Mayweather vs Pacquiao

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:

Duran isn’t a big name.

[/quote]

In what world are you living?[/quote]

The modern world.

I actually said “…like Mayweather”, which he isn’t. Take it in context. read what else I wrote. I said hardcore boxing fans aside.

In the modern era he isn’t a big name - when was the last time he was interviewed for his opinion in a big fight? does he do commentary? analysis? no. mainstream interviews? no.

I live in the UK. 9/10 people no Muhammad ali, tommy hearns, sugar ray Robinson, sugar ray Leonard. --Roberto Duran tho? no. he was “just another boxer” of his era ironically.

the only way he got a large portion of people talking about him recently was using moneys name.

[/quote]

I’m sorry, but if the people you talked to in the UK said Duran was “just another boxer” then they obviously don’t know shit.

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:

Duran isn’t a big name.

[/quote]

The modern world.

I actually said “…like Mayweather”, which he isn’t. Take it in context. read what else I wrote. I said hardcore boxing fans aside.

In the modern era he isn’t a big name - when was the last time he was interviewed for his opinion in a big fight? does he do commentary? analysis? no. mainstream interviews? no.

I live in the UK. 9/10 people no Muhammad ali, tommy hearns, sugar ray Robinson, sugar ray Leonard. --Roberto Duran tho? no. he was “just another boxer” of his era ironically.

the only way he got a large portion of people talking about him recently was using moneys name.

[/quote]

I’m sorry, but if the people you talked to in the UK said Duran was “just another boxer” then they obviously don’t know shit.

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:

Duran isn’t a big name.

[/quote]

The modern world.

[/quote]

Sorry for the triple post. Going back and forth from a betting site for tonights game.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]LondonBoxer123 wrote:

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:
Floyd on his style

"There’s nothing cool about taking punishment. Everybody talks about pleasing the fans, but if you don’t have all your faculties and all your screws are loose, the fans are going to move on to the next.

"I truly believe I could have banged with Canelo and eventually knocked him out in probably the eighth round, but I could have taken a lot of punishment also, which could have messed my career up to where I wouldn’t have been able to fight four more fights.

“It hurts my feelings to look at [Muhammad] Ali’s situation. He fought for the people, to please them. You’ve got to fight to please yourself first. Self-preservation.”

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/sep/26/floyd-mayweather-boxing-money-uk-fight[/quote]

I don’t disagree with what Floyd says particularly, especially not for younger fighters. But he’s a 36 year old man who’s made hundreds of millions of dollars already. If he’s not doing it for the fans, the glory or his legacy, then it makes no sense for him to still be fighting.

The idea that Duran was ‘just another fighter’ is so misguided that it’s not really worth addressing at any length. Duran was perhaps an all time top ten p4p fighter, and was certainly one of the most formidable guys to ever enter the ring. Modern ‘fans’ may not know him, but that’s because they are mostly tapout wearing fan boys who think they are tough guys because mummy and daddy pay their gym dues and they did some body sparring once or twice. They don’t have the attention span, or the depth of understanding of the sport, to appreciate the level some fighters have reached and the kind of factors that can prove decisive at that point. They just say Mayweather is the greatest because they’ve seen him beat everyone and keep his ‘0’.

My opinion is that Mayweather would be beatable for a great fighter who was either an aggressive front foot fighter with a dynamic defense, or a taller rangier fighter with great fundamentals. That makes Duran and Hearns pretty good bets. SRL was just all round slicker than Mayweather in my opinion. Hagler would have done bad things to little Floyd too. And that’s just the four kings, before we go back to guys like Henry Armstrong, Willie Pep, etc etc. For me, he would be lucky to be rated in the top 25 all time fighters just in weights he has actually fought at![/quote]

Great post. Exactly what I think.

Roberto Duran is the greatest lightweight of all time. Of all fucking time. That includes Mayweather’s very strong run at that weight - but Duran’s was better.

The man started off just as small as Mayweather, but ended up fighting another all time great - Marvin Hagler - at middlweight, just to fight him.

Nobody is like Roberto Duran. Nobody.

[/quote]

Let us not forget Duran’s great victory over Iran Barkley,classic fight.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
This is where I disagree with everybody. I don’t think there’s anybody that can make him change his game plan. Any fighters that try to force it will get frustrated, lose their technique, or walk into a punch a la hatton.

The only reason I wouldn’t give him GOAT is because Leanord dominated way more weight classes. The only way I see Mayweather losing is against someone heavier who can take a punch and throw a more solid one.[/quote]

But that’s cause you’re seeing him against other guys who box in this day and age, when there’s a much smaller pool of good professional fighters.

