T Nation

Mayweather's Accusations Debatable?

Mayweather accused Pacquiao (yet again) of using performance enhancing drugs as an explanation for Pacquiao’s surge through a record seven weight classes to win seven titles, the latest coming as a welterweight.

It’s not the first time Mayweather Sr. has done that, even though he offered zero proof. And if you talk to Keith Kizer, the executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, he’ll tell you that Pacquiao, who has fought numerous times in Las Vegas, has passed every one of his drug tests. Nevada has one of the strictest testing regimes in the world; results for the fight with Cotto are due Monday or Tuesday, Kizer said.

Opinions: ???

The commission ONLY tests the day of the fight or the weigh in, not sure which one. Not that strict, a fighter can easily use steroids with those tests.
Im not sure if Pac is on anything, but the one thing that concerns me is how can he almost get Knocked-out by Marquez, but walk right through Cottos punches? The bigger u get ur chin doesn’t get stronger…does it? Cotto fuckin hit him hard with no affect! Marquez is not as strong as cotto, but did more damage than cotto how is that? That uppercut Cotto hit Pac with should have floored him.

Im not as educated on fighters chin’s and wut not, but that did stick out to me

Typical Mayweather bullshit.

With the way Manny is, I’d be very, very, very surprised if he was on steroids.

Pacquiao just started his pro career at a good time. He already got a title at age 20, undoubtedly he was probably still growing at that time. He has just been comfortably moving up in weight.

hey Irish or golden gloves, just wondering…How is it that Manny was able to handle Cottos power, but get rattled by Marquez? btoh fighters hit him w/clean powerful shots. does Marquez hit harder than cotto? Do steroids even help a fighters chin? how about HGH? I thought about that after re-watching the cotto/pac fight. would like to hear wut u guys think about that.

I also agree w/ u Irish, Manny doesnt come off as a guy who would juice, but the question above has been in my head

[quote]cutthoat25 wrote:
hey Irish or golden gloves, just wondering…How is it that Manny was able to handle Cottos power, but get rattled by Marquez? btoh fighters hit him w/clean powerful shots. does Marquez hit harder than cotto? Do steroids even help a fighters chin? how about HGH? I thought about that after re-watching the cotto/pac fight. would like to hear wut u guys think about that.

I also agree w/ u Irish, Manny doesnt come off as a guy who would juice, but the question above has been in my head[/quote]

No, it wouldn’t help with your chin. It’s really something you’re born with. You can do things to help it, but ultimately if you’ve a glass jaw you better be able to duck and move.

Pacquiao was taking much more punishment from Marquez, he fought a much different fight with Cotto. Pacquiao got his head snapped back by one of Cotto’s jab, but he effectively seemed to elude his power until Cotto started to fade.

Pacquiao has a pretty good chin too.

It was Floyd Mayweather Sr. who accused him.

It’s possible to speculate about every athlete using steroids.

[quote]goldengloves wrote:
cutthoat25 wrote:

I also agree w/ u Irish, Manny doesnt come off as a guy who would juice, but the question above has been in my head

No, it wouldn’t help with your chin. It’s really something you’re born with. You can do things to help it, but ultimately if you’ve a glass jaw you better be able to duck and move.

Pacquiao was taking much more punishment from Marquez, he fought a much different fight with Cotto. Pacquiao got his head snapped back by one of Cotto’s jab, but he effectively seemed to elude his power until Cotto started to fade.

Pacquiao has a pretty good chin too.[/quote]

Right. Steroids wouldn’t help with your chin at all.

And on top of that, Cotto definitely rattled him a couple times, once in like the fifth as I recall he caught Manny flush. Manny was getting caught by those constantly when he fought Marquez… he was eluding Cotto’s power shots very well.

Had he been caught by Cotto the same number of times he was caught by Marquez, he still wouldn’t be awake yet.

Fuck mayweather. His boxing is beautiful, but he talks ALOT of shit and got a superiority complex to the point where the notion of anyone being at his level or better than him must be cheating.

Needs to learn how to run his mouth like RJJ does. Roy can talk shit, convince people he’s the best there is and put another fighter down all without coming off like a giant twat. That’s one skill Mayweather doesn’t have.

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
Fuck mayweather. His boxing is beautiful, but he talks ALOT of shit and got a superiority complex to the point where the notion of anyone being at his level or better than him must be cheating.

Needs to learn how to run his mouth like RJJ does. Roy can talk shit, convince people he’s the best there is and put another fighter down all without coming off like a giant twat. That’s one skill Mayweather doesn’t have.[/quote]

quoted for truth.

Needs to learn how to run his mouth like RJJ does. Roy can talk shit, convince people he’s the best there is and put another fighter down all without coming off like a giant twat. That’s one skill Mayweather doesn’t have.[/quote]

Not that I don’t agree, but it was Mayweather SR. who said this evidently

Test results back; Pac’s clean.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/mma/boxing/11/24/pacquiao-clean/#ixzz0XocvUEKW

Thanks to the detectives for those highlighting that Mayweather Sr. made the statement. It actually says that in the excerpt I posted (2nd paragraph)…of course, that really doesn’t affect the discussion.

