T Nation

Maximizing Natural Testosterone


#1

-22 y/o male
-lifting for four years
-testosterone is naturally on the low end of normal. I’ve gotten a couple of blood tests over the past couple years, and morning my morning serum testosterone levels are in the high 300s
(last test results: serum testosterone is 393 ng/dL, free testosterone (direct) is 14.1 pg/mL)

-I already have all the basics covered: plenty of sleep, workouts built heavy compound movements, lots of dietary fat from animal sources as well as nuts, broccoli, various greens, etc.
-Don’t drink, don’t smoke/do drugs

-I want to make sure that I’m doing everything I can to maximize my results. I just purchased some ZMA and D-aspartic acid in the hopes that I can stimulate more natural testosterone production. What supplements do you guys recommend for boosting natural testosterone production?


#2

There’s a few life style changes that can help. Stay away from plastics even the BPA free kind. Most plastics contain a myriad of hormone disruptors that leach into food and liquids. This includes soda cans, which are lined with plastic. Instead use pyrex for food and glass or metal for liquids. Unfortunately hormone disruptors are every where and becoming a concern to the medical community. I suggest doing a Google search on pthalates and hormone disruptors. You’ll be surprised at how many products contain them.


#3

Well, one thing that highly correlates with high testosterone is risk taking behavior, so maybe you should go out and have a drink (or some more) from time to time, engange in other risky stuff, like skydiving, motorcycle riding or whatever.

What could also have a negative effect would be watching porn and masturbating often, which can raise Prolactin and decrease Testosterone, as well as motivation.


#4

ZMA really helped me. Dont take it with milk though and take it right before bedtime. Wild dreams and mad wood every morning. I used to stack it with Tribulus and my blood was 923 at 35 years old. I dont do the trib any more but that stack worked for me.


#5

Chris can you advise any kind of safe non stick frying pans?


#6

remember that testosterone is just one of a million things in your body that contributes to wellbeing. Unless you have some kind of dysfunction, it’s not worth worrying about.


#7

Nice, just keep going!


#8

Not sure about ZMA, but if the guys recommend you - try it


#9

Take a nap daily along with getting a full nights sleep.

Get regular exposure to sunlight assuming you live somewhere where that’s possible

Go for a light leisurely walk in the evening (NOT physically strenuous).

The above helps keep your stress levels down which help more than people think


#10

zma and daa should help see how it goes, also get a good quality vit d3 supp. Alpha Male also something to look into


#11

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
zma and daa should help see how it goes, also get a good quality vit d3 supp. Alpha Male also something to look into[/quote]

what is Daa?


#12

[quote]jenz wrote:
Well, one thing that highly correlates with high testosterone is risk taking behavior, so maybe you should go out and have a drink (or some more) from time to time, engange in other risky stuff, like skydiving, motorcycle riding or whatever.

What could also have a negative effect would be watching porn and masturbating often, which can raise Prolactin and decrease Testosterone, as well as motivation.[/quote]

theres been studies that show masturbation actually can increase test levels.


#13

[quote]Eviscerator wrote:
-22 y/o male
-lifting for four years
-testosterone is naturally on the low end of normal. I’ve gotten a couple of blood tests over the past couple years, and morning my morning serum testosterone levels are in the high 300s
(last test results: serum testosterone is 393 ng/dL, free testosterone (direct) is 14.1 pg/mL)

-I already have all the basics covered: plenty of sleep, workouts built heavy compound movements, lots of dietary fat from animal sources as well as nuts, broccoli, various greens, etc.
-Don’t drink, don’t smoke/do drugs

-I want to make sure that I’m doing everything I can to maximize my results. I just purchased some ZMA and D-aspartic acid in the hopes that I can stimulate more natural testosterone production. What supplements do you guys recommend for boosting natural testosterone production?[/quote]

Can you post the reference ranges that were used for your labs?

What other blood work can you post?

E1, E2, E3? Prolactin? SHBG? LH? FSH?

There are lots of good ideas in this thread about healthy habits for trying to “optimize” testosterone levels. It helps if you can paint a more clear picture as to why you are subclinically low for T levels. Being able to post more blood work will help. For instance, it may be able to be determined if you are secondary or primary hypogonadal. Whether you are over-aromatizing, or maybe have excess T bound to SHBG or protein albumin.

Optimizing T levels via ideas mentioned in this thread certainly won’t hurt, but you may not notice any changes anecdotally or via blood work which can be frustrateing. That is when further investigation like I mentioned above is warranted.


