Mayweather vs McGregor

Yes, you may have a point. But it is difficult to separate the fighters that Dana protects from the regular body of fighters as the protected fighters never really get challenged in areas that they are weak in… For example we have both mentioned Edgar as being someone that McGregor should have fought. But, I wonder how many other good grapplers that McGregor was protected from? Some people that were not even signed to fight in the UFC because Dana White has a bias against wrestling as he feels it is not as exciting as watching two people striking. I of course disagree but he is listening to hordes of uneducated fans…I suppose I can’t blame him. But what the UFC has become is not completely honest mma any longer.

I give McGregor his due as a very good stand up fighter. I give him far less credit as a grappler. And to my point I don’t think Dana White gives him much credit in that area either or he would have faced Edgar and perhaps some other good fighting grapplers (and he would have signed more to the UFC). Instead he matches him up against Mendez on less than two weeks notice. Anyone who doesn’t see that obvious charade is truly a McGregor fan boy.

He did beat Aldo and I give him much credit for this. And perhaps simply because of that victory he should be referred to as “really good”. I won’t argue that point. But as a protected fighter we will not know for a long time exactly how good he really is. So…I will reserve judgment and simply maintain that he is certainly not well balanced which was and always has been my point. And in a real mma match against a man who is a really good grappler and is in shape to fight I believe McGregor loses. But don’t hold your breath waiting for that fight to happen because after the Mayweather sideshow McGregor will most likely keep fighting stand-up fighters so that Dana White can continue to pile up the cash.

well, anyways

You’re all gonna eat your words.

McGregor via KO

1 Like

I just want to say after reading this it is really interesting to me that so many think Frankie has such a good chance against Connor. I think he is too small and way too hittable. Mcgregor cracks and Frankie gets hit alot and doesn’t have a crazy good chin. I don’t think the wrestling advantage he would have would offset how much damage he would have to take to get in on and stay on Connor. Just my opinion though so who knows. Would be an interesting fight but so would a whole bunch of other ones if Connor would actually fight mma fights.

Oh and to stay on topic Mayweather by unanimous whatever he wants.

1 Like

Stallone: McGregor vs GGG is fun to think about, but this would not be a competitive fight. GGG would knock him out inside of 3 rounds. I would love to see Gennady get the payday though.

Connor is a good fighter who was well managed and promoted and yes, to some degree protected. I think he would have had a really tough time with Frankie Edgar, but we’ll never know. I like Connor, but it is tough to cheer for someone who has benefited from special treatment by the UFC. The only two division champ in any combat sport that I’m aware of who’s never had a single title defense.

The only reason I’m giving McGregor any chance at all, is Mayweather’s age and inactivity. Although there are a few tough boxers between 147-154, there are no big stars and probably nobody active today that I would make a favorite against Mayweather. If I wouldn’t pick any of the top boxers at that weight to beat Floyd, why would I think an MMA fighter with no pro boxing fights is going to win.

I never really thought the Floyd-PacMan fight was going to be competitive either and it was a boring fight that set all the PPV records. This will be the same. Floyd has done a good job promoting himself and convincing people to buy his fights despite his aversion to taking risks later in his career. I appreciate Floyd’s skill and ability to win fights later in his career as his physical abilities decline, but he is no longer much fun to watch.

Just one last comment on the recent controversy with Paulie Malinaggi getting “knocked down” in training against Connor. Paulie was a good, but not great 140-147 lbs fighter who is retired, well past his prime and feather-fisted. It’s hard to know who’s version of events to believe, but it ultimately doesn’t matter. Controversy sells fights. Seems kinda weird to me that the fighter at the center of a controversy which will surely bring in extra fan interest and maybe a few more PPV buys, also works for the company promoting the fight. Paulie is part of the broadcast team for Showtime PPV and will even be calling this fight. Very strange to me that he would be working as a sparring partner for one of the participants.

Paulie was brought in to get his ass whooped for all the shit he spoke.
He got concussed, realized he’s been punked, and left with angst. The fact that he actually accepted the offer to go to Vegas was naive on his part. Out of all the boxers out there, did he really think Conor wanted or needed his advice?
The entire sparring session will probably be released after the fight. Wonder what Pauline is gonna say then. Poor guy.

Paulie was brought in to be taken advantage of and make it look like Connor was having success in sparring against a former world champ. Connor is pretty tough beating up on a retired fighter who’s wasn’t in shape to go 12 rounds. It’s actually pretty sad that in the 20+ rounds of sparring footage that surely exist, those short bullshit clips that Dana posted represent the most success Connor had.

I understand why they wouldn’t want to release the full 12 rounds right before the Mayweather fight. They obviously don’t want to give Floyd a whole bunch of footage to analyze. But if Paulie really got “his ass whooped” they should have more footage they could release than that? If Connor really wanted to make a point, then why didn’t he knock Paulie out. If he can’t ko an out of shape, retired fighter who was never half the fighter Floyd is, how is he going to ko floyd?

