T Nation

Maximum Size Program - Any Ideas?

For a long time i’ve been training with rep scehemes like 5x5 and so, and now i wanna focus on Maximum size! I want a simple program to get me BIG. Need some help :slight_smile:

How much weight have you gained from the beginning of your training? What’s your age/height/current weight/BF%? How strong are you in the big three?

You can start by reading this: http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/the_bodybuilding_bible_free_of_charge

I would recommend my routine which you can find if you look up my posts. The downside is that its not simple at all until you get the hang of it. Then it becomes very simple and is the same thing every time. You will have to order stuff and get a lot of chains and microweights.

Personally, I think the program I do is ahead of its time…

I’ve gained about 10kgs, and now i weigh 90kgs. Im 18 years old, 188cm tall, bodyfat i don’t know but im definitely not fat!

I’ve done 110kg bench, 180kg dead but squat i dont know. I trained with 110x5 last time.

[quote]Flip91 wrote:
I’ve gained about 10kgs, and now i weigh 90kgs. Im 18 years old, 188cm tall, bodyfat i don’t know but im definitely not fat!

I’ve done 110kg bench, 180kg dead but squat i dont know. I trained with 110x5 last time. [/quote]

You need to put on some weight, in order to fill your frame; if you gained 10kgs staying relatively lean, yoour diet is probably well balanced (and age is helping you…young lucky bastard :-); you may just need to increase overall kcal intake. Understand that you won’t get any muscle size increase if your bodyweight stays the same.

Training wise, there are plenty of good splits in the thread I linked in my previous post. Be sure to understand the “ramping set” method (read some threads in the beginner forum, mostly BONEZ and Cephalic_Carnage answers).

i wanna bump 5/3/1 if you’re not advanced to write your own program, it’s simple and there’s a lot of info on here about it if you have questions. that bodybuilding bible thread turned into a clusterfuck IMO.

Didn’t you just start recently? I remember seeing your first post not that long ago…anyways just do a 4-5 day split. It’s not rocket science, get stronger on all of your lifts and the size comes. If your eating enough.

It probably is fabiop, but my english understanding isn’t that good. It gets so complicated that when i read those posts i just dont understand as much as i should :stuck_out_tongue: Thats why im asking to get some advice for a simple yet effective program to get me big. I just need a set-up, the rest i do myself! :slight_smile:

Right, let’s start with a few splits; if you cannot train on Sunday:

Day 1: chest, bis
Day 2: legs, calves
Day 3: off
Day 4: shoulders, tris
Day 5: off
Day 6: back, abs
Day 7: off
Day 8: repeat

OR

Day 1: chest, biceps
Day 2: legs, calves
Day 3: off
Day 4: shoulders, tris
Day 5: off
Day 6: back, abs
Day 7: off
Day 8: repeat

Since you will work each muscle group once a week, for large muscle groups (legs, back and chest), you may need at least 3 exercises; for legs, 4 are probably better. For maller groups (biceps, triceps, shoulders, calves) 2-3 exercises should be enough.

Start every workout with a compound exercise, then move to a secondary exercise (a variation of the first one), and finish with an isolation exercise. For exemple, a chest workout could look like this:

Flat barbell bench press
Incline dumbbell press
Dumbbell or cable flies

If you can train any day of the week, you can try with more frequency:

Day 1: chest, bis, tris
Day 2: legs, calves
Day 3: off
Day 4: shoulders, back
Day 5: off or repeat (according to recovery rate)

OR

Day 1: back, bis
Day 2: chest, tris
Day 3: legs, calves
Day 4: off
Day 5: shoulders
Day 6: off or repeat (according to recovery rate)

With these two splits, you’ll hit each muscle group every 5 day, so you’ll probably need less volume (2-3 for large groups, 1-2 for small ones).

Start work each exercise in the 6-10 reps; after a while, you can adjust something (ex. higher reps in the cable flies, in the exemple above). Here’s an exemple of “ramping sets”, if you want to work with 90kgs on bench press:

bar x 10-12
40 x 8-10
60 x 6-8
75 x 4-6
90 x as many reps as possible, with good form;

you should get at least 6 reps; when you get more than 10 reps, use 95 for your last set. If needed, increase the weight on previous set. Some people need more “ramping sets”, with smaller weight jumps, others use more reps:

bar x 10-12
40 x 8
60 x 8
75 x 8
90 x as many reps as possible

Rest as much as needed between sets (up to 3-4 mins for heavier attempts on big exercises); don’t listen to the “60 sec between sets for hypertrophy” myth !

Here’s a good starting point to start making your own program.

I don’t agree with the poster that advised you to start Wendler 5-3-1 (which I’m currently doing…), because you want a size-oriented program, not a strength one.