#14

I don’t see any reason, based on what he’s said here, to get more bloodwork done. That seems excessive. He didn’t say anything about symptoms, so there’s no reason to believe there’s something actually wrong with this guy. Beyond that, we know nothing about how long he’s been lifting, what he does when he lifts, or what his diet really looks like (he didn’t even include protein intake, while he did fee broccoli was worth mentioning).

So, all that being said, I will address the OP directly. OP, your testosterone is fine. Don’t waste your money on testosterone boosters. They’ll deliver little to no real-world results. The money spent on such supplements would be better spent on food, or a high quality workout drink like Plazma. Plazma is the best supplement money can buy, IMO.


#15

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
I don’t see any reason, based on what he’s said here, to get more bloodwork done. That seems excessive. He didn’t say anything about symptoms, so there’s no reason to believe there’s something actually wrong with this guy. Beyond that, we know nothing about how long he’s been lifting, what he does when he lifts, or what his diet really looks like (he didn’t even include protein intake, while he did fee broccoli was worth mentioning).

So, all that being said, I will address the OP directly. OP, your testosterone is fine. Don’t waste your money on testosterone boosters. They’ll deliver little to no real-world results. The money spent on such supplements would be better spent on food, or a high quality workout drink like Plazma. Plazma is the best supplement money can buy, IMO.[/quote]

His test levels for his age are not fine.


#16

Can smoking pot cause low T? I believe it can. I remmeber reading it has estrogenic effects which makes the body think T is too high so T goes down.


#17

[quote]Davinci.v2 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
I don’t see any reason, based on what he’s said here, to get more bloodwork done. That seems excessive. He didn’t say anything about symptoms, so there’s no reason to believe there’s something actually wrong with this guy. Beyond that, we know nothing about how long he’s been lifting, what he does when he lifts, or what his diet really looks like (he didn’t even include protein intake, while he did fee broccoli was worth mentioning).

So, all that being said, I will address the OP directly. OP, your testosterone is fine. Don’t waste your money on testosterone boosters. They’ll deliver little to no real-world results. The money spent on such supplements would be better spent on food, or a high quality workout drink like Plazma. Plazma is the best supplement money can buy, IMO.[/quote]

His test levels for his age are not fine.[/quote]

they’re within the normal physiological range and he hasn’t mentioned any dysfunction


#18

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Davinci.v2 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
I don’t see any reason, based on what he’s said here, to get more bloodwork done. That seems excessive. He didn’t say anything about symptoms, so there’s no reason to believe there’s something actually wrong with this guy. Beyond that, we know nothing about how long he’s been lifting, what he does when he lifts, or what his diet really looks like (he didn’t even include protein intake, while he did fee broccoli was worth mentioning).

So, all that being said, I will address the OP directly. OP, your testosterone is fine. Don’t waste your money on testosterone boosters. They’ll deliver little to no real-world results. The money spent on such supplements would be better spent on food, or a high quality workout drink like Plazma. Plazma is the best supplement money can buy, IMO.[/quote]

His test levels for his age are not fine.[/quote]

they’re within the normal physiological range and he hasn’t mentioned any dysfunction[/quote]

Normal lab ranges encompass all age groups. The low end of the spectrum is for senior aged adult males, not men in their 20’s. The last time I researched the normal ranges for men in their 20’s, total T was around 650-700; his are half that. His T levels aren’t “fine” simply because they’re within range.


#19

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Davinci.v2 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
I don’t see any reason, based on what he’s said here, to get more bloodwork done. That seems excessive. He didn’t say anything about symptoms, so there’s no reason to believe there’s something actually wrong with this guy. Beyond that, we know nothing about how long he’s been lifting, what he does when he lifts, or what his diet really looks like (he didn’t even include protein intake, while he did fee broccoli was worth mentioning).

So, all that being said, I will address the OP directly. OP, your testosterone is fine. Don’t waste your money on testosterone boosters. They’ll deliver little to no real-world results. The money spent on such supplements would be better spent on food, or a high quality workout drink like Plazma. Plazma is the best supplement money can buy, IMO.[/quote]

His test levels for his age are not fine.[/quote]

they’re within the normal physiological range and he hasn’t mentioned any dysfunction[/quote]

Dysfunction:

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/hub/Eviscerator#myForums/thread/6351204/


#20

His T levels are “fine” but not optimal.

Strictly from a health perspective there’s no need to medically intervene when OP is asymptomatic

From a bodybuilding perspective… His T levels suck.