T Nation

'Maximal Mass, Minimal Time' Eric Bach Article

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/maximal-mass-minimal-time

Seems interesting article and workout. Will try out definitely.

Could someone explain me what means those 1/3 (sets) and 8/5 (reps) on push press and deadlift?
One set of 8 and then 3 sets of 5?

Thank you very much for your assistance!

[quote]TKH wrote:
Could someone explain me what means those 1/3 (sets) and 8/5 (reps) on push press and deadlift?
One set of 8 and then 3 sets of 5?[/quote]
Because he talked about the use of ramp loading earlier in the article, I’d take it as 1x8 (almost like a warm-up) and then 3x5 using 65%, 75%, and then 85% 1RM. So 4 sets total, the last three being progressively heavier.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]TKH wrote:
One set of 8 and then 3 sets of 5?[/quote]
Because he talked about the use of ramp loading earlier in the article, I’d take it as 1x8 (almost like a warm-up) and then 3x5 using 65%, 75%, and then 85% 1RM. So 4 sets total, the last three being progressively heavier.[/quote]

This is how I understood it!

@Chris_Colucci thanks for the back-up. You’re spot on! @jgreene how did it go?

I would think that most good lifters practice most of that on a regular basis without thinking about it too much.

are you referring to the ascending/ramp loading?

Yeah…it just seems intuitive to build up to a working set in that way. You have to strike a balance between warming up and not burning out before you even get started.

Def. agree. The good lifters do. But, you’d be amazed how many people miss the boat when it comes to progression.

Tried the first workout today and loved it. Great to fit in first thing in the morning before work. In and out, including a shower, in an hour.

Quick questions - how do the times rep sets work. Is it as many reps as possible in that time? Or strict reps for a certain amount of seconds? Doesn’t seem very clear to me.