Mayweather vs. Ortiz

[quote]roguevampire wrote:

[quote]Robert A wrote:

the overream vs werdum matchup coming up soon is of much more interest to me. I can’t wait to see overream knock this guy senseless in the first round. If werdum thinks this is the same 205lber he faces many years ago, hes sadly mistaken. werdum couldn’t get arlovski down, how on earth is going to get a monster like overream down. and god forbid he or anyone else tries and stands with him, its good night for them.

He didn’t win the K1 grand prix for being just a decent stand up fighter. hes the best, period. we will see how he deals with guys trying to take him down. but overream is well versed on the ground having fought many wrestlers at 205. he won some and lost some, but now that his skill level is much higher, and his size and strength are much greater, i don’t see anyone beating him. but in mma anything can happen.[/quote]

I think you may have posted this in the wrong thread. This thread is about Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Victor Ortiz. A boxing match.

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

yes, i forgot, people here absolutely never ever ever go off track of the main topic, lol. [/quote]

That wasn’t off topic- that’s a different subject out of nowhere. There’s a shitload of MMA threads, go discuss MMA on them.

[quote]goldengloves wrote:

[quote]Robert A wrote:
Ok, how dominant do both Mayweather and Pac have to be in order for this to work? KO’s? Will the hype machine progress even if one or both have trouble with their respective opponents?

I want Pac vs Mayweather to happen very badly. I guess I am being a pessimist, but I can see either one having a little too much trouble in these fights, and getting gun shy about taking on the other. Or Roger Mayweather gets arrested for kicking puppies or some shit.

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

Summer of 2012 looks like a strong possibility to me. Mayweather is an active fighter again and will be fighting, Pac is fighting in November, and the summer usually produces good gates and PPV buy rates. There will be enough time to promote the fight and if Pacquiao and Mayweather look strong in in their upcoming fights I could see more money being on the table.

[/quote]

Keep in mind- a fall with no NFL = a boon for boxing. I for one hope this lockout keeps going forever.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]Robert A wrote:

the overream vs werdum matchup coming up soon is of much more interest to me. I can’t wait to see overream knock this guy senseless in the first round. If werdum thinks this is the same 205lber he faces many years ago, hes sadly mistaken. werdum couldn’t get arlovski down, how on earth is going to get a monster like overream down. and god forbid he or anyone else tries and stands with him, its good night for them.

He didn’t win the K1 grand prix for being just a decent stand up fighter. hes the best, period. we will see how he deals with guys trying to take him down. but overream is well versed on the ground having fought many wrestlers at 205. he won some and lost some, but now that his skill level is much higher, and his size and strength are much greater, i don’t see anyone beating him. but in mma anything can happen.[/quote]

I think you may have posted this in the wrong thread. This thread is about Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Victor Ortiz. A boxing match.

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

yes, i forgot, people here absolutely never ever ever go off track of the main topic, lol. [/quote]

That wasn’t off topic- that’s a different subject out of nowhere. There’s a shitload of MMA threads, go discuss MMA on them.[/quote]

out of nowhere?? no, talking about football is out of nowhere. mma is a fighting sport, along with boxing.

[quote]Robert A wrote:
Ok, how dominant do both Mayweather and Pac have to be in order for this to work? KO’s? Will the hype machine progress even if one or both have trouble with their respective opponents?

I want Pac vs Mayweather to happen very badly. I guess I am being a pessimist, but I can see either one having a little too much trouble in these fights, and getting gun shy about taking on the other. Or Roger Mayweather gets arrested for kicking puppies or some shit.

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

Summer of 2012 looks like a strong possibility to me. Mayweather is an active fighter again and will be fighting, Pac is fighting in November, and the summer usually produces good gates and PPV buy rates. There will be enough time to promote the fight and if Pacquiao and Mayweather look strong in in their upcoming fights I could see more money being on the table.

[/quote]

Keep in mind- a fall with no NFL = a boon for boxing. I for one hope this lockout keeps going forever.[/quote]

Wait, I get Mayweather vs Pac AND I don’t feel like shit everytime the Vikings screw up (every other Sunday or so)? No…my luck doesn’t run that way.

[quote]Robert A wrote:

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

[/quote]

Keep in mind- a fall with no NFL = a boon for boxing. I for one hope this lockout keeps going forever.[/quote]

To some extent I agree with that. If only some big fights could be shown on free TV rather than HBO or Showtime. I do think that a lack of NFL football could raise the buy rate of a Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight though. I think a lot of people that could care less about any combat sport would buy it just to have something to watch with friends and enjoy watching the highest profile fight of recent times.

