McCain Volunteer Charged in Attack Hoax

PITTSBURGH - A young campaign volunteer for John McCain made up a story of being robbed, pinned to the ground and having the letter “B” scratched on her face in what she had said was a politically inspired attack by a black man, police said Friday.

Race has been a sensitive issue in the presidential campaign, as Democrat Barack Obama would be the first black U.S. president if he wins the Nov. 4 election.

Ashley Todd, 20-year-old college student from Texas, admitted Friday that the story was false, including the claim that the “B” stood for “Barack,” said Maurita Bryant, the assistant chief of the police department’s investigations division.

Todd was charged with making a false report to police, and Bryant said police doubted her story from the start.

Dressed in an orange hooded sweat shirt, Todd left police headquarters in handcuffs late Friday and did not respond to questions from reporters. The mark on her face was faded and her left eye was slightly blackened when she arrived in district court.

Todd was awaiting arraignment Friday on the misdemeanor false-report charge, which is punishable by up to two years in prison.

‘Mental health issues’
She will be housed in a mental health unit at the county jail for her safety and because of “her not insignificant mental health issues,” prosecutor Mark Tranquilli said.

Todd initially told investigators she was attempting to use a bank branch ATM on Wednesday night when a 6-foot-4 black man approached her from behind, put a knife blade to her throat and demanded money. She told police she handed the assailant $60 and walked away.

Todd, who is white, told investigators she suspected the man then noticed a John McCain sticker on her car. She said the man punched her in the back of the head, knocked her to the ground and scratched a backward letter “B” into her face with a dull knife.

Police said Todd claimed the man told her that he was going to “teach her a lesson” for supporting the Republican presidential candidate, and that she was going to become an Obama supporter.

‘Mental health issues’

She will be housed in a mental health unit at the county jail for her safety and because of “her not insignificant mental health issues,” prosecutor Mark Tranquilli said.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
‘Mental health issues’

[/quote]

Are you suggesting McCain supporters have mental health issues? LOL

[quote]RoadWarrior wrote:
Sloth wrote:
‘Mental health issues’

Are you suggesting McCain supporters have mental health issues? LOL
[/quote]

No. I’m suggesting she has mental health issues.

God the Republicans wanted this to be true so, so badly. It basically went from dream to nightmare. Great stuff.

[quote]Noodle_Arms wrote:
God the Republicans wanted this to be true so, so badly. It basically went from dream to nightmare. Great stuff.[/quote]

How would this have meant anything beyond a single individual who’s support Obama would’ve wisely denounced?

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Noodle_Arms wrote:
God the Republicans wanted this to be true so, so badly. It basically went from dream to nightmare. Great stuff.

How would this have meant anything beyond a single individual who’s support Obama would’ve wisely denounced?

[/quote]

Right wingers claim it represents the thug culture Obama represents.

Here is an editorial that does a good job breaking it down:

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/bookman/entries/2008/10/24/the_aftermath_of_ashley_todds.html

[quote]Noodle_Arms wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
Noodle_Arms wrote:

Right wingers claim it represents the thug culture Obama represents.

Here is an editorial that does a good job breaking it down:

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/bookman/entries/2008/10/24/the_aftermath_of_ashley_todds.html[/quote]

I fully understood what you were driving at, but as much as I cannot stand Obama, even I would not accuse his campaign of encouraging this all lose no win behavior. As long as it was not associated with the campaign it’s an individual criminal and therefore a non issue except in that specific case.

Who cares? It was reported as a crime, and then it came out she was just a nut. It’s not like she’s some columnists promising us a full fledge race wars if we don’t go out and vote Obama.

If McCain wins, look for a full-fledged race and class war, fueled by a deflated and depressed country, soaring crime, homelessness - and hopelessness!

If you oppose race wars, vote Obama!

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Who cares? It was reported as a crime, and then it came out she was just a nut. It’s not like she’s some columnists promising us a full fledge race wars if we don’t go out and vote Obama.

If McCain wins, look for a full-fledged race and class war, fueled by a deflated and depressed country, soaring crime, homelessness - and hopelessness!

[/quote]

It would appear McCains Supporters have the market cornered on race wars.

Atlas Shugs, they posted the woman�??s photo and called it the new face of the Republican Party.

Can you spell we fucked up? They jumped on the really wrong bandwagon this time.

Andy McCarthy at the National Review’s Corner responded with a post so embarrassing he has now taken it down so nobody can see it.

Dan Riehl at riehlworldview.com posted under the headline Thugs for change, claiming that Obama’s run his campaign just like a street thug out of Chicago. Now we get to see what some of his worst supporters are like.

Noel Sheppard at newsbusters.org chastized AP for daring to be skeptical of the initial report. Most of all, he wanted to know why the AP didn’t report that the alleged perp was black. How dare they exclude a detail that had no bearing whatsoever on the alleged crime!!

Josh Painter at redstate.com blamed the attack on Barack Obama, suggesting an Obama thugocracy was coming: When Obama urged his supporters to get in their face, did it not occur to him that some of his more deranged followers might take him literally? Painter asked.

He was echoed by fellow redstater Erick Erickson, who wrote: Hey! The dude was just doing what The One asked him to. Full pardon on January 21st.

At Atlas Shugs, they posted the woman’s photo and called it �??the new face of the Republican Party.

Shame on those that doubted this poor girl,the post read. Always ready to jump on the side of the leftists and thugs. ugh. Americans, I implore you to get off your asses and save this country from the radical left coup on the White House, Senate and House.

Perhaps the Obots misunderstood Obama urging his followers to Get In Their Face and GET IN THEIR FACES!They got the advanced course of Camp Obama to cut up their faces.

Looks like Atlas Shugs was right, this is the new face of the Republican Party.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,434311,00.html

Sloth wrote:

It would appear McCains Supporters have the market cornered on race wars.

[/quote]

Well, no…I just posted an article with an Obama supporter frightening us with race wars breaking out if we don’t vote in Obama…

The New Face of the Republican Party

The New Face of the Republican Party[/quote]

LOLZ!

She only proved she needs the beating she claimed she got. What an idiot.

I like how the B is backwards, like she did it in front of a mirror. Wonder how she gave herself that shiner…

[quote]Tyler23 wrote:
I like how the B is backwards, like she did it in front of a mirror. Wonder how she gave herself that shiner…[/quote]

I think it’s make-up. I didn’t see it on later vids.

[quote]Tyler23 wrote:
I like how the B is backwards, like she did it in front of a mirror. Wonder how she gave herself that shiner…[/quote]

Besides and Obama sheep would have carved an ‘O’…