[quote]fabiop wrote:

I don’t agree with the poster that advised you to start Wendler 5-3-1 (which I’m currently doing…), because you want a size-oriented program, not a strength one.[/quote]

yeah, because they are such different things. 5-3-1 has a good mix of rep ranges and works great for hypertrophy. Surprise, building muscle makes one stronger and getting stronger helps hypertrophy. You should be progressing in strength with any program you use, and 5-3-1 is a good system of progression.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]fabiop wrote:

I don’t agree with the poster that advised you to start Wendler 5-3-1 (which I’m currently doing…), because you want a size-oriented program, not a strength one.[/quote]

yeah, because they are such different things. 5-3-1 has a good mix of rep ranges and works great for hypertrophy. Surprise, building muscle makes one stronger and getting stronger helps hypertrophy. You should be progressing in strength with any program you use, and 5-3-1 is a good system of progression.[/quote]

I fully agree with you, but if the OP posted in the BB forum, maybe he wants to start a more “traditional BB” routine. I’m currently doing the Triumvirate template, and I found it’s a nice and well rounded program, but not a “pure bodybuilding” one.

EDIT: I don’t mind throwing some curls and rear delts when I feel like :wink:

[quote]fabiop wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]fabiop wrote:

I don’t agree with the poster that advised you to start Wendler 5-3-1 (which I’m currently doing…), because you want a size-oriented program, not a strength one.[/quote]

yeah, because they are such different things. 5-3-1 has a good mix of rep ranges and works great for hypertrophy. Surprise, building muscle makes one stronger and getting stronger helps hypertrophy. You should be progressing in strength with any program you use, and 5-3-1 is a good system of progression.[/quote]

I fully agree with you, but if the OP posted in the BB forum, maybe he wants to start a more “traditional BB” routine. I’m currently doing the Triumvirate template, and I found it’s a nice and well rounded program, but not a “pure bodybuilding” one. [/quote]

5-3-1 is most essentially a progression style. It works very well in a “pure bodybuilding” routine.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]fabiop wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]fabiop wrote:

I don’t agree with the poster that advised you to start Wendler 5-3-1 (which I’m currently doing…), because you want a size-oriented program, not a strength one.[/quote]

yeah, because they are such different things. 5-3-1 has a good mix of rep ranges and works great for hypertrophy. Surprise, building muscle makes one stronger and getting stronger helps hypertrophy. You should be progressing in strength with any program you use, and 5-3-1 is a good system of progression.[/quote]

I fully agree with you, but if the OP posted in the BB forum, maybe he wants to start a more “traditional BB” routine. I’m currently doing the Triumvirate template, and I found it’s a nice and well rounded program, but not a “pure bodybuilding” one. [/quote]

5-3-1 is most essentially a progression style. It works very well in a “pure bodybuilding” routine.[/quote]

Yeah, I know some posters here have used 5-3-1 progression on main lift in a split program. Here’s Cephalic_Carnage set-up (he’s a smart guy, really worth listenting to):

  • Bench day
  • BP 5-3-1
  • Delt: lateral raise or upright row (not a press)
    *Tri assistance
    *Back assistance (horizontal)
  • Squat day
  • Squat 5-3-1
  • Bicep
  • Ham, ab, possibly calf assistance work.
  • Mil Press Day
  • MP 5-3-1
    *Tri (pullover/extension)
    *Chest assistance
    *Back work (vertical)
  • Deadlift day
  • DL 5-3-1
    *Brachialis/forearm
    *Quad and calf

OP, here’s the link to 5-3-1 program; it’s worth reading: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

EDIT: I’m not sure it’s C_C set up…

[quote]fabiop wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]fabiop wrote:

I don’t agree with the poster that advised you to start Wendler 5-3-1 (which I’m currently doing…), because you want a size-oriented program, not a strength one.[/quote]

yeah, because they are such different things. 5-3-1 has a good mix of rep ranges and works great for hypertrophy. Surprise, building muscle makes one stronger and getting stronger helps hypertrophy. You should be progressing in strength with any program you use, and 5-3-1 is a good system of progression.[/quote]

I fully agree with you, but if the OP posted in the BB forum, maybe he wants to start a more “traditional BB” routine. I’m currently doing the Triumvirate template, and I found it’s a nice and well rounded program, but not a “pure bodybuilding” one. [/quote]

he could mix the 5,3,1 up to meet his bodybuilder goals:

example:
chest and arms:
benchpress: 5,3,1.
incline DBpress: 3x10.
flyes/pec-dec: 3x10-15.
dips/close-grip-benchpress: 3x10.
a tricep extension variation: 3x10.
BBcurl: 3x10.
hammercurl: 3x10.

quads and calves:
squat: 5,3,1.
lunges: 3x10.
leg ext: 3x10.
standing calves raises: 3x15.
seated calves raises: 3x15.

shoulders and lats:
militarypress: 5,3,1.
lateral raises: 3x10.
reverse flyes: 3x10.
chins: 3xmax reps.
pulldowns: 3x10.
pullovers: 3x10.

posterior-chain and abs:
deadlift: 5,3,1.
Straight-legged-deadlift: 3x15.
leg curl: 3x10.
abs and lower back work.

wouldt something like this work?

