Max Strength/Relative Strength

I was discussing with a friend of mine about a local guy who at 117lbs. who benched 270lbs. My friend didn’t think it was impressive because 270lbs. isn’t alot of weight to bench. So I’m curious what do most people hold in higher regard? maximum weight or relative strength?

I think it works both ways, if guys are smaller or beginners I typically hold relative strength in higher regard, however when the guys are bigger and have obviously spent time training for size and strength overal strength is more impressive.

For instance this video, the guy is 181lbs. pulling 771, that is 4.26x his bodyweight. Is he stronger/more impressive than big zeke whom at about 375lbs. can pull 950lbs. which is only 2.53x his bodyweight.

He who cares least wins.

/thread

stronger is stronger. period

If there are weight-classes, it matter. When there are not, it does not.

/
||

This isn’t meant to change anyones goals. Of course everyone should focus on getting stronger more than anything. I just thought it’d be a interesting discussion.

[quote]behexen wrote:
This isn’t meant to change anyones goals. Of course everyone should focus on getting stronger more than anything. I just thought it’d be a interesting discussion. [/quote]

If by ‘interesting discussion’ you mean ‘pissing match’, then you can look at some old threads on the topic.

RAPE AXE!!!

Is Hallowed done with her diet yet or what?

Strong is strong at the end of the day.

I was hanging out at a rock climbing wall with my sister a few months back, saw some small guy lower his entire body weight with one arm on a tiny, tiny hand hold in such a way that you knew he could knock out one armed pull-ups.

Would you say he’s strong? I would.

Now take your guy up there deadlifting 4.26 his body weight? Also strong.
And “Zeke” doing 950, strong.

Trying to categorize which is “more impressive” is petty. Just be strong.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Is Hallowed done with her diet yet or what?[/quote]

You think she would spit on me, brah?

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Is Hallowed done with her diet yet or what?[/quote]

You think she would spit on me, brah?[/quote]

Only after she’s done spitting in my mouth.

There’s no doubt the dude is pretty strong for his weight. His 1RM lifts are outstanding and he’s obviously worked hard toward those goals.

Having said that, you couldn’t pay me enough to trade his physique even for my fat ass.

I bet that 117 lb. guy could pack on some serious mass if he went after it.

TOm martin is insane, and he is in the same weightclass as me- i cant imagine doing his lifts. I think less people understand the value of relative strength, but its still important!

TOm martin is insane, and he is in the same weightclass as me- i cant imagine doing his lifts. I think less people understand the value of relative strength, but its still important!

sorry- doublepost!

From a pure strength perspective, the 375 lbs guy is stronger.
Everything else it’s the 181 lbs guy.

The thing to keep in mind is size does not equal strength, it is not linear. At some point most people are going to need to get bigger to support gains in the weight they can move but is does not mean they will gain strength at the same rate as before. Because of this the big strong guys are at a body weight disadvantage. But they are lifting some damn heavy weight - which the lighter people cannot.

Strong is good, but it is always relative. Though there is something pure about picking up really heavy weight.

If the guy who weighs 181lbs got to the weight of 375lbs, then would he be able to lift 950lbs or more?!

I think both is very impressive, but I think alot of people under rate relative strength. Not so much in the weightlifting groups but amongst normal people. Like my friend for instance. I agree though that there is something special about moving real big weight regardless how big you are.