And it not like Paulie was the first or only fighter in boxing or mma to call Connor out and talk shit. He’s just the only one Connor thought he could look good against. How many fighters in both sports have tried to get a payday by talking shit about Connor. Saying that’s the reason for bringing in Paulie is bullshit.Pretty sure Canelo talked shit too, I’d love to see how that would go lol.

Obviously Paulie was brought in to test mcgregor and post some material making him(Paulie) look bad. But the poor guy with his endless whining on that knock down. claiming it was a push… it makes it way worse.

and the longer this whole hype shit is going on the more i have some doubt sneaking in conor might beat him with his magic… of course thats unrealistic but thats just mcgregors superior fight selling skills.

But as a lifelong martial artist i really hope on the following:

1. Mayweather wins decisively
    for the sake of keeping boxing credibility there is no room for error here . Mayweather has to show up in shape , not get touched and beat the shit out of him. everything else would make me doubt the credibility of the sport. The point is McGregor is a great striker in MMA but he has no real Boxing backgorund , if he would land on the greatest defensive boxer of all time … the public opinion on boxing would suffer dramaticly

2. i hope it is a financial desaster
    this is a freak-circus which might be fun to watch, but what does that mean if a jon jones - DC 2 match makes only 0.8 million PPVs and this freak show makes 4+ million??? it has the potential to damage all martial arts big as a sport.

As a business man i have to say if this is a success the next logical fight then has to be :
Stipe Miocic vs a bear in a judo match

Joking aside the events would take over and the competition takes over …

whats your view

What I want doesn’t make spit difference in what will actually happen. Personally, I want Mayweather flat on the mat, bleeding, in a state of utter confusion.

But, reality can be harsh. Mayweather (personal opinion about him aside) has been in the boxing world for a long, long time. A record of 49-0 is highly impressive and shows that he is very talented. Boxing is what he does (or at least did) and he excelled at it. And damn he is fast and accurate with amazing timing skills.

McGregor is strong and if/when he lands a punch, you feel it deep. He isn’t a boxer by training. He is a fighter, no doubt, but boxing is a very specific style. He is unpredictable, so maybe that will play into his favor. He is taller, and his reach is longer, so he could pick Mayweather off from a distance. He is also used to being hit harder than Floyd can give, especially when you consider the gloves.

Bottom line? I take Conor for the win. His youth versus Floyd’s age cannot be disputed, and I really think that will be the deciding factor. I give it 4-5 rounds.

It’s going to look alot like the Floyd vs Gatti fight, which was a massacre. However, Conor doesn’t have anywhere near Gatti level heart, we all saw him fold against Nate in their first fight. Gatti would have fought to the death had Buddy McGirt not stopped it.

The speed advantage (hand speed, feet, defense) for Floyd is going to be absolutely insane. Conor will be very aggressive the first few rounds but he won’t touch Floyd, and Floyd will hit him with some massive body shots. By round 3, being frozen by not being able to touch Floyd, in combination with those body shots, Conor will be completely neutralized. Floyd will then look to take Conor’s chin off with some massive shots. I don’t see any way this fight goes past 6 rounds. This fight will most likely end with Conor’s corner throwing in the towel, but I believe there’s a good chance that Conor goes down on a body shot and basically quits. My preferred ending would be to see Conor floored a few times from body shots, him getting up & continuing, then Floyd feinting to the body & catching Conor clean on the chin with a lead right + left hook combo, knocking him out cold.

The only thing i’m worried about is Floyd toying with Conor too much, extending the fight. Not in the sense that it opens up Floyd for more risk. I just want to see Floyd truly try and hurt Conor without holding back.

If Conor shows some true will to win against Floyd, i’ll be impressed. I give him one round with that mentality, until he realizes what he’s really in there with. Then I fully expect to see him fold and try to survive, which will be absolutely impossible & a horrible move strategically. He’s just going to get picked apart. Furthermore, you know damn well Dana White wants Conor to fight in the UFC again… They are basically throwing him in to the wolves with this fight - and risk their “product” being severely damaged. That’s another reason I don’t expect Conor to “fight to the death”.

Post fight interview prediction:

Conor: I kewdn’t get up. I tried. That fookin shot landed right on me liver. I’m sorry I let me fans down but I just couldn’t fookin get up. I said i’d knock Floyd out in tree rounds and I really tried. But fook, what can you do. I hold me head up and I gave it me best. Floyd is the better boxer but If he wants to step into the octagon i’ll sleep him fast, everybody knows that.

:confused:

At the end of this event, Floyd will be 49-0-0 not 50-0-0, with 1 circus win that doesn’t count against a guy who had no place being in the boxing ring with him.