I think that Mayweather is just talking shit to stir up controversy and rivalry to make the fight as huge as possible.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Aussie Davo wrote:

Needs to learn how to run his mouth like RJJ does. Roy can talk shit, convince people he’s the best there is and put another fighter down all without coming off like a giant twat. That’s one skill Mayweather doesn’t have.

Not that I don’t agree, but it was Mayweather SR. who said this evidently
[/quote]

I used to think this, but then I was introduced to Carl Froch, a man who can’t say “Pass the salad” without coming off like a complete cunt.

[quote]duffyj2 wrote:
Aussie Davo wrote:

I used to think this, but then I was introduced to Carl Froch, a man who can’t say “Pass the salad” without coming off like a complete cunt.[/quote]

LOL. Hahah.

Irish, Mayweather Jr. Also said pac was on steroids or HGH, i dont remember which but he says that on that radio interview, i think it was ruggedman…or something like that.\

And no, there aren’t any supplements/drugs out there that will help with your chin. Regarding Marquez rocking pacquiao and Cotto not, i believe the shots that hurt pac in the marquez fight were ones he didnt see, and maybe because pacquiao was cutting a lot of weight back then to make 125, and when he moved up to where he feels more comfortable and probably stronger he has been taking punches better. Also, when Cotto hit pac, he saw them coming and seemed ready to take the hits unlike when marquez hit him. If you watch the marquez fights, whenever pac gets hurt he seemed suprised. One last note… It appeared that Cotto did rock pacquiao with a left hook to the ear that messed up his equilibrium momentarily but oac has always been able to take a pretty good shot

[quote]cutthoat25 wrote:

I also agree w/ u Irish, Manny doesnt come off as a guy who would juice, but the question above has been in my head[/quote]

Ques que c’est la fuck?

[quote]Rampage19 wrote:
Irish, Mayweather Jr. Also said pac was on steroids or HGH, i dont remember which but he says that on that radio interview, i think it was ruggedman…or something like that.\

And no, there aren’t any supplements/drugs out there that will help with your chin. Regarding Marquez rocking pacquiao and Cotto not, i believe the shots that hurt pac in the marquez fight were ones he didnt see, and maybe because pacquiao was cutting a lot of weight back then to make 125, and when he moved up to where he feels more comfortable and probably stronger he has been taking punches better. Also, when Cotto hit pac, he saw them coming and seemed ready to take the hits unlike when marquez hit him. If you watch the marquez fights, whenever pac gets hurt he seemed suprised. One last note… It appeared that Cotto did rock pacquiao with a left hook to the ear that messed up his equilibrium momentarily but oac has always been able to take a pretty good shot[/quote]

In the fourth Pac did look rattled when Cotto had him against the ropes. But after that 2nd knockdown, you can tell it took alot of power off of Cottos punches especially that left hook. So Pac was able to shrug them off more in the later rounds, and don’t forget the beating Cotto took in the 6th-9th rounds, Cotto looked dead tired. I watched the fight a 2nd time with British commentators, and they mentioned this.

In the fourth Pac did look rattled when Cotto had him against the ropes. But after that 2nd knockdown, you can tell it took alot of power off of Cottos punches especially that left hook. So Pac was able to shrug them off more in the later rounds, and don’t forget the beating Cotto took in the 6th-9th rounds, Cotto looked dead tired. I watched the fight a 2nd time with British commentators, and they mentioned this.[/quote]

Good point, are u trying to say he was tired from the weight loss? In my opinion the beating he took took the steam out of him more than the weight cut, cuz cotto did look very well conditioned. when was the last time we saw cotto with that little body fat and muscularity in his back? you know wat i mean?

[quote]Rampage19 wrote:
In the fourth Pac did look rattled when Cotto had him against the ropes. But after that 2nd knockdown, you can tell it took alot of power off of Cottos punches especially that left hook. So Pac was able to shrug them off more in the later rounds, and don’t forget the beating Cotto took in the 6th-9th rounds, Cotto looked dead tired. I watched the fight a 2nd time with British commentators, and they mentioned this.

Good point, are u trying to say he was tired from the weight loss? In my opinion the beating he took took the steam out of him more than the weight cut, cuz cotto did look very well conditioned. when was the last time we saw cotto with that little body fat and muscularity in his back? you know wat i mean?[/quote]

No, the beating Cotto took from rounds 6-9 plus that knockdown in the 4th are what made Cotto weaker with his punches. Cotto himself said the weight didn’t bother him.

But I will say this, I believe anytime two fighters meet at a catch weight, the person who has to come down in weight is at a disadvantage. Pac pretty much came in with the weight he walks around with. The 2lbs Cotto lost might not seem like much to us, but to a fighter of his elite level, it’s huge.

I’m hoping if Pac vs May happens, it’s at 147 not 145 for the welterweight title.

If you’ve got the welterweight title, damn it, let someone fight you at 147.