T Nation

Mayweather's UFC Comments

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=dw-mayweather041807&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I think it’s pretty ignorant of Mayweather to think that he would tear through the UFC. If he doesn’t catch someone just right, he’d be screwed when he gets taken down.

Any thoughts on this?

It all depends on if Mayweather worked on takedown defense or any kind of ground game to accurately judge how well he’d do. It would also depend on who he was matched up against.

Put him up against any striker in the UFC and he’d tear them apart. But, put him in there with a guy like Matt Hughes who could close the distance quick and score a takedown, he’d be in trouble.

Nice link. I enjoyed Dana White’s comments. I really like Dana White. He is right, Mayweather would never accept a fight between he and Sean Sherk.

I can see how Mayweather feels the way he does, I have often wondered if a top-level boxer could come in and whoop the hell out of some UFC fighters. Maybe some of them would get lucky and get a quick KO, but if they didn’t, they’d get eaten alive.

They’d have to adjust their stance, work on their sprawl, clinching and submission defense, learn how to check kicks, etc. Not to mention learning how to kick, takedown and perform submissions. They only know a fraction of the game.

But what an amazing, important fraction of the game boxing is!

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
It all depends on if Mayweather worked on takedown defense or any kind of ground game to accurately judge how well he’d do. It would also depend on who he was matched up against.

Put him up against any striker in the UFC and he’d tear them apart. But, put him in there with a guy like Matt Hughes who could close the distance quick and score a takedown, he’d be in trouble.[/quote]

I politely disagree with some of your statement. If you put him in a ring with a Thai Boxer or someone who could use his legs the reach advantage is taken away. Also, I don’t care how heavy your hands are my kicks land with more force. I think that Mayweather would get destroyed no matter who he fought in the UFC at the new lightweight level.

Mayweather has never had to defend a worldclass wrestler’s shooting.

Mayweather has never had to worry about getting caught in a Mui Tai clench, and eating knees.

Mayweather has never had to think about a BJJ getting him to the ground, and introducing elbow to his asshole.

In short, Mayweather is pretty much talking out of his ass…or…he can smell the money he could make by stepping in the octagon.

I think Sherk would have him tapping out in the first round.

You’re obviously a thai boxer, so I see your biased. No thai boxer [or UFC “striker”] I’ve ever seen has near the power that Mayweather has. I’ve always believed that if you took a mid level boxer with good power and tought him takedown defenses and the like he’d destroy any mma practitioner. Their hands are just plain too hard and fast. Add in the 4oz gloves and you’d have some ugly fuckin’ knockouts.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

You’re obviously a thai boxer, so I see your biased. No thai boxer [or UFC “striker”] I’ve ever seen has near the power that Mayweather has. I’ve always believed that if you took a mid level boxer with good power and tought him takedown defenses and the like he’d destroy any mma practitioner. Their hands are just plain too hard and fast. Add in the 4oz gloves and you’d have some ugly fuckin’ knockouts.[/quote]

I have been in both the Kickboxing ring and the boxing ring at the amature level. I have been hit with some hard and heavy hands but no one I have gone up against has the power in their hands that a kicker has in their legs.

In an equal weight class I truly believe that someone who knows how to kick and punch with beat pure puncher every time. We have more options and even if I can’t match your punching power with my hands, my foot in your chin will put you to sleep.

Floyd would bang any UFC fighter you put him against. UFC fighters are fat, slow, and sloppy.

Just because Floyd is a top boxer, it doesn’t mean he can’t or doesn’t know how to wrestle.

[quote]John Smith wrote:
Floyd would bang any UFC fighter you put him against. UFC fighters are fat, slow, and sloppy.

Just because Floyd is a top boxer, it doesn’t mean he can’t or doesn’t know how to wrestle.[/quote]

LMAO - that’s a pretty broad brush you are painting with.

I would be willing to bet that the gangly, monkey-armed Mayweather would be tapping out before he hits the ground if someone were to shoot on him.

