My goal is to gain as much muscle as I can over the next few months, and avoid fat gain as much as possible. From September to April, I want to focus on my diet a lot more. I put the hard work into my training, as well as my diet, but sometimes I think I really need to step up my diet to make new gains.
My problem is, I never count calories. I understand counting calories isn't a necessity, but as this point I think I should consider it. I recently purchased a food scale, so maybe that will help out a bit.
I'm currently at around 230-232 @ 6'6". My body fat percentage would be roughly 10-12%. I follow 5/3/1 percentages on my main lifts, and bodybuilding assistance work. I like to stay active through the week, I lift 4 times a week (upper/lower type split) and add in 3 sessions where I focus on running/sprints, or training MMA 2-3 times a week.
This is what a typical day of meals looks like for me at the moment:
Meal 1: Pre-workout (as of right now, unless I switch workouts to evenings)
-2 eggs, 1 cup of whites, 1 cup of spinach, a pinch of low fat cheese, hot sauce, onions
-1/2 cup of oats, cinnamon, 1 Greek yogurt, 1 tsp. of natural PB (all mixed into oats)
Meal 2: Post Workout
- 2 scoops of Whey protein
- 1 banana
- 1 can of tuna, 1 tbsp of light mayo, 1 cup of spinach, mustard, 2 slices of country harvest protein bread or whole grain wraps.
- 1 Greek yogurt
- 15-20 almonds... Kind of go by the handful or avocado
- 1 granola bar
Meal 4: Dinner
- lean protein source (chicken, steak, fish)
- big salad or veggies (asparagus, broccoli, etc.)
- carb source (brown rice, basmati rice, sweet potato or white)
Meal 5: Nighttime snack
- 1 whole container of 1% low fat low sodium cottage cheese (sometimes just half the container)
- 2 heaping tbsp of natural PB
I also get in about 1.5-2 gallons of water daily.
From what you seein my current diet, what should I add or take away if I want to gain muscle with minimal fat gains? Meal 3 needs to change up because tuna is making me sick... Haha I don't eat tuna daily, but definitely 5 times a week.
Any advice would be great guys!