Mayweather vs McGregor

Eddie Alvarez is one of the top 5 wrestlers in the UFCs lightweight division…depending on the day

Yes, McGregor is a black belt in crap talking. I think he’s even better than Mayweather in that area. And of course he’d beat Mayweather in an MMA fight. But in a boxing ring McGregor is going to get hurt.

I’m sure Muhammad Ali knew that as well.

Valid point!

Also, they may expect Mayweather to do the holding. In fact, they probably expect Mayweather to be doing the holding. Connor will hit Floyd, when Mayweather grabs him. It makes more sense that they are preparing to Counter the technique.

Way Conner can win with big gloves on:

Wait for mayweather to try a hug, put him in a Muay Thai clinch. Knees to the jaw ftw. Mayweather won’t know how to counter.

2 Likes

Flawless strategy; except for one little detail…it’s a boxing match so knees are illegal and will result in immediate disqualification and loss.

I have trouble understanding anyone who still cares about boxing or, especially, this publicity stunt. Mayweather’s success is a great example of what is wrong with boxing. Baseball is more exciting and has more real fights.

1 Like

Who cares? It’s a meaningless exhibition. Break the rules and KO that jerk.

It was a dumb humor post really.

1 Like

Excellent Visual Aid!

Speaking of Fouls
Remember when Victor Ortiz head-butted Mayweather?

I know you were likely not completely serious, neither was I, hence my snarky tone. Probably should have added a :wink: so you could tell for sure.

I agree the match is meaningless from an actual legitimate boxing title contention standpoint, but my understanding is that Conor stands to make anywhere between 75-127 Million off the fight; that’s about the polar opposite of “meaningless” especially to someone who seems to be motivated primarily by making money. If he were to knee, elbow, or kick Mayweathet during the fight he would stand to lose most of (if not all of) that money. He’s not gonna make that mistake.

1 Like

Fair enough.

What’s the dirtiest stuff you can get away with, on the inside?

Upper cut his nose with the heel of your palm? Low blow when the ref is on the other side?

The hardest part for Mayweather will be carrying McGregor long enough that people feel they got their money’s worth.

But Floyd may actually KO him by accident - hit him too sharply and hurt him worse than he wants to. Don’t laugh. It’s possible. Especially when you pit the greatest boxer in the last 20 years against a mediocre amateur.

2 Likes

Does this just prove boxing is on the way out or no? I mean, what’s next? Is Oscar De La Hoya gonna come out of retirement and fight the Big Show?

Nah. People have said that for decades, but boxing is doing fine - as evidenced by the ACTUAL fight between GGG and Canelo that will happen a few weeks later.

Mayweather is all about money, and this will make him more. It’s a spectacle, sure, but nothing I would read into much.

1 Like

If the Mayweather/McGregor sideshow sells like they are saying the gate will be down for a real boxing even three weeks later.

Totally possible. But I don’t think it’s going to attract the same fans.

People waiting for Canelo-GGG are not going to waste their money on the Mayweather circus act a few weeks before. And the more casual “fan” who will buy May-McGregor probably isn’t all that aware of Canelo or GGG, and certainly doesn’t know why their fight is important.

I could be wrong.

2 Likes

I hope you’re right.

I think you are right, but, still what does that say about the future of boxing? And btw, the same can be said about the future of MMA. Both sports are rapidly moving towards a focus on spectacle, sensationalism, and hype and away from the legitimate “best fighter vs best fighter” model that gained them athletic analyst legitimacy.

Money and profit and the corruption that comes with it has been a big “problem” (could be looked at both ways I suppose) in boxing for quite some time now. But with competition from MMA and even Muay Thai/Kickboxing they seem to be going even more to the extreme in an attempt to try to draw the “average fan” to buy their cards. MMA (especially the UFC after its recent purchase) is doing the same and this joint venture between the two sports is a perfect example of this reality.

We serious Combat Sports fans have long bemoaned this trend, but, I fear it’s hear for a while (if not to stay) and will only continue to intensify as time goes on if those in power continue to see profit as a result.