container of salt on a food item but serves it up anyway. Why not just pitch the thing and make another one?
Unless you want a way to screw with a cop and still have an excuse if you get caught. At least it wasn’t rat poison. That happened at a Mcdonald’s some years back and the two sheriff’s deputies that ate it nearly died. Maybe you can have some understanding why the police would be sensitive to this kind of thing.

Of course, I cant explain why the cop ate the whole damn thing and how it made him “sick”(instant high blood pressure?)

I think the cop should be fired for being such a big pussy about it. That poor girl ate the same fucking burger and nothing happened to her but when big,bad authority figure takes a bite,he gets hospitalized.

[quote]mr_slick wrote:
I think the cop should be fired for being such a big pussy about it. That poor girl ate the same fucking burger and nothing happened to her but when big,bad authority figure takes a bite,he gets hospitalized.[/quote]

do we really know she ate the burger?

And this is just another reason why you shouldn’t eat fast food. They dump junk on your food and still serve it, thank goodness this was only salt. Or at least they say only salt until the lab tests get back.