Maybe Drinking Raw Eggs Isn't So Bad

great information and vindication - I’ve consumed raw eggs for years - both backyard kept and store-bought - i just dump 3-6 in a shake pretty frequently - you don’t even know they are in there…

the ‘evidence’ seemed to suggest bioavailability was an issue but this seems to suggest otherwise.

Mr. Puck, Wolfgang, I had NO idea you were a T Nation member! :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think it would matter. What’s your motivation for doing that? Do they taste that much better? Thanks for the video!

True that.

Already had a third and fourth nipple so I cant blame the raw eggs for that.

2 Likes

Think I might try microwaving them for a minute or two to cut down the risk even further before trying this. The convenience is hard to beat.

Raw eggs. 40 years and counting without any issue.

Maybe we should all try raw liver now.

2 Likes

yep. if you buy eggs from a local farmer, always ask if they have washed. if not washed, you can store on shelf, as most countries do. once washed, refrigerate. (washing does not remove salmonella, but I am glad to hear salmonella risk is low!)

Heheh…this 66-year-old, who’s been bodybuilding non-AAS for over fifty years beginning in 1971, consumed TEN large whole raw eggs eeeeeevery day from 1976 through 1982. I breakfasted on five then took the other five to work in a thermos container for a mid-afternoon protein feed.

I had studied the (now-refuted) high cholesterol claims being taught then concerning whole eggs and discovered that dietary cholesterol had little to zero effect on serum cholesterol, so dismissed those claims as faulty and ate eggs.

I put them in a blender, sometimes drinking the blended slurry as-is, but, depending on my calorie limits for a particular period, often blendered ice cream, bananas, berries, and/or (and most-often) cottage cheese with them.

Never developed a biotin deficiency that I’m aware.

Never got salmonella from all those years of raw eggs.

Occasionally, when away without access to a blender, I did gulp down straight raw eggs which I’d cracked into a cup.

For the past ten years, with more time now than I had in my younger years to prepare meals, I’ve eaten five or six soft-to-medium boiled eggs per day for breakfast.

1 Like

I had no idea so many people were doing this!

Excellent. Thanks!

You’re a better man than me, Gunga Din.

Naw… it’s prob’ly 'cuz what my mom and my wife have long insisted, that I have no sense of taste, which has always enabled me to eat and actually enjoy nearly any and every damned thing, lol. Has served me well through the decades for controlling calories for bodyfat loss - - I’m never plagued by the usual food-boredom and flavor-deprivation most guys suffer cutting bodyfat.

(BTW…if it was possible to do, I’d switched this username, one I’d set over a decade ago and hardly used since, to the name I’ve commented under to other of your articles, “Joe Santus”.)

Palate of a goat, huh? A blessing, I suppose. Joe Santus? Arnold’s character from “Stay Hungry,” right?

Schwarzenegger’s character, from the movie based on Gaines’ novel of the same name, was “Joe Santos”. I’ve always wished they’d made a serious version of the novel instead of that comedic adaptation; but even as it stands, it is cool to see those 1970s-era big name competitors on screen isn’t it?

“Goat Palate”, to the point my 90-year-old mom has advised for decades, “Don’t bother asking his opinion if something tastes good, because, everything tastes good to him!” My wife says I’ve been useful for our 42 years married during my higher-calorie-intake periods as her Designated Garbage Disposal. Ironically, I’d already downed raw eggs BEFORE the first “Rocky” premiered; I suspect I was one of the rare few (alriiiight, yes, admittedly, WEIRD few) in the audience who chuckled instead of gagged at that scene.

My “Santus” is my shortened of “Santucci”, but, yes, “Joe Santos” was what gave me the idea.

Keep up your good work, TC. Your’re one of the few I’ve read through my fifty years in the iron game who (despite the understood need of marketing in order to have a presence at all) seems to strive to place objectivity and actual data before wishful thinkings, naivety, anecdotes, and anomalous results. I learned long ago to gauge a writer by how qualifiers are applied - - “it seems to be”, “to the limitations of our present knowledge”, and “my opinion is…” evidence someone who recognizes we still have more questions about what works and why than we have definitive answers. In my opinion, that approach seems to be, the most informative and productive for everyone in the long term.

1 Like

Thanks man. I try, but I probably don’t do it enough. I’ll admit, it’s sometimes hard to practice objectivity when doing the opposite seems to have worked out so infuriatingly well for so many people, in this field and definitely others.

“Infuriatingly”…yep. Understood.

It’s tough to make a living in the iron-game industry when most trainees, especially beginners, naively but understandably, hold unrealistic expectations and are impatient for results. Telling them what they hope to hear rather than providing objective information has consistently, directly and indirectly, sold more courses, supplements, gadgets, and subscriptions since Sandow’s era.

Met an owner of three gyms about a decade ago (recall, I’m 66 now, so he and I were both in our life-experienced mid-50s then). In our casual conversing, I mentioned the simplicity of hypertrophy – consistently, progessively train primarily on basic compounds, get adequate rest, get adequate calories and protein from actual food, and stay at it for at least three consecutive years. He chuckled, knowingly, “Yeah…but if we tell people that truth, then most of us personal trainers and gym owners will be out of business”.

It was easier for me to earn a living by installing residential roofing, lol

According to mum, her uncles and cousins would take eggs and gulp them down on the way back from the chicken coop.

This is rural China back in the 70s and people over there back then certainly weren’t trying to maximise physique or strength

Seems like this practice is fairly universal