Back in the day (70s and back) you had a HUGE pool of fighters, and guys who had those sort of genetic gifts that Mayweather has weren’t playing pro football like they’re doing now - they were fighting.

Leonard was as fast as Mayweather, but had an awesome jab and hit fucking HARD… he would beat Mayweather. Duran was a born fighter who could box, and threw lots of punches in combinations. If Mayweather decided to fight him, Duran would hurt him. Hearns, fighting at 147, was gigantic and hard to hide from. He had a great jab, his reach was tremendous, and he had a huge right hand behind it - so huge that it stunned Marvin Hagler at 160.

These guys were no joke dude. They fought more fights, against better competition, than May ever has, and more importantly, they were also genetically gifted people.

Think about how bad Sugar Ray Leonard mauled his father. Think about how badly Chavez mauled his uncle. When you’re in with truly great fighters, the game changes.

[/quote]

Nah. I may not box, but I’ve been watching for since early 80’s and when I was older vhs fights with my pops. I realize this doesn’t only happen in boxing but in all sports that don’t have measured numbers people think the athletes were better in their child hood generations. It’s like thinking somebody is 6’5 when your a kid then realizing they’re only 6’ when you grow up.

I just don’t agree that SRL, Hearns, and Duran could handle Mayweather in a boxing match in todays ideology. Mayweather has nearly showed a willingness to lose a fight being patient enough to not let the other guy hit him. His rolls are nearly perfect, and he won’t succumb to one punch.

I remember thinking SRL was incredibly fast, but watching him over an over I realized his speed was just much faster than the guys he fought. It’s not going to catch Mayweather off guard, not until recently has Mayweather slowed down, and now that he has his intelligence has made up for it. Because of his speed SRL left himself open a lot. If Hearns could hit him, Mayweather would eat him up. Eventually SRL would either get frustrated and stop dancing, or try to gloat and lose the fight on decision.

Duran would lose too. I remember him as a fighter that can take a punch. Those are the ones that have the most trouble with Mayweather because he doesn’t mind sitting outside throwing one or two accurate as fuck jabs for 12 rounds. Winning by decision then going to the club.

It’s unfortunate for the fans, healthy for the fighters Mayweather is the true consummate boxer. All he care’s about is winning the match, not the fight. This is the only way I see anyone beating him in his prime is if judging or rules forced him to show a “fight”. It would be nice to see him in the 1930’s when boxers fought until knockout.

Fans will know him soon.

Roberto Duran is the greatest lightweight of all time. Of all fucking time. That includes Mayweather’s very strong run at that weight - but Duran’s was better.

The man started off just as small as Mayweather, but ended up fighting another all time great - Marvin Hagler - at middlweight, just to fight him.

[/quote]

Nobody is like Roberto Duran.

Now that Manny appears to be fading the tough talk gets louder.How could anybody think that Mayweather could beat SRL,Hearns or Duran,these guys all fought bigger men and won.Mayweather ducked a guy that started as a flyweight fcs.Duran could blow his nose on Mayweather during a fight and not care about getting hit.

[quote]donnydarkoirl wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nobody is like Roberto Duran.
[/quote]

Duran was amazing. I would put him in the top 3 lightweights of all time. I just don’t know if he comes out ahead of Joe Gans or Benny Leonard. He might. This is a case where my top three are in “any order”.

I’m curious, what puts him above those two? I think he had(well he obviously hits a lot harder than Leonard now) far heavier hands than Benny Leonard but I have no idea about Gans. Granted comparing Duran to fighters from the early twentieth century might be a bit much.

Regards,

Robert A

Fans will know him soon.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1781827/[/quote]

This movie could suck, and they would still have my money.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]fnf wrote:

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:

Duran isn’t a big name.

[/quote]

The modern world.

[/quote]

Sorry for the triple post. Going back and forth from a betting site for tonights game.[/quote]

woah. lol I was just being petulant. I only used this description because he said it off Mayweather. it wasn’t my own choice of words.

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:
Roberto Duran isn’t on Mayweathers level. Guys getting publicity off Mayweathers name. he described Mayweather as “just another fight” if he was in Durans era and “nothing special”. Ridiculous. Duran isn’t a big name like Mayweather. And he isn’t a big name for his time. People don’t mention him with SRL and Hearn. Unless there mentioning he was just another fighter that lost. He said hed simply walk Mayweather down - ye, and hed simply get KO.
[/quote]
I’m sorry but this is Bullshit.

