T Nation

McCain Diagnosed with Aggressive Brain Cancer

Damn. Glioblastoma multiforme is a very bad cancer–nearly uniformly fatal. Godspeed and good luck in this fight, Senator.

Damn. Man I am sorry to hear that. Continue the fight senator.

Some guys get all the bad luck. Vietnam POW, brain cancer. Here’s hoping for a speedy recovery.

I’ve lost multiple family members to cancer, and am going to restate the obvious:

Cancer sucks!

Mr McCain & family will be in my prayers.

Yeah, I hate to be negative but glioblastoma has a pretty near zero survival rate. I don’t honestly know if he will be able to ever go back to the Senate Chamber. From what I read it was stage 4, and it’s an extremely aggressive cancer.
I had a friend whose father had it. He gave me all the scans and I sent it to an acquaintance who is a neurosurgeon. The neurosurgeon took a second to look at the scans and said “I’m sorry”, he went on to explain that glioblastoma is essentially a death sentence.

God bless John McCain, one of the finest men to ever serve our country. I hope he gets a miracle.
I wished he got to be President just for at least a term. Total class act in every regard.

Definitely agree with both things. I don’t agree with him on a lot of policy but he is really a class act and served our country for a long time.

McCain dishing it out from his hospital bed.

This article makes me so angry I can’t even speak. It is pretty much everything I’ve been saying and thinking for a very long time. Doesn’t matter whether there is a criminal indictment or not, he should be impeached regardless for his ball-bearing, sackless, spineless, greedy and selfish ass actions that blatently reek of corruption and subsuming American needs to a personal ego trip.

“High crimes and misdemeanors” does not–or at least did not–mean that one had to be guilty of treason or criminally indicted. On the contrary, it was deliberately construed by contemporaries of the FFs and the those officials of the 16 and 1700s to provide very WIDE latitude to impeach an official on numerous things.

Ever hear the story about Jugurtha? He was a Numidian king (Numidia comprised modern-day Morocco and Algeria) who lived in 2 century BC and through an unfortunate series of events ended up being Rome’s enemy.

Through a complex system of alliances and what would today be called “mission creep” the Romans ended up backing a rival claimant to his throne. And considering that at the time Rome was the sole superpower in the Mediterranean after eliminating Macedonia and Carthage, this was a literal death sentence for Jugurtha.

At the start of the next campaign season, a Consular army was raised in Rome and duly dispatched to Numidia to bring back Jugurtha’s head.

As the Romans landed on Numidian shores, the hard pressed Jugurtha had a stroke of genius - Rome, being a republic at the time, awarded command of their armies to aspiring politicians who were supposed to compete in the next season’s elections for the highest offices, field command and military glory being a prerequisite for consulship.

And since the election campaign was in full swing, even before the armies set sail, those aspiring politicians were heavily in red due to massive expenses for political lobbying - Roman politicians as a rule amassed ludicrous amounts of debt during the elections campaigns hoping to settle their debts either through plunder taken from their foes or by getting governorship of a very rich province.

That meant that Jugurtha wasn’t dealing with Rome the superpower, but one very, very ambitious and broke Roman.

So Jugurtha, instead of facing the invincible Roman legions in the field (and certain death), simply called the Roman commander Memmius for a one-to-one meeting and casually offered to settle his debts and finance his campaign in exchange for turning a blind eye.

Memmius duly accepted, and returned to Rome after idling for months with his troops, claiming that he was “unable to force an engagement” with Jugurtha’s forces.

This charade repeated itself for years, with every Roman commander coming back vastly richer, without engaging Jugurtha. Jugurtha grew so cocky that he even personally wrote a peace treaty with Rome and had it rubber stamped by the hapless Roman commander.

At the end, this was to prove Jugurtha’s downfall - cockiness. On the occasion when he personally traveled to Rome as a witness for the prosecution against one of the former Roman commanders he bribed (!) he couldn’t resist rubbing it in their faces that he was buying them off, shouting in the Senate “this entire chamber is for sale like a common whore”.

And people who take bribes don’t like being lectured from a position of moral superiority.

So the next Roman sent to deal with Jugurtha, the legendary Gaius Marius, refused to be bribed.

I had to read that twice to fully grasp it. Then it occurred to me that you likely typed that all from memory. You’re a different breed Loppar.

Love it. And for as ancient as it is, very timely. I am very fuzzy on Jugurtha and Numidia (and the Berbers in general) but keen on Roman history. And of course, Gaius Marius is a favorite.

One of my very favorite things in this forum is getting to hear Loppar’s take on history and cultures as it relates to modern events. Being a huge history nerd it’s like brain candy, and of course Loppar is extremely widely read!

He’s purty smart for a Euro dude, probably that 2 years in the US.
:smirk:

Feel sorry for the guy but he needs to get away from the main treatments(chemo, radiation) here in the U.S. as they may kill him before the cancer. he needs to become a researcher and advocate for his own health.

Alternative treatments sure worked for Steve Jobs.

What did Steve Jobs actually do? Chemo and radiation, has such a good track record.

No he delayed treatments that actually work in order to give alternative medicine a go, with predictable results.

Any chance we can trade McCain for Jobs? Hell, any chance we can trade McCain for Kim Jong-un?

Ironically, Jobs had a very uncommon form of pancreatic cancer that has a vastly better prognosis than the common form. If he had gone with the standard treatment protocol, chances are he’d still be alive today.