1 Like

So glad this fight happens!
Trump won, MMA’s and boxing’s biggest stars will clash, I guess now only North Korea has to invade Red Dawn style.
Such a weird but ultimately grandiose spectacle!
And I love the shitty, elitist attitude from boxing fans.

What will they do when Conor won’t simply melt in the first few rounds?

Right, “he’s toying with him”.
Roooight.

The match makes sense from every angle except that fans will never get to see Floyd versus GGG. Also good: if the PPV record gets smashed to bits, the tears will never dry: Combat forums all over the world will experience a mandatory Irish history month.

The fight itself, from a technical point of view, is fairly simple although the possibilities branch more heavily than boxing-peons would like to believe.

Clearly, the favorite is Prettyboy.
However, the raging leprechaun has youth, height, size & mass, reach, ego and wrestling in his favour. Some of these are actually quite important, namely: youth, height, size & mass, reach, ego and wrestling.
Oh and he’s a southpaw!

In our little forum, we’ve enjoyed many lively debates about prime Fedor versus trans-Croc-odiles but the REAL man-beast debate was about Floyd versus the Ronda.
Many commentators failed to understand how easy it is to tie up with a boxer and how shitty their clinch often is.

Now Floyd may knock the blond hammyweight silly when attempting to grapple or not. Who knows ( I guess we’ll find out when Kim Jong Un’s paratroopers raise the Ramhongsaek Konghwagukgi over the Madison Square Garden).

But one guy won’t have a problem taking a breather if he feels like it - and that is the long handed Irish. Just as the Klitschkos loved to pummel from a distance and rest their long, white, slavic torsos for a bit on a less and less struggling meatstool when things got too hooky.
Same with fookin McGregor: he’ll try to make it revolve around long powershots and nothing else.

Against almost all the rest of lighter boxing elite, Ireland would have to take a dive with this strategy.
Canelo, who’s met defeat by Mayweather’s brittle hands, would smother Conor. Even Pacman would overwhelm and abuse the slick superfight-merchant.
But Mayweather is an extremely cautious pugilist and prefers to react lightning quick to openings while controlling bouts most of the time via a retreating jab.

Summa summarum, it’ll look like this:
Maybe there will be some initial sparks, but after a minute, both will be cautious and lay out a few traps. Conor can’t blow his wad and Mayweather cannot risk to dump his legacy down the toilet.

The real interesting part begins around the fourth round.
McGregor has the best chance to land his left when the initial freshness and jitteryness wore off and Mayweather still has not fully digested the Straight Blast Sean nos - but he will work the body at this point, which in this fight is a total no brainer:
MMA fighters spar all the time against heavier guys. Rest assured, McGregor has been hit by more powerful dudes than Mayweather (it’s as ridiculous as thinking endurance will be an issue). But boxers are the best guys at taking bodyblows, maybe together with Kyokushinkaikan. It’s simply not as prudent in MMA.

Combined with McGregor’s stance we can expect golden Philipp Plein gloves knocking more on a green Versace waistband than on 8oz Ralph Laurens.

If McGregor can connect here a bit and survive all rounds, he has already won, sortoff.
Boxing will make this into a hysterical “he can’t even beat a retired 40-year old!” but it will be embarrassing.
Still, such a scenario is not a safe bet.

Also, depending on the ref, McGregor can clinch himself with a sore liver to a decision like a Pancrase fighter who’s rope escaping a heelhook.
In that case, the boxing community will have a point.

The fact that these two are getting paid what they are for this circus just shows that idiocracy has arrived. It’s not a matter of who wins so much as if Conor gets seriously injured. But hell, for $30 million I’d get in the ring just so my kids could inherit the money. To be clear, I can’t blame either one for participating. I’m just amazed that people are paying to watch it.

4 Likes

Bring on the Brawndo! :joy:

In all seriousness though I pretty much agree with you. Hype and spectacle have replaced legitimacy, facts, and logic.

That these two (especially McGregor) have managed to convince so many people that McGregor has anything but a “puncher’s chance” in this bout is both a testimate to their trash talking skills, and an indicator of just how little the average fight fan understands what they are watching (or at least, how short their memory is).

Mayweather, like him or not, is one of the most technically sound defensive, hard to hit, and “boring” fighters in the sport’s history. People thinking that somehow this novice boxer in McGregor is going to be able to just walk in and catch him clean with a KO punch, when the best boxers in the World have pretty much all tried and failed to do so means that people are really “drinking Conor’s Koolaid.”

Pittsburgh shock jock who used to work for WWF said he’d like to see them make a rematch to earn another $80M. Since this fight is WWF level believable why not. He said if he was planning it it’d go down like this:

Conor throws a cross and Floyd goes to slip it and catches an elbow to the forehead. When the ref checks him out have the ref blade Floyd above the eye. He calls the fight, it goes “no contest”.