[quote]fabiop wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]fabiop wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]fabiop wrote:

I don’t agree with the poster that advised you to start Wendler 5-3-1 (which I’m currently doing…), because you want a size-oriented program, not a strength one.[/quote]

yeah, because they are such different things. 5-3-1 has a good mix of rep ranges and works great for hypertrophy. Surprise, building muscle makes one stronger and getting stronger helps hypertrophy. You should be progressing in strength with any program you use, and 5-3-1 is a good system of progression.[/quote]

I fully agree with you, but if the OP posted in the BB forum, maybe he wants to start a more “traditional BB” routine. I’m currently doing the Triumvirate template, and I found it’s a nice and well rounded program, but not a “pure bodybuilding” one. [/quote]

5-3-1 is most essentially a progression style. It works very well in a “pure bodybuilding” routine.[/quote]

Yeah, I know some posters here have used 5-3-1 progression on main lift in a split program. Here’s Cephalic_Carnage set-up (he’s a smart guy, really worth listenting to):

  • Bench day
  • BP 5-3-1
  • Delt: lateral raise or upright row (not a press)
    *Tri assistance
    *Back assistance (horizontal)
  • Squat day
  • Squat 5-3-1
  • Bicep
  • Ham, ab, possibly calf assistance work.
  • Mil Press Day
  • MP 5-3-1
    *Tri (pullover/extension)
    *Chest assistance
    *Back work (vertical)
  • Deadlift day
  • DL 5-3-1
    *Brachialis/forearm
    *Quad and calf

OP, here’s the link to 5-3-1 program; it’s worth reading: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

EDIT: I’m not sure it’s C_C set up…[/quote]

It’s not. I think he basically uses it as a weight progression on whatever lift he wants to focus on. He’s even gotten me applying to to curls. There is a thread around here somewhere that he describes his use of 5-3-1.

if you do 5/3/1, do the program as written for a couple cycles to see if you like it before you start tweaking minutae. if you put 100lbs on your squat and deadlift, and put 50lbs on your bench/ohp you’re going to have more size than when you started. during that you’ve got pullups/rows too. the main idea with any lifting- size comes from moving heavy weight, eating a lot and getting enough rest. repeat.

I know 5/3/1 is really popular right now and everything, but do you guys actually have an example of someone who went from skinny to muscular using this program?

Serious question. If so please link.

OP: The most basic and traditional bodybuilding split is very likely this 4-way split - Chest/triceps, Back/biceps, Shoulders, Thighs/calves

It’s simple, complete, and customizable. Lift anywhere from 4 to 7 days a week, adjust your volume accordingly. I’m assuming you know what the basic exercises are and how to make progress (and eat right).

[quote]mr popular wrote:
I know 5/3/1 is really popular right now and everything, but do you guys actually have an example of someone who went from skinny to muscular using this program?

Serious question. If so please link.

OP: The most basic and traditional bodybuilding split is very likely this 4-way split - Chest/triceps, Back/biceps, Shoulders, Thighs/calves

It’s simple, complete, and customizable. Lift anywhere from 4 to 7 days a week, adjust your volume accordingly. I’m assuming you know what the basic exercises are and how to make progress (and eat right). [/quote]

I never said don’t do any split. I was just saying progression is a huge part of any training. It’s also one tat gets left out the most. Notice you didn’t address it at all. You can do any split and use 5-3-1 as your progression methodology on main lifts.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
I know 5/3/1 is really popular right now and everything, but do you guys actually have an example of someone who went from skinny to muscular using this program?

Serious question. If so please link.

OP: The most basic and traditional bodybuilding split is very likely this 4-way split - Chest/triceps, Back/biceps, Shoulders, Thighs/calves

It’s simple, complete, and customizable. Lift anywhere from 4 to 7 days a week, adjust your volume accordingly. I’m assuming you know what the basic exercises are and how to make progress (and eat right). [/quote]

relax, it’s not a lifestyle it a starting point; it helped me structure some progress in those lifts, which helped me move heavier weights which helped me add size. make sense?

[quote]mr popular wrote:
I know 5/3/1 is really popular right now and everything, but do you guys actually have an example of someone who went from skinny to muscular using this program?

Serious question. If so please link.

OP: The most basic and traditional bodybuilding split is very likely this 4-way split - Chest/triceps, Back/biceps, Shoulders, Thighs/calves

It’s simple, complete, and customizable. Lift anywhere from 4 to 7 days a week, adjust your volume accordingly. I’m assuming you know what the basic exercises are and how to make progress (and eat right). [/quote]

Its also relative. If I do triceps on my bench day, bi’s on my deadlift day, various delt exercises on MP day and calve exercises on my squat day, I can basically call it the same split as what you just mentioned above.