[quote]John Smith wrote:

Just because Floyd is a top boxer, it doesn’t mean he can’t or doesn’t know how to wrestle.[/quote]

Ahahaha, this is ridiculous, how’s pretty boy Floyd going to bang with anyone if Sherk takes him to the mat and pounds the shit out of him. Its one thing to know how to wrestle, and another to know how to wrestle against a collegiate-level wrestler.

Boxing is just one facet of MMA, being a boxer means just that, you’re good at boxing. I would love to see Floyd come in and get trounced like the little beatch he is.

[quote]Thai_Bxr wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:

You’re obviously a thai boxer, so I see your biased. No thai boxer [or UFC “striker”] I’ve ever seen has near the power that Mayweather has. I’ve always believed that if you took a mid level boxer with good power and tought him takedown defenses and the like he’d destroy any mma practitioner. Their hands are just plain too hard and fast. Add in the 4oz gloves and you’d have some ugly fuckin’ knockouts.

I have been in both the Kickboxing ring and the boxing ring at the amature level. I have been hit with some hard and heavy hands but no one I have gone up against has the power in their hands that a kicker has in their legs.

In an equal weight class I truly believe that someone who knows how to kick and punch with beat pure puncher every time. We have more options and even if I can’t match your punching power with my hands, my foot in your chin will put you to sleep.[/quote]

The problem I’ve seen with many Thai/kickboxers is that their hands are not on par with a boxer’s. When the boxer gets inside the kickboxer is usually in deep shit.

In response to the guy who talks about UFC fighter’s not having the power of Mayweather, that’s ridiculous, have you ever seen Mirko “Crocop” kick? It is frickin wicked. Mayweather’s hands don’t even come close to that.

I’d be willing to bet Mayweather would backpeddle and light up anyone who tried to shoot on him. And to what Thai bxr said, I fully agree that no ones punch can match the power of a kick, but you’d have to get that kick.

I’ve watched a shitload of thai boxing matches [never participated, but boxed when I was younger] and the first thing I noticed was the severe lack of power in their hands. They swing [not throw] wildly until they clinch and then knee the fuck outta one another. I firmly believe a mid level boxer with knockout power would detonate on any mma event provided he trained his take down defense.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

I would be willing to bet that the gangly, monkey-armed Mayweather would be tapping out before he hits the ground if someone were to shoot on him.

I’d be willing to bet Mayweather would backpeddle and light up anyone who tried to shoot on him. And to what Thai bxr said, I fully agree that no ones punch can match the power of a kick, but you’d have to get that kick.

I’ve watched a shitload of thai boxing matches [never participated, but boxed when I was younger] and the first thing I noticed was the severe lack of power in their hands. They swing [not throw] wildly until they clinch and then knee the fuck outta one another. I firmly believe a mid level boxer with knockout power would detonate on any mma event provided he trained his take down defense.[/quote]

Uh…Monkey Arms can only back peddle so far until he hits chain link.

You seem to think that no one has any speed other than boxers. You couldn’t be more wrong.

Would monkey arms beat most of the folks in the UFC? Probably, but the elite level is a different story. He hasn’t the skills to hang. One dimension will get your ass knocked out.

Mayweather is an amazing, world-class athlete. Genetically he’s almost certainly a better athlete than the UFC guys, as it would make sense that boxing, which (for now) commands a much bigger purse than MMA would attract more top-notch athletes.

With that said, he’s never trained for MMA, at least not to anybody’s knowledge. So to say he could step in and take the UFC crown is foolish. Could Ronnie Coleman or Ed Coan win the World’s Strongest Man right now? No way. Do they have the genetic potential where if they spent the time training for it, they could be one of the best? Sure.

Mayweather is an athletic freak who could be a UFC champ if he put the time in to learn. As already mentioned, he’s very fast and has freakish punching power. But…he’s not Neo and he’s not going to send somebody flying across the ring with one punch. Eventually he’d get clinched and taken to the mat and he’d be done.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Would monkey arms beat most of the folks in the UFC? Probably, but the elite level is a different story. He hasn’t the skills to hang. One dimension will get your ass knocked out. [/quote]

Exactly, didn’t we already see this in early UFC before the training was as broad as it is now? Granted those guys weren’t on the level of Mayweather, but I think it would still apply.