Floyd claims Conor threw the elbow on purpose. Conor calls Floyd a wimp. Bam rematch in a year with another $80M payday. Only thing better than money is mo’ money.

1 Like

Why would Conor get “seriously injured”?
His sport is far more dangerous than boxing, where it is pure repetition that gave demetia pugilistica its name.
I’ve seen plenty KOs in amateur boxing, but a far larger amount of MMA fights ended not only in KOs but in nasty brain or bone damage.

Furthermore,
Conor could beat many top 100 boxers in his weightclass.
He boxes longer than many of those top 100 boxers, all of which have a more or less siginificant puncher’s chance against Floyd.

The Irish happens to have a particular skillset that is very interesting and made him crush elite opposition.
At the end of the fighting day, people want to see fights.
Floyd wants no part of GGG, the most interesting bout I can think of.

Conor has a small chance but again, he brings a very interesting set of skills- ridiculous clinching, fantastic reach and a nasty, very unusual straight left with great setups. Which current boxer coudld wield those tools against Mayweather?

This is the elitist attitude I was talking about.
You’d rather see a bancrupt Floyd, sitting on his ass?

For the same reason that if you put Mayweather in the defensive line in an NFL game he’d get his ass flattened. It has zero to do with the comparative risks between the sports. Maybe Mayweather should try free climbing the Thimble his first time out? Or better yet, the Indy 500 for his first race?

The Irish has a particular skill set? That is exactly the point. That skill set isn’t boxing. How many pro boxing matches has Conor won? No hype. Just the stats. Anything? Nothing?

What’s next? Arguing that Mayweather should give a fight to Rousey? We know that would be quite the fight . . . Anyone’s guess . . . lol

If realism equals elitism in your particular world then I guess I’m an elitist.

When I boxed, there was not ONE thing I learnt in the gym that MMA gyms did not know or practise.

If anything, MMA striking, even without kicking, kneeing, ellbowing and grappling is more complex. You need to unlearn liberal shelling with your gloves and get good grips quickly when a clinch occurs.
Also, the distances are different and there’s less time to get a comfortable rhythm (which is Mayweather’s biggest advantage actually).

NOTHING Mayeather does is new to McGregor.
NFL sportsball might be 100% new to both of them. But they both know 100% of boxing. Conor simply knows more about fighting in general.

Is there some secret drill or boxing-exclusive punch that Conor doesn’t know about?
Tell us, sensei!

The question is if Floyd’s specialization will give him such an edge that he can whip the Irish around easily.

Well, Maligniaggi thought so, (“one handed!”) and now he looks like a complete moron.

If your elite eyes don’t see that Conor, while clearly not a favorite, can create at least some interesting problems because of his left and his physique then you might get very surprised in a few hours.

lol - You sound like Conor. Now it’s “interesting problems” but not a win. What exactly are you arguing about? That he won’t completely embarrass himself??? Well, damn, now THAT is worth paying to watch!

Let’s see what actually happens when all the hot air stops. Although I’m sure Conor will continue to run his mouth. Unless he’s dead. Which is more likely than an upset here.

I won’t be watching the train wreck. I’ll read about it the morning. After I read the real news.

The attitude isn’t exactly elitist. They are 2 different sports. It would be like saying Federer would beat Brady at tennis. That isn’t elitist or a diss on Brady.

2 Likes

Most of Floyd’s fights were boring and yes, this fight will be less boring. Conor will be the moral victor if he simply looks good inside the ring.
Most opponents of Mayweather did not, since he picks his fights carefully.

You guys make me laugh, making it sound like it is really two totally separate sports like Golf and Swimming.

An upset is less likely than Conor dying?!

I guess I’ll be dying with laughter when it will be one long victorious retreat from Mayweather.

Yeah, “he was toying with him”

I can’t believe anyone would pick Conor in 12. That’s truly baffling.

If Conor has any chance of winning, it’s in the first 3 rounds. IMHO it’s absolutely impossible for him to make it past 8 rounds. If he makes it to 8, Floyd will be hunting him & he won’t be able to properly defend himself. Floyd doesn’t get tired & he’s gone 12 in prize fights dozens of times.

Conor better go for broke early on, because he has a 0% chance making it to round 12. If he makes it to round 6, he’s going to be breathing hard through his mouth and defense/reflexes will be greatly diminished.

Floyd’s speed is going to make Conor’s HR jump like he’s never experienced before - there’s absolutely no chance he’s going to be able to adapt to that in this fight & somehow be able to protect himself properly past round 6. It’s going to be a rough night for Conor fans.

When I see someone predict Conor in 12, I think of Roger saying “Most people don’t know shit about boxing”

If Conor goes 12, i’ll officially apologize to T-Nation.

Thanks