T Nation

May Start Taking Creatine

i have read a bit more about creatine and have decided to start taking it once i start to work out again. would it be ok to take it with whey? post workout i will take a whey shake and maybe some of those creatine power tabs.

for those of you that take creatine regularly which would you suggest? i used to take nitrex’s CGL(creatine glycologen loader) and i saw good results fast from it. the reason i stopped taking it was because i read somewhere that all it does is load your muscle with water and once you stop taking it, your muscle shrinks.

Be careful, you don’t want to take so much that your muscles fill with water and explode. Likewise, you don’t want to be on for so long that when you quit taking it you shrivel away to nothing.

I heard it makes your balls shrink.

There are hundreds of articles about creatine, and many good ones on this site. There is also a high quality product sold here. Try a search and educating yourself.

Post workout is a great time to take your creatine. Add some simple sugars to replenish glycogen and help shuttle it into your muscle cells.

And like Tedro said: Educate yourself! Sure creatine may pull some water into the muscle with it, so does salt. OH NO SALT!.. Run away! RUN AWAY!!!

Talon, there’s nothing wrong with creatine. Yes, it loads your muscle with water – that’s what it’s supposed to do. Also, when you take creatine, drink a lot of water. Creatine is useless without it. As where to get it, buy from the T-Nation Store.

i wouldent take creatine, especially if your going to be drug tested.

[quote]All2ez wrote:
i wouldent take creatine, especially if your going to be drug tested.

…[/quote]

Given your “dots of contemplation,” I’m assuming you’re being facetious. If not, why do you say that? I’m under the impression that creatine is a legal substance for athletes to use.

I would take 5g pre workout with a high glycemic index carb source and 15g whey protein. Also take at least 5g post workout with 50g whey protein, 30g maltodextrin and 30g dextrose.

[quote]Padilla7921 wrote:
All2ez wrote:
i wouldent take creatine, especially if your going to be drug tested.

Given your “dots of contemplation,” I’m assuming you’re being facetious. If not, why do you say that? I’m under the impression that creatine is a legal substance for athletes to use.[/quote]

he’s just messing around.

this has to be one of the most covered topics in the history of supplementation…do a search, talon.

[quote]cpe21 wrote:
he’s just messing around.

this has to be one of the most covered topics in the history of supplementation…do a search, talon.[/quote]

Ah, okay, that’s what I figured, but I can never be too sure. The only reason I asked is because I’m not sure as to an organization’s (like, say, the NCAA) rules regarding supplementation

[quote]Padilla7921 wrote:
cpe21 wrote:
he’s just messing around.

this has to be one of the most covered topics in the history of supplementation…do a search, talon.

Ah, okay, that’s what I figured, but I can never be too sure. The only reason I asked is because I’m not sure as to an organization’s (like, say, the NCAA) rules regarding supplementation[/quote]

Creatine is found in meat, so I imagine it would be tough for a sporting organization to ban it.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Creatine is found in meat, so I imagine it would be tough for a sporting organization to ban it.[/quote]

Well, it’s also found in our brains. I just wasn’t sure about specific rules. For instance, according to the BETA-7 article (I think it was), beta alanine can’t be given to athletes from their coaches or trainers, but they are allowed to use it on their own.

sorry for the sad attempt at some light humour, i just thought creatine, like the other poster said, is one of the most widely covered subjects.

use the search function, the T-Nation creatine article is excellent at explaining just about everything you need to know

ok i read some. so no side effect, don’t load, use a monohydrate. which are you guys using and what doses?

Do load.

Use whatever reputable brand is cheapest.

5g 4x a day for the first 5 days.

5g a day afterwards.

Can you please link the creatine article? I’m having some trouble finding it.

Sarps

[quote]All2ez wrote:
sorry for the sad attempt at some light humour, i just thought creatine, like the other poster said, is one of the most widely covered subjects.[/quote]

Ah no, it’s a my bad on this one. I actually did get the joke, but second guessed it. No worries.

And to the OP, as far as brands go, buy from the T-Nation store. Hint: don’t buy Vitamin Shoppe’s brand, I saw very little results.