To make a statement like this about Duran illustrates a lack of information.
I think perhaps you should explore his history as I think you would enjoy it.
To hypothesise that all he would do is try walk down Mayweather is false. He mixed things up with Leonard; outfought, out thought, outboxed and beat him.

Duran was perhaps the greatest Lightweight of all time and At his prime Duran was a cult hero; not only for his performances, but for the aura around him. He was revered by the masses and the boxing aficianados alike for his visceral nature as much as Dempsey, Chavez or Tyson.

EDIT: Ok, I never read the full thread- I didnt see the defense of Duran before I posted.
He’s also having a biopic made of his life. Man was a Legend.[/quote]

I accept he had more in his locker. if you look at the link below though, I was objecting to hisc comments where he makes it sound simplistic to beat mayweather.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/floyd-mayweather-just-another-guy-era-says-roberto-135600471.html

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:

[/quote]
Interesting survey. Can we see the actual published document?

BTW, the idea that all of these people know SRL and Tommy Hearns but not Duran makes little sense considering that among their biggest fights Duran was an opponent. In fact, it could be argued that SRL’s two biggest fights were with Duran…and Duran won one of them which makes it a little odd that he would be considered “just another boxer.”

If someone knows SRL and not Duran I would call them a liar. The idea that someone would know Hearns and not the more popular Duran is also ridiculous. [/quote]

lol! cmon man, wasn’t it obvious that the figure was simply to illustrate a point and not taken from any hard evidence. my own perception.

AGAIN I say, I only described him as “just another fighter” in those words because he applied it to Mayweather.

IMO if you ask people to name boxers from the golden era, you hear Ali, Foreman, SRL, SRR. Duran isn’t on their level of popularity. He likely is in the boxing community, but not amongst part-time fight fans. and I said his comments (about mayweather) came across as trolling. I think he spoke so disrespectfully of Mayweather so people would take note. that’s just how I feel.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
This is where I disagree with everybody. I don’t think there’s anybody that can make him change his game plan. Any fighters that try to force it will get frustrated, lose their technique, or walk into a punch a la hatton.

The only reason I wouldn’t give him GOAT is because Leanord dominated way more weight classes. The only way I see Mayweather losing is against someone heavier who can take a punch and throw a more solid one.[/quote]

But that’s cause you’re seeing him against other guys who box in this day and age, when there’s a much smaller pool of good professional fighters.

Back in the day (70s and back) you had a HUGE pool of fighters, and guys who had those sort of genetic gifts that Mayweather has weren’t playing pro football like they’re doing now - they were fighting.

Leonard was as fast as Mayweather, but had an awesome jab and hit fucking HARD… he would beat Mayweather. Duran was a born fighter who could box, and threw lots of punches in combinations. If Mayweather decided to fight him, Duran would hurt him. Hearns, fighting at 147, was gigantic and hard to hide from. He had a great jab, his reach was tremendous, and he had a huge right hand behind it - so huge that it stunned Marvin Hagler at 160.

These guys were no joke dude. They fought more fights, against better competition, than May ever has, and more importantly, they were also genetically gifted people.

Think about how bad Sugar Ray Leonard mauled his father. Think about how badly Chavez mauled his uncle. When you’re in with truly great fighters, the game changes.

[/quote]

Nah. I may not box, but I’ve been watching for since early 80’s and when I was older vhs fights with my pops. I realize this doesn’t only happen in boxing but in all sports that don’t have measured numbers people think the athletes were better in their child hood generations. It’s like thinking somebody is 6’5 when your a kid then realizing they’re only 6’ when you grow up.

I just don’t agree that SRL, Hearns, and Duran could handle Mayweather in a boxing match in todays ideology. Mayweather has nearly showed a willingness to lose a fight being patient enough to not let the other guy hit him. His rolls are nearly perfect, and he won’t succumb to one punch.

I remember thinking SRL was incredibly fast, but watching him over an over I realized his speed was just much faster than the guys he fought. It’s not going to catch Mayweather off guard, not until recently has Mayweather slowed down, and now that he has his intelligence has made up for it. Because of his speed SRL left himself open a lot. If Hearns could hit him, Mayweather would eat him up. Eventually SRL would either get frustrated and stop dancing, or try to gloat and lose the fight on decision.

Duran would lose too. I remember him as a fighter that can take a punch. Those are the ones that have the most trouble with Mayweather because he doesn’t mind sitting outside throwing one or two accurate as fuck jabs for 12 rounds. Winning by decision then going to the club.

It’s unfortunate for the fans, healthy for the fighters Mayweather is the true consummate boxer. All he care’s about is winning the match, not the fight. This is the only way I see anyone beating him in his prime is if judging or rules forced him to show a “fight”. It would be nice to see him in the 1930’s when boxers fought until knockout.[/quote]

we DO need a like button. I think if one fight here best says unanimous decision, its Mayweather v Duran.

