maximize sleep

Just curious if anyone has any clever tricks to help them sleep soundly. I’m somewhat of an insomniac, and any suggestions would be appreciated.

I love melatonin. Never had much luck with kava and some of the herbals, but melatonin is excellent. Any brand will do.

0.25 mg of Xanex under the tongue one (1) hour before bedtime.

The obvious stuff is to keep your surroundings dark, cool and quiet. ZMA always helps me sleep much, much better. If you’re using Tribex or other testosterone boosters/hormones, then you’ll have some sort of insomnia!

This may surprise you but . . . PRAY! Yup, serious. Let the Big Guy in on any problems you are experiencing; pour your heart out. Ask for forgiveness (biggie). Ask him to help you sleep deeply. Look, even if there is no God, research has abundantly shown the positive effects of faith and prayer on emotional and physical health. There is power in verbalizing frustations (processing them) and even more power in verbalizing affirmative statements about your self and your goals. Before you knock it, try it.

ZMA 30 minutes before you hit the bed

Doxylamine succinate, a glass of wine and ear plugs.

Limit fluid and exercise within 3-4 hours of bedtime.

I’ve read on Mercola’s website (or maybe on the tmag interview…) that you should aim the alarm clock in such a way that don’t see the time. Damn advice worked. I still wake up in the middle of the night but I go right back to sleep and don’t dwell on “oh damn its 2am and I’m so tired blab blab blab” or " oh damn its 6am I gots to wake up in 30 mins blab blab blab" try it it doesn’t cost nothin! also ZMA like others suggested is neat.

Sex.

I know I sleep like a baby after my wife and I have sex. If you don’t have a partner you can always use your second option if you know what I mean.

I find the following things work for me:

1. If i’m stressed out/busy, I write an entry into my journal. Yes, it helps to write down the things that bug you.
  2. I also read for about 20 minutes before lights out.
  3. If that fails, I stay up until 3am playing computer games. Cheers!

I’ll second Nylo’s advice. I was waking up 5 times a night to piss and thus wasn’t getting no REM sleep.It took me a long time to realise this.

I have to second Harkonnen’s advice. I went through a bout of anxiety/insomnia and writing in a journal really helped me. Doesn’t matter what you write, just throw some things down that are bothering you. Also, no tv an hour before bed. Turn down or off the lights throughout the house when you’re winding down for bed. Oh yeah, and never try to force it. Trying to sleep just made it worse.

i had pseudo insomnia this summer, but now if i have a quiet room thats pretty dark and not too hot, i can generally fall asleep. think about positive things, sometimes i listen to some reggae or classic rock while layin in bed

What’s your diet like? I was a horrible, horrible insomniac before I cut back on carbs, especially sugar. Try not eating 1.5- 2 hours before going to bed. I sleep like a baby now.

I’m an insomniac too. I find I’m missing my ZMA. I use melatonin (sublingual version) when sleep is a must. Shower just before bed. Sex also reigns supreme. The final touch for me is a fan, I live about 2 21/2 blocks from active train tracks, helps drown out inconsistent background noise.
Peace, Tmofa

doesnt getting up to take a piss really damage REM sleep?? not much i can do about that, damn…

2mg of melatonin does it for me. If I take more I’m too grogy in the morning. Try 2mg first, and good luck

Well, if it happens pnce or twice it might not, but if you’re waking 5/6 times a night to piss then it will. You need 2/3 hours or so of continuos sleep to get into REM.