T Nation

Maximum Strength 18 Year Old

I am 18 years old and have been working out religiously for 14 months now. I love to lift. Its all i think about (like everyone else here im sure) I want to have a good body, but being strong is more important.

Right now I am 6’2" 205 lbs. I want to increase my bench, squat, power clean and deadlift as of right now. What I need to know are what type of excersises can you suggest to help get these up? What other powerlifting excercises do you recommend? Here are my best weights as of now:

Bench 260
Squat 315
Deadlift 335
Power Clean 205

I know my squat is low, but I am working legs hard. I just started deadlifting recently and its my favorite excercise. When I do these, should I go high weight, low rep? I just want some advice from people who have gotten good results. I’ve made my own program and thats all I can base my progress off of… thanks

All the rep ranges have there palce from low to mid to high. dont ignore any of them totally sure if you aim to get STRONG you need to lift heavy but reps will also make you strong and aid more in hypertrophy total volume.

Post your routine would be a better idea is it working??

Phill

[quote]golferguy12 wrote:
I am 18 years old and have been working out religiously for 14 months now. I love to lift. Its all i think about (like everyone else here im sure) I want to have a good body, but being strong is more important.

Right now I am 6’2" 205 lbs. I want to increase my bench, squat, power clean and deadlift as of right now. What I need to know are what type of excersises can you suggest to help get these up? What other powerlifting excercises do you recommend? Here are my best weights as of now:

Bench 260
Squat 315
Deadlift 335
Power Clean 205

I know my squat is low, but I am working legs hard. I just started deadlifting recently and its my favorite excercise. When I do these, should I go high weight, low rep? I just want some advice from people who have gotten good results. I’ve made my own program and thats all I can base my progress off of… thanks[/quote]

Here is my routine for one week

Monday - Chest

Flat Bench (10, 8, 6, 4, 4, 2)
Incline Bench (8, 6, 6, 4)
Decline Bench (8, 6, 6, 4)
Dumbell Flies (8, 8, 8, 8)
Dips (4 sets of 15-20)

Tuesday - Arms

Overhead EZ Bar Extensions (8, 8, 8, 8)
One Arm Pushdowns (8, 8, 6, 6)
Close Grip Bench (10, 10, 8, 8)
Overhead Press (10, 10, 10, 10)
One Armed Bench Curls (8, 8, 6, 6)
Wide Grip Straight Bar Curls (8, 8, 8, 8)
Superset w/ Hammer Curls (8, 8, 8, 8)

Wednesday - Legs

Squat (15, 8, 6, 6, 4, 4, 2, 15)
Behind the Leg Hack Squat (8, 8, 6, 4)
Hamstring Curls (8, 8, 6, 6)
Leg Extensions (8, 8, 6, 6)
Calf Raises (5 sets of 15)

Thursday - Shoulders

Dumbbell Shoulder Press (10, 8, 8, 6, 6)
Lateral Raise (8, 8, 8, 8)
Hitlers (8, 8, 8, 8)
Upright Rows (8, 8, 6, 6)
Jerk (6, 6, 6, 4, 4)

Friday - Back

Deadlift (6, 6, 4, 4, 2)
Power Clean (6, 6, 4, 4, 2)
Lat Pulldowns (8, 8, 6, 6)
Chainsaws (8, 6, 6, 4)
Shrugs (15, 10, 10, 10)
Bent Over Rows (8, 8, 6, 6)

Saturday - Arms or Legs (Depending on what I feel like…)

Arms

Raised Elbow Curls (8, 8, 6, 6)
Concentration Curls (8, 8, 8, 8)
Arnold Curls (8, 8, 6, 6)
Incline Bench Cable Curls (8, 8, 6, 6)
Tricep Kickbacks (8, 8, 8, 8)
Tricep Extensions (8, 8, 6, 6)
Skull Crushers (8, 8, 8, 8)

Legs (Repeat Wednesday except Do lunges instead of hack squats)

Hope this helps!