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]Robert A wrote:

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

[/quote]

Wait, I get Mayweather vs Pac AND I don’t feel like shit everytime the Vikings screw up (every other Sunday or so)? No…my luck doesn’t run that way.[/quote]

Hahah, I feel the same way about the Giants… they can keep their late season collapse to themselves this time, the fucks…

they can keep their late season collapse to themselves this time, the fucks…[/quote]

Well said. Exactly how I feel about the Vikings.

So, will Mayweather have any difficulty in this fight? Will Pac lose and fuck things up?

[quote]Robert A wrote:

they can keep their late season collapse to themselves this time, the fucks…[/quote]

So, will Mayweather have any difficulty in this fight? Will Pac lose and fuck things up?[/quote]

No, Mayweather wont. I think he’ll win this fight 10 rounds to two. Pacquaio will most likely win pretty convincingly, Marquez has been getting caught pretty consistently in his fights and Pacquiao has improved his use of angles and ability to use both hands.

The fight will appear competitive and after the fight people will congratulate Ortiz on a “courageous” showing, but he’s still dropping a comfortable UD to Mayweather.

…which is pretty much the way I see Froch Ward going…

[quote]Robert A wrote:

So, will Mayweather have any difficulty in this fight? Will Pac lose and fuck things up?[/quote]

No, Mayweather wont. I think he’ll win this fight 10 rounds to two. Pacquaio will most likely win pretty convincingly, Marquez has been getting caught pretty consistently in his fights and Pacquiao has improved his use of angles and ability to use both hands. [/quote]

I agree with the Mayweather pick- Ortiz is young and tough, but May will eventually pick him apart. I see it being closer than 10-2… but not by much.

Marquez is going to be a much harder fight than most people think. And by harder, I mean Marquez will win.

[quote]duffyj2 wrote:
The fight will appear competitive and after the fight people will congratulate Ortiz on a “courageous” showing, but he’s still dropping a comfortable UD to Mayweather.

…which is pretty much the way I see Froch Ward going…[/quote]

It’s possible to have a good fight while it isn’t close. Mayweather doesn’t have to power to keep Ortiz back and Ortiz wont have any problems coming forward and throwing punches. I don’t expect him to win very many rounds but he’ll give Mayweather enough to work with so it’ll be an entertaining fight.

[quote]Robert A wrote:

No, Mayweather wont. I think he’ll win this fight 10 rounds to two. Pacquaio will most likely win pretty convincingly, Marquez has been getting caught pretty consistently in his fights and Pacquiao has improved his use of angles and ability to use both hands. [/quote]

I agree with the Mayweather pick- Ortiz is young and tough, but May will eventually pick him apart. I see it being closer than 10-2… but not by much.

Marquez is going to be a much harder fight than most people think. And by harder, I mean Marquez will win.[/quote]

I don’t think Marquez can get the best of Pacquiao this time around. If the trilogy came to an end when it should have came to an end I would give him a very good chance but he’ll stand and fight with him while Pacquiao has improved enough to make it a very difficult fight for Marquez. If Marquez tried to outbox Pacquiao I think it would be another close one but he’s too eager to trade.

It’s possible to have a good fight while it isn’t close. Mayweather doesn’t have to power to keep Ortiz back and Ortiz wont have any problems coming forward and throwing punches. I don’t expect him to win very many rounds but he’ll give Mayweather enough to work with so it’ll be an entertaining fight.[/quote]

Call me crazy, but I think Mayweather is going to score two knockdowns. They’ll be flash knockdowns, but Ortiz will hit the canvass nonetheless.

[quote]duffyj2 wrote:

It’s possible to have a good fight while it isn’t close. Mayweather doesn’t have to power to keep Ortiz back and Ortiz wont have any problems coming forward and throwing punches. I don’t expect him to win very many rounds but he’ll give Mayweather enough to work with so it’ll be an entertaining fight.[/quote]

Call me crazy, but I think Mayweather is going to score two knockdowns. They’ll be flash knockdowns, but Ortiz will hit the canvass nonetheless. [/quote]

Nah. It took two pure punchers like Maidana and Berto to put Ortiz down… May doesn’t have that kind of power at welterweight.

If anything, I could see Mayweather getting caught and maybe getting a flash knockdown, and then coming back to dominate after that, ala the Mosley fight. It’s always a factor when you have a guy that can punch through a fuckin wall like Ortiz.