T Nation

Maximum Effectiveness in Two Months

I am preparing for Tough Mudder and would like to lose at least 10 lbs. of fat in the next two months. I feel I am in decent shape at the moment, but would like to be leaner and want to increase my overall strength and conditioning.

I think I have the workouts down pretty well, mixing things up between body part splits, full body workouts, running, sprinting, swimming, and plyometrics.

Diet-wise though, I have some questions. I am 30 yrs. old, 5'11", and currently at 190 lbs. and about 20% body fat. I want to maximize my results over the next couple of months. I figure that a low carb diet is the best approach to shed more of this fat.

The plan is to workout five days a week, sometimes even doubles if time permits. Where should I be calorie-wise to get excellent results but also not under-eat with this exercise?

Thanks!

I think you should track your calories for a week before you make any drastic changes. With all that activity i would advise doing carb cycling instead of just low carb. Carbs are a good fuel source.

At 20% body fat you're probably going to have a lot of success losing weight by simply reducing overall calories. Because your goal is performance based, I wouldn't restrict carbs too heavily or you may have some degradation in your performance. Everyone is different, but I know personally if my carbs drop below 100g / day I feel like a bag of assholes. 2 months should give you a bit of time to experiment, so play around with lowering calories, and maybe dropping your carbs a bit, until you find something that works, and then you can really crank out 6 good weeks of dieting and drop some fat.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/destroying_fat_war_room_strategies_to_maximize_fat_loss

This may be worth reading. As far as diet goes, 10 lbs of fat is a lot in 2 months. IMO I don't think carb cycling would be enough to see that much loss that fast. I'd look into a ketogenic diet during your short term conditioning.

I hear alot of people say they feel like shit when they're carbs get too low, and that is usually for one of two reasons.
1. They haven't given their body time to adjust. You have to give yourself about a week to break into the drastic change.
2. They aren't eating enough fat.

That being said, in my own personal experience, I dropped 26 lbs of fat over 6 months eating something like a 60/30/10 f/p/c diet. I never had issues with low energy levels, and I got stronger throughout it.

Best of luck!

It's always tricky when you try training for performance but eating for appearance. Since two months is a fairly short time (both in terms of "pre-event" and for a fat loss plan), you'd get further faster if you chose one goal and went at it full throttle.

From what I've read, the Tough Mudder's are supposed to be more for fun than competition, so maybe just adopt a full fat loss training and diet plan for the next eight weeks and then go do however you do. Especially if you're saying you're in "decent shape" now, that wouldn't be the worst idea.

Like you're saying, a low carb diet is usually fine for fast results. Something like the Green Faces plan is more simple (not quite easy), a bit more drastic, but should be fine for your goals.
http://www.T-Nation.com/testosterone-magazine-635?s=indexTitle#green-faces-diet

I'm interested in exactly how your week will look. How are you planning all that training without setting yourself up for burnout?

You might want to look at a versatile routine like Thibs' old Renaissance Body Development plan as a well-designed program for the goals you're talking about.
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/renaissance_body_development

Thanks, everyone, for the responses so far!

I have experimented with different calorie ranges before, and I have lost weight with anywhere from 1,800-3,000 calories a day depending on how much and what kind of exercises I was doing. For my purposes here though, what do you think would be a good starting point?

As some of you have mentioned, I have felt tired and worn down when going low carb before, but that usually gets better after the first week.

Chris,
I agree. It would certainly be awesome to have a ripped six pack by that time, but it is not my primary goal right now. My main reason for wanting to lose the fat is to improve my performance and make sure that I can make it through a 2 1/2 hr. run successfully.

As for the workouts, I am shooting for five a week. Sometimes I get them in, sometimes I get three or four. I can occasionally stuff in two in one day, but that will just happen where it can.

Regarding the burnout, I've been able to successfully make it happen over a short period of time like I am doing here. That's part of why I'm seeking the nutrition advice. I want my body to be able to keep up.

I read the Green Face article you posted. Any particular recommendation for a starting place calorie-wise? I understand the concept, but when it comes to things like the eggs, how many should I be eating?

Ok. Few things here. So cutting is different than conditioning for a 2 1/2 hour run. If you want to be able to make it through a long run then you should train to improve performance and not physique. With intelligent performance-based training the physique should take care of itself. I would start by repeating a similar post over in the conditioning forum.

Also, you don't sound dedicated enough to drop the amount of fat you're looking for. The bit about "fitting workouts in" is not going to cut it (no pun). You need consistency in the kitchen and in the weight room. Moving a workout from the morning to the evening, or back a day is one thing, but jumping from 3x/week to 5x/week from once/day to twice/day is not giving your body any chance to adjust, which is much needed if you intend to progress.

It would help if you gave us a breakdown of your weekly training as well as your daily meal plan.

Regarding "fitting workouts in;" I have been pretty consistent with diet and training. I simply meant that, like many others, I work a lot and have a child to raise, so its inevitable that a workout here and there will get missed.

However, I do see your point, particularly regarding the once/day, twice/day routine. Thanks for the input! And by the way, congrats on dropping that 26 lbs.!

I have decided to give the V-Diet a shot. I did something similar once before with good results. I am currently on Day 3. Dropping this excess body fat should significantly improve my performance. And, since its only 28 days, it will leave me about a month to sharpen my conditioning before the event.

Thoughts?

Regarding "fitting workouts in;" I have been pretty consistent with diet and training. I simply meant that, like many others, I work a lot and have a child to raise, so its inevitable that a workout here and there will get missed.

However, I do see your point, particularly regarding the once/day, twice/day routine. Thanks for the input! And by the way, congrats on dropping that 26 lbs.!

I have decided to give the V-Diet a shot. I did something similar once before with good results. I am currently on Day 3. Dropping this excess body fat should significantly improve my performance. And, since its only 28 days, it will leave me about a month to sharpen my conditioning before the event.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?