Arms

[/quote]

The pursuit of maximal strength and the presence of an “arms day” (with 7!LOL! movements) is altogether HERESEY and should only be mentioned in the context of ‘what NOT to do if training for maximal strength…’

I have an idea, stop your Flex-inspired training regime and use the nifty search button. Any classic 5x5, TBT, Kubrik’s Dino training, or westside-ish template would be more than sufficient for the next decade or 4.
-k

edit: surprised i missed this

[quote] Hitlers (8, 8, 8, 8)
[/quote]
wow. in case we didnt see how old you were in the title of this thread…what a new, tasteful name for what i am assuming are 1 armed, pronated db front raises. instant classic, well done.

Thursday - Shoulders

Dumbbell Shoulder Press (10, 8, 8, 6, 6)
Lateral Raise (8, 8, 8, 8)
Hitlers (8, 8, 8, 8)
Upright Rows (8, 8, 6, 6)
Jerk (6, 6, 6, 4, 4)
[/quote]

Um… What are Hitlers?

[quote]lookingswell wrote:
Um… What are Hitlers?[/quote]

LOL!

This is my guess:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidAnterior/DBFrontRaise.html

[quote]kane101nod wrote:
golferguy12 wrote:

Arms

The pursuit of maximal strength and the presence of an “arms day” (with 7!LOL! movements) is altogether HERESEY and should only be mentioned in the context of ‘what NOT to do if training for maximal strength…’

I have an idea, stop your Flex-inspired training regime and use the nifty search button. Any classic 5x5, TBT, Kubrik’s Dino training, or westside-ish template would be more than sufficient for the next decade or 4.
-k

edit: surprised i missed this
Hitlers (8, 8, 8, 8)

wow. in case we didnt see how old you were in the title of this thread…what a new, tasteful name for what i am assuming are 1 armed, pronated db front raises. instant classic, well done.[/quote]

Umm, actually he has 2 arm days in there. One on Tuesday and another on Saturday if he feels like it. I agree. If you are looking to build strength in your PL/OL movements, time can be spent better than isolating bi’s and tri’s.

When I’m trying to improve something, it is the first thing I do each week. You can learn a lot about someone’s goals by looking at their first one or two workouts…

Dude, cut back the arm days, cut back the bench variations. Basics, basics, basics

Bench 260
Squat 315
Deadlift 335
Power Clean 205

I know my squat is low, but I am working legs hard. I just started deadlifting recently and its my favorite excercise. When I do these, should I go high weight, low rep? I just want some advice from people who have gotten good results. I’ve made my own program and thats all I can base my progress off of… thanks[/quote]

Read everything Dave Tate has written. Go to the Westside site and read everything on there. Read Pavel’s work, its phenomenal.

My point is this…model the best. The stuff that the best in the world have used to get strong is on the internet…mostly for free. READ it, use it, get what you want ie Strength

Hi i am also 18 years old and i have been working out to for about a year and i have been seeing some gains here and there i love bench press it is my favorite excercise and i am looking to buling strength i would like to be cut but im not lets say avery skinny person i am 5’11 245 and i would like to get down to like 215. Here are my workouts and what my max’s are.

Bench 255
Squat 375
Power Clean 205
Deadlift 335

Chest/Biceps
Bench Press-8-6-4-4-2
Dumbell Flys-8-8-8-8-8
Dips-5 sets to fail
Seated Curls-8-8-8-8-8
Concentration Curls-8-8-8-8-8
Barbell Curls8-8-8-8-8-

Tricep
Skull Crusher 8-8-8-8-8
Dumbell Exstensions-8-8-8-8-8
Tricep Kickbacks-8-8-8-8-8

Back/Legs
Deadlift-8-6-4-4-2
Power Clean-8-6-4-4-2
Bent Over Row-8-8-8-8-8
Squat-20-20-10-10-5-5

Let me know what you guys think i should do to help my self get stronger and maybee a better workou in… it seems that im not a very good maxxer im good with pumping out lots of reps is there somthing that i could be doing wrong? thanks for your support

I think you need to stop working out until march 11th and then you will be set and youll get huge…HAHA

Ok, heres my advice.

Look up Bill Starr 5x5

now, the tricky bit…

READ ALL OF IT AND UNDERSTAND IT!!!

There are 3 excersises per session 3 times a week.

Sounds to easy?

Do it right and you wont be able to walk.

Simply the Best intermediate mass/strength program.

Make sure you understand the ramping thing, and how to properly add weights with the percentage system.

Drop all this high volume BS… I promise you this will do it.

Squats and Milk!!