McCain Stereotyping?

McCain stated “…Fannie mae and Freddie Mac, you probably don’t even know who that is…” To the black guy who asked him a question.

Is this something that you wouldn’t expect anyone over 21 to know? Or was this a back of the mind stereotype popping up.

Now I know some of you are going to cry black people always whining…WHAT THE FUCK EVER…sometimes it is what it is… I’m just asking if Freddie Mae and Fannie mac are entities that the majority of the population are not expected to know.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
McCain stated “…Fannie mae and Freddie Mac, you probably don’t even know who that is…” To the black guy who asked him a question.

Is this something that you wouldn’t expect anyone over 21 to know? Or was this a back of the mind stereotype popping up.

Now I know some of you are going to cry black people always whining…WHAT THE FUCK EVER…sometimes it is what it is… I’m just asking if Freddie Mae and Fannie mac are entities that the majority of the population are not expected to know. [/quote]

That kindof made me squirm a little. I would expect most people, especially those who are active in politics enough to participate in this debate to know who Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae where. Seemed a bit patronizing

I’m pretty sure that McCain said that the young man probably didn’t know what these entities were BEFORE all this madness was on the news.

I would’ve said I find that offensive if I was him…

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
I’m pretty sure that McCain said that the young man probably didn’t know what these entities were BEFORE all this madness was on the news.[/quote]

Hmmm…maybe so. An awfully dumb statement otherwise.

How so? I don’t think that the majority of the American population knew what Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae were before those names were all over the news.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
I’m pretty sure that McCain said that the young man probably didn’t know what these entities were BEFORE all this madness was on the news.[/quote]

I didn’t hear that part, but even if he did… So?

Are you saying you never heard of them before all of this? If not, that’s cool, I would like to know if the average american should know about them or not.

I knew about them around 13-15, now maybe I took a little too much interest in my parents mortgage, but I would think most people who are out of college would have heard of them.

EDIT:
I wrote this before I saw your above response. So forget it.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
skaz05 wrote:
I’m pretty sure that McCain said that the young man probably didn’t know what these entities were BEFORE all this madness was on the news.

I didn’t hear that part, but even if he did… So?

Are you saying you never heard of them before all of this? If not, that’s cool, I would like to know if the average american should know about them or not.

I knew about them around 13-15, now maybe I took a little too much interest in my parents mortgage, but I would think most people who are out of college would have heard of them.

[/quote]

I don’t know what you are trying to get at here, whether or not you want to impress me with your knowledge of government backed mortage companies, or trying to snoop out any form of impropriety by McCain.

Whatever McCain said to the young man, it was not a racial epithet, or any other type of condescending remark.

No one knew what that shit was before the clusterfuck.

Most people had only heard of F and F in passing, despite them being incredibly powerful.

So yeah, its a pretty easy assumption to make of anyone who doesn’t look like a wall street type.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
I’m just asking if Freddie Mae and Fannie mac are entities that the majority of the population are not expected to know. [/quote]

I love the irony in your post.

You get on McCain’s ass because he assumes that most people have no clue about F&F - and you can’t even get the names right.

You just justified him saying what he said.

No one even knows what “mortgage backed securities” are or why exactly a ‘governmentally subsidized entity’ would ‘buy loans’ from banks.

Foreign concepts to most folks.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
I’m just asking if Freddie Mae and Fannie mac are entities that the majority of the population are not expected to know.

I love the irony in your post.

You get on McCain’s ass because he assumes that most people have no clue about F&F - and you can’t even get the names right.

You just justified him saying what he said.

[/quote]

rofl!

I think it was more just talking to the guy, and stating ‘I bet you didn’t know what FanFred was before this started’ in a more friendly manner than a condecending manner.

More importantly, McCain really didn’t hit any triples or home runs in this one, and he needed to do that.

It was a stupid comment, especially given the ramifications of making it during a debate, but McCain was probably right.

Mountain out of a molehill. Unfortunately it’s stupid shit like this that sticks in voters minds on not the candidates’ philosophy.