I didn’t understand Durans comments about Money being done after 4 rounds. Floyd is in incredible shape. id hazard a guess that whilst not all will agree his ability is there with the ATGs, that his conditioning however is second to none.

[quote]statemachine wrote:
Now that Manny appears to be fading the tough talk gets louder.How could anybody think that Mayweather could beat SRL,Hearns or Duran,these guys all fought bigger men and won.Mayweather ducked a guy that started as a flyweight fcs.Duran could blow his nose on Mayweather during a fight and not care about getting hit.[/quote]

He never ducked pacquiao.

The pacquiao fight WAS happening, it was set to go. It is Bob arum and bob arum alone who killed that fight, because Pacquiao is his sacred cow and he HATES (and I do mean hate, not dislike) mayweather.

what do you think victor ortiz was? It was a tune up for southpaws in preparation for Manny LMAO

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:

Now that Manny appears to be fading the tough talk gets louder.How could anybody think that Mayweather could beat SRL,Hearns or Duran,these guys all fought bigger men and won.Mayweather ducked a guy that started as a flyweight fcs.Duran could blow his nose on Mayweather during a fight and not care about getting hit.[/quote]

The pacquiao fight WAS happening, it was set to go. It is Bob arum and bob arum alone who killed that fight, because Pacquiao is his sacred cow and he HATES (and I do mean hate, not dislike) mayweather.

what do you think victor ortiz was? It was a tune up for southpaws in preparation for Manny LMAO[/quote]

This is what I have always thought as well. Ortiz was the warmup. No other reason to fight him other than he wanted to deal with a hard hitting southpaw, probably to work some things out.

what do you think victor ortiz was? It was a tune up for southpaws in preparation for Manny LMAO[/quote]

Really.

Mayweather nixes 50-50 for Pacquiao

Roberto Duran, and no one else.

Duran would have knocked Floyd out. At any weight. And @ 135 it was be Roberto by rape. Floyd would NOT do well against Duran’s style.

Look at what Castillo did to Floyd!!

Now, imagine a prime Duran. He would swarm him ass and give him no space. He would destroy him.

Anybody now who follows sports knows who Duran is.

Anybody who was an adult in the 1980s probably recognizes him.

Really.

Mayweather nixes 50-50 for Pacquiao [/quote]

Did you even read the article?

Let me clarify the relevant parts for you:

"Mayweather offered $40 million to Pacquiao last month, with the Filipino not getting any share of the PPV revenue.

Pacquiao nixed the offer, proposing instead a 45-45 sharing with the other 10 percent going to the winner of the bout."

“Hall of Famer Arum went further, saying heâ??s willing to give Mayweather $50 million, provided also that the prison-bound (June 1) fighter doesnâ??t get any PPV share.”

In what part of the last however many years Mayweather has been on top, in what part, has any challenger gotten a 50-50 split. It does not happen.

Now this seems like a generous offer to the unknowing eye. But heres the thing: the PPV revenue for this fight would be MASSIVE, $50m is chump change compared to what mayweather would draw from his usual fee + the PPV. Hence why he was willing to go $40m if pacquiao forgoed his share of the PPV.

The idea that mayweather is running scared is preposterous and is pure wishful fantasy; mayweather has beaten better fighters, has no trouble southpaws and is stylistically a foil to manny (why people still seem to think manny will give floyd problems is beyond me, the marquez fights are evidence enough)

You and a lot of people seem to be confused: Mayweather doesn’t have to fight pacquiao. Pacquiao has to fight mayweather.

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:
I accept he had more in his locker. if you look at the link below though, I was objecting to hisc comments where he makes it sound simplistic to beat mayweather.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/floyd-mayweather-just-another-guy-era-says-roberto-135600471.html[/quote]
Thanks for the courteous reply- it was more than I deserved given my little outburst.
The article- it made me laugh.

“If I was going up against a boxer like that, I would bust him up. I would bust him all over the place…the arms, the ribs. The first thing you have to do is forget about the head. The head is smaller than the body. You have to break a man down, and in order to do so you’re going to hit him in the kidneys and he’ll slowly begin to stop [his movement] and after four rounds he will no longer be able to walk,” Duran said"

This is so typical of Duran and betrays all that he used to be.
The machismo, the unrelenting aggression and lack of any fear.
Were he in this era Duran would have chased a fight with Mayweather, he would have hated him as he did Leonard and he would have given us a real superfight.