Max Rep Circuit Set Up

Hi coach, I hope all is well with you and your family. I was just looking for some advice, with regards to setting up a max rep circuit for legs.

I was thinking of mixing in some sled work and isolation and compound exercises in a max rep circuit or would I be better to perform the sled work and then afterwards, perform the max rep circuit using only isolation and compound movements?

What do you want to get out of it?

Hypertrophy and fat loss. Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to achieve both to some degree, by combining them both in a max rep circuit?

1. I’m not gonna lie, it’s not likely to happen. At least, not to a significant extent. While it is physiologically possible to add muscle while losing fat, it is very hard to do and make achieving both goals less effective.

There are some exceptions that make it possible to gain a significant amount of muscle while losing a significant amount of fat at the same time, but rarely for longer than a short period of time. These exceptions are:

*If you are using steroids
*If you are a total beginner to lifting
*If you are a teenager with raging testosterone levels
*If you are coming back to training after a long layoff
*If you go from a completely shitty diet with way too much calories but too little protein and switch to a solid diet with more protein and less calories.

1. Furthermore, it is my opinion that using lifting to lose fat is a mistake. I’m not saying that there won’t be a positive impact (for example you can improve insulin sensitivity and burn some calories). But designing your lifting plan specifically to lose fat (i.e. burn more calories) will do more harm than good.
1 Like