McCain's Running Mate

[quote]tedro wrote:
Then there is the train of thought that he will ask John Kerry or Ted Kennedy. I don’t think this will happed because McCain alone already has crossover appeal, and running with a dem will just alienate conservatives even more. If this happens it would definitely be the downfall of the GOP. [/quote]

That McCain is the GOP candidate is downfall enough.

[quote]lixy wrote:
tedro wrote:
Then there is the train of thought that he will ask John Kerry or Ted Kennedy. I don’t think this will happed because McCain alone already has crossover appeal, and running with a dem will just alienate conservatives even more. If this happens it would definitely be the downfall of the GOP.

That McCain is the GOP candidate is downfall enough.[/quote]

Ahmadinejad in 08. Right Lixy?

[quote]
Mikeyali wrote:

If you put a gun to my head and told me to vote one of the three I would vote Obama. All three of them are wrong, but Hillary and McCain could push an agenda. Obama is so far off that I don’t think he’d get anything passed. That’s good enough for me.

mike

Zap Branigan wrote:
How many federal judges would he appoint? How many on the USSC? Scary.[/quote]

This really is the crux of it - 6 of 9 USSC justices are 68 years old or older. Only Thomas, Roberts and Alito are younger.

Talk about long term - how long do you want to live with lifetime appointees to the USSC?

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:

Mikeyali wrote:

If you put a gun to my head and told me to vote one of the three I would vote Obama. All three of them are wrong, but Hillary and McCain could push an agenda. Obama is so far off that I don’t think he’d get anything passed. That’s good enough for me.

mike

Zap Branigan wrote:
How many federal judges would he appoint? How many on the USSC? Scary.

This really is the crux of it - 6 of 9 USSC justices are 68 years old or older. Only Thomas, Roberts and Alito are younger.

Talk about long term - how long do you want to live with lifetime appointees to the USSC?[/quote]

scratches head Well, I confess, I didn’t exactly think of that. Dammit, now this is a tough decision.

mike

Nope. The justices card doesn’t work for me this time around.

[quote]Sloth wrote:

Nope. The justices card doesn’t work for me this time around.[/quote]

Enjoy your noseless, spited face.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
Sloth wrote:

Enjoy your noseless, spited face.[/quote]

Heh. I thought the same of the Republicans when I decided to abandon the party.

Edit: And congrats to the McCaininites. Not that the results were unexpected, but it seems that he has the delegates needed to secure the nomination. In fact, it looks as if Huckabee has called it quits.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Nope. The justices card doesn’t work for me this time around. [/quote]

Should you have voted for Kerry?

How would you have liked to see, instead of Roberts and Alito, say, Chief Justice Larry Tribe (professor at Harvard Law) and Justice Marsha Berzon (currently sitting on the 9th Circuit)? What do you think that would have done to the 2nd Amendment case pending before the court?

Sloth wrote:

How would you have liked to see, instead of Roberts and Alito, say, Chief Justice Larry Tribe (professor at Harvard Law) and Justice Marsha Berzon (currently sitting on the 9th Circuit)? What do you think that would have done to the 2nd Amendment case pending before the court?[/quote]

Voted for Kerry? No way! I understand your concern about the Justices, but I’m not going to allow myself to remain lashed to the Republican Party. Between the Bush’s and McCain, it isn’t the right party for me. I’m looking for a small federal government, yet pro-life, platform. I believe I’ll settle into the Constitution Party, this time around. But, I’ll have to see who they run, of course.

Choosing justices and conducting foreign policy are the two biggest responsibilities of the President, and the ones over which he has the most control (not total control, but the most control).

If you don’t appreciate domestic policy, the thing to do is to try to change Congress - or the USSC and federal courts (see above).

Choosing justices and conducting foreign policy are the two biggest responsibilities of the President, and the ones over which he has the most control (not total control, but the most control).

If you don’t appreciate domestic policy, the thing to do is to try to change Congress - or the USSC and federal courts (see above).[/quote]

I am BB, but not through the Republican party.

Sloth wrote:

How would you have liked to see, instead of Roberts and Alito, say, Chief Justice Larry Tribe (professor at Harvard Law) and Justice Marsha Berzon (currently sitting on the 9th Circuit)? What do you think that would have done to the 2nd Amendment case pending before the court?[/quote]

Bear in mind that Bush even tried to screw that up, by putting his personal lawyer and her SMU pedigree on the Court until conservatives revolted. Even what’s probably the biggest achievement of his presidency was nearly a disaster.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
In fact, it looks as if Huckabee has called it quits.[/quote]

About time he put an end to that sad joke.

If even Jeffr couldn’t get behind him, what chance did he have come November?

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
BostonBarrister wrote:
Sloth wrote:

How would you have liked to see, instead of Roberts and Alito, say, Chief Justice Larry Tribe (professor at Harvard Law) and Justice Marsha Berzon (currently sitting on the 9th Circuit)? What do you think that would have done to the 2nd Amendment case pending before the court?

Bear in mind that Bush even tried to screw that up, by putting his personal lawyer and her SMU pedigree on the Court until conservatives revolted. Even what’s probably the biggest achievement of his presidency was nearly a disaster.[/quote]

Yeah, didn’t Ike put in Warren and Reagan put in Souter?

mike

GWB gave McCain the thumbs up today. I suppose this is the payback for 2004?

At any rate, an endorsement from GWB should take McCain far…right?

[quote]

BostonBarrister wrote:
Sloth wrote:

GDollars37 wrote:
Bear in mind that Bush even tried to screw that up, by putting his personal lawyer and her SMU pedigree on the Court until conservatives revolted. Even what’s probably the biggest achievement of his presidency was nearly a disaster.

Mikeyali wrote:
Yeah, didn’t Ike put in Warren and Reagan put in Souter?

mike[/quote]

Ike did put in Warren. GHW Bush put in Souter. And Ford put in Stevens.

But Clinton put in Ginsburg and Breyer.

At least with a Republican president you’d have some sort of chance… And actually, it would be a pretty good chance with a president that didn’t value personal relationships over all else (e.g., W. Bush with Meiers)

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
GWB gave McCain the thumbs up today. I suppose this is the payback for 2004?

At any rate, an endorsement from GWB should take McCain far…right?[/quote]

About as much as Clinton did for Al Gore.

McCain is going to have to put someone with a mixture of strong economic conservatism and to a certain social conservatism. More than likely he will nominate a governor or a former member of Congress. I don’t think Huckabee will get the VP nod, because economic conservatives are leery of him due to his tax increases in Arkansas. I think it will be a governor from a key state such as Florida.

I have heard J.C. Watts name (former U.S. Rep & Oklahoma football player) mentioned. That’ll be good if Obama gets the Democratic nomination.

BTW, on the question of running mates, extra points for Charlie Crist.

The FL governor, out of the kindness of his heart, has let the Dems know that FL can do another primary if they need one… =-)[/quote]

Crist is too gay. Also his veep would depend on who might get the nomination…Against Obama he could win FL without Crist, might need a little help against Hilldog.

This article is interesting - per 100meters above, it contends McCain might have more choices for VP if he’s running against Obama than if he’s running against Hillary:

http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?docid=news-000002683222