“I would compare boxing to MMA as - you know jeez, checkers to chess…If you take the branches of a tree, all the techniques, if I do one submission hold on you, you have three different ways to escape. That’s three more branches. And I have three more moves off of each one of those branches. And then it just keeps going from there. It’s very complex.” -Pat Miletich

Unless Floyd is an absolute one-punch knockout guy in 4 oz. gloves (I doubt), he doesn’t stand a chance. And even if he is, that puts him at pretty good, not even close to ‘mop the floor with anyone’ level.

And to the idiots saying Mayweather could learn a some sprawl or ground game and do pretty well, I say bullshit. Mayweather has never worked any ground game in any professional manner, any mixed martial artist worth anything has worked Boxing to at least a professionally competitive level. Several are golden gloves champs.

Seriously, Put an mixed martial artist in the ring against Mayweather, Floyd’s got’em, most likely, hands down. But for some reason put Floyd in the Octagon he’s the hands down winner? He’s not Superman.

He might as well have just said he could whip any man in America in any form of fighting at any time and then go outrun Maurice Greene.

I don’t think only boxers have speed, and I didn’t imply it either. The facts are that Mayweather is a stick of dynamite, and no one in his class has the chin or explosiveness to match him. The best fighters still box, and until they don’t I won’t change what I view as fact.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
I don’t think only boxers have speed, and I didn’t imply it either. The facts are that Mayweather is a stick of dynamite, and no one in his class has the chin or explosiveness to match him. The best fighters still box, and until they don’t I won’t change what I view as fact.[/quote]

Yes - you implied that the boxer would merely have to step back, and that’s all the avoidance needed to avoid a take down. And then all the boxer need do is throw a punch or two, and the MMA guy would be dead. That implies a ton of speed that you seem to think is only in the boxer’s bag of tricks.

Matt Hughes, or Sherk, or any of the elite level grapplers would be able to close much faster than you seem to think.

But you are a boxing guy, and have no real clue about just how fast the MMA world can be. The only real way to settle this is to have Mayweather put his money where his mouth is.

But that won’t happen because talk is cheap - just listen to the crap he is spewing about De La Hoya.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
I don’t think only boxers have speed, and I didn’t imply it either. The facts are that Mayweather is a stick of dynamite, and no one in his class has the chin or explosiveness to match him. The best fighters still box, and until they don’t I won’t change what I view as fact.

Yes - you implied that the boxer would merely have to step back, and that’s all the avoidance needed to avoid a take down. And then all the boxer need do is throw a punch or two, and the MMA guy would be dead. That implies a ton of speed that you seem to think is only in the boxer’s bag of tricks.

Matt Hughes, or Sherk, or any of the elite level grapplers would be able to close much faster than you seem to think.

But you are a boxing guy, and have no real clue about just how fast the MMA world can be. The only real way to settle this is to have Mayweather put his money where his mouth is.

But that won’t happen because talk is cheap - just listen to the crap he is spewing about De La Hoya. [/quote]

Work on reading comprehension. I didn’t say any boxer, I said Mayweather. I have as good a clue as you do boss, maybe more as I’ve actually fought in the ring [granted it’s been awhile].

If Matt Hughes gets ko’d by St. Pierre he’s gonna lose his head by someone with 12-16oz power, not just 4 [not to take anything away from St. Pierre]. I’m sure if the money’s good enough he’d be down, but as is why take a pay cut?

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
I don’t think only boxers have speed, and I didn’t imply it either. The facts are that Mayweather is a stick of dynamite, and no one in his class has the chin or explosiveness to match him. The best fighters still box, and until they don’t I won’t change what I view as fact.[/quote]

FUcking hilarious. The best boxers box. The best fighters fight. Explosiveness and chin are great genetic prerequisites for a fighter, but developing the skills required to dominate the UFC take a lifetime to build.

Lets use Chuck Liddell as an example. Not the best striker or athlete in the world, but if you truly understand the game, not enough can be said about his takedown defense and his ability to get back up once he has been taken down-those are world class aspects of his game. Mayweather could spend the next 5 to 10 years working on that aspect of MMA alone and still not be able to duplicate what Chuck does.