T Nation

Maxing Out (PR) Tips?

I’m preparing to max out this tuesday on my bench press and thursday for deadlifts, any particular nutritional or psychological tips whatsoever?

I really want to nail this 315 deadlift and 170 bench press , my old pr was 295 for deadlift and 155 for bench press set about 2 months ago.

When I go for PRs I just make sure to take a couple of huge breaths before the lift and tr to clear my mind.

Whenever I have gone for PR’s, it’s ALWAYS been a spur of the moment deal.

Some days after a few sets, I’ll just feel better than normal, and I’ll absolutely go for the PR.

It’s a decision that is made in 5 seconds.

I wouldn’t be spending a week preparing to 1RM a weight that you will soon be repping for 10.

Your focus should always be on having the absolute best workout every single day. I’d look more into the nutritional and psychological aspects of ensuring THAT goal is accomplished.

PR’s will always be there for the taking.
Good luck!

This may be of some assistance:
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_alpha/tips_for_max_lifts

Thanks for the link theuofh

Warm up adequately. EX…

Do some squats to warm up your whole body
45x8
135x5

Then…

Bench
45x8
135x2
170x1

Deadlift
135x2
215x1
315x1

Don’t go balls to the wall 2 days before your PR day.

Also, no reason why you can’t test your bench and dead PR on the same day.

I just set a 375 dead PR today as well as a few other lifts. Hope this helps, Good Luck!!

On a psychological level, calming myself before a lift never helps. There’s no reason to lower your heart rate when you need to do something physically demanding. So get pumped!

I’ve never found getting pumped helped me. I guess it depends on if you are externally or internally motivated.

I find I do much better when I just clear my heard and “think” of only the lift.

worse thing is if my spotter starts shouting at me. I’m like; your voice isn’t an assist to the lift! stop making unnecessary noises! lol

but then, I tend to lift alone anyways.

Yeah, I mean, I’m not a fan of screaming or making noises in any way. I’m just talking about elevating my heart rate and trying to make the most out of the sympathetic nervous system. I’m most definitely focusing on the lift though.

[quote]elano wrote:
Warm up adequately. EX…

45x8
135x5

Then…

Bench
45x8
135x2
170x1

Deadlift
135x2
215x1
315x1

I just set a 375 dead PR today as well as a few other lifts. Hope this helps, Good Luck!![/quote]

Those are huge increases in weight. I know if I tried that I would break myself. I would definitely warm up longer.

When I am going to go for a PR on a given day, the one thing that will fuck me over is negative thought. Visualize yourself pulling that weight up all day. Try not to over think the lifts either. Just get ready to rape everything brutally.

Tomorrow’s the day right?

[quote]Wilmernuts wrote:
elano wrote:
Warm up adequately. EX…

45x8
135x5

Then…

Bench
45x8
135x2
170x1

Deadlift
135x2
215x1
315x1

I just set a 375 dead PR today as well as a few other lifts. Hope this helps, Good Luck!!

Those are huge increases in weight. I know if I tried that I would break myself. I would definitely warm up longer.[/quote]

I usually warm up with

50% of max for 8
70% for 5
100% for 1
attempt new target max
attempt to overshoot target max

I’m usually strongest on the fifth set.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/warm_up_to_prs.htm

Good link Vorn, thanks.

I listen to older Slipknot or Mudvayne. I like lifting when I’m pissed. I can’t deadlift but I pretty much have the same pattern when I max on bench.

10 pushups with feet on bench.
135x6
185x5
225x3
245x2
265x1
275x1
290x1 (missed)
290x1 got it after 3 minutes of rest

Once I hit 225 I rest about 2 minutes per set. If you don’t hit your max on your 1st shot but moved the weight a decent distance from your chest, rest a 2-4 minutes and try again.

I actually read a study where they had to groups of football players. The first group were shown hard hit in football games to pump them up. The other group had to meditate to soothing music. The group that listened to soothing music out-performed the group that watched the videos of hard hitting. Maybe being calm and focused will help more, instead of getting all crazy.

Only lifted 306 for deadlift pr… =(
Triceps were somehow sore so I skipped benching. 11pound pr in TWO MONTHS, IM SO PISSED

What’s your routine and diet look like?

I don’t know if you’ve read this or not but this is a good article about how to warm up for your max.

Hope this helps.

You should be giving yourself atleast 4 days rest before you max out. And eat a shit load of food.