Max's Maxes: Squats and Bench Every Day

Smart game plan kinda worked.

Weighed in at 91.85kg

Second flight, kicked off at 10:45ish

Squat

Warmups were pretty
212.5kg - easy, fast opener. Sank it.
222.5kg - came forwards out of the hole, felt all my weight on my toes. Calmly shifted it backwards and it shot up from there but to everyone watching it looked like a grind.
Backed myself and went to the planned third.
230kg - nailed bar path and it moved great.

Not my best squat, but what I came for, with a little in the tank, and I’m happy that I can back myself on my favourite lift and pull it off under pressure.

Bench

Again, good warmups.
120kg - good, as I wanted it to go. Better than BUCS.
125kg - planned 2nd, moved ok, little wonky but fast.
127.5kg fail - no excuse for this not to have gone up after my 2nd. Frustrating. My handler wanted me to go to this for my 2nd and it may have gone up then but 5kg max jumps were the plan and it was better to take the 5kg competiton PR and bump my total a little.

Subtotal was 2.5kg below the goal at this point. That meant changing the plan for deads. If I’d been on track I’d be finishing with 255, if I’d managed to get an extra 2.5kg out of my bench or squat on top of my goals I’d have gone for 252.5 on my second and had the option to go for a PR 3rd (anything north of 255). I now had to hit 257.5kg to meet my goal total.

So,

Deadlift

225kg final warmup like butter
240kg - good speed, textbook pull
250kg - little back rounding, felt heavy off the floor but never slowed and once it was halfway up my shins I knew it was getting locked out.

The “big one”.

257.5kg x NOOOOOOPE - got to about the same height as 265 did at BUCS. Again it should’ve gone up.

Everything is a competition PR for the 93kg class, a good positive to take a away from today.

Vids and mild musings in the post

So finished with 605kg at 91.85kg for a 382 Wilks. Same Wilks as BUCS so I haven’t gone backwards, great competition experience, and a really good time. But obviously not what I wanted.

Always looking to the future: I’m gonna have to be 105kg again if we’ve qualified for world’s (still l waiting on that announcement).
I think 105 is actually the best option for me:

• I’m 6’1" on a good day, and 93 is slim at that height.
  • I need more upper body muscle to build my bench and get my back strength up for deads.
  • Two meets with weight cuts in a row I’ve missed benches I’ve hit for sub-max reps in training.
  • I was middle of the pack at BUCS as a 105 even as the lightest in the class. I was only slightly better above average compared to the 93s and I was a kilo heavier than them.
  • People stronger than me keep telling me I should be 105.
  • Noone cares about Wilks.

Literally the only things keeping me close to 93 are aesthetics and Wilks (see above). If I bulk slowly I won’t lose all that much in the aesthetics department and may even get my upper body looking a bit thicker. Not like I have a 6 pack I have to worry about protecting.

So I’m getting on Sheiko, eating clean, slightly above maintenance and will likely finish this 3 month peak walking around at 98ish with a bigger upper body and the ability to hit lifts I’ve hit in training in competition.

Also no pre-comp cut will be a) less stress and b) better for my performance on the day.

Smart game plan.

6 Likes