T Nation

Max Protein Consumption?

How many grams of protein is the maximum a person can safely consume? Currently, between food and supplements I get about 150 grams/day (175lbs bodyweight).

Are there any studies to back up what the guidelines are?

Thanks.

If you ate 300 grams a day from when you were born until you died you probably wouldnt have any side effects other than being much larger and stronger than other people your age

try 230 grams of protein

I’m 130 lbs and I eat between 180g to over 200g per day depending on my calories per day (varies between 1750 and 2200)

I have yet to see anything that shows how much protein gets used/wasted by the body. Each person will vary on how much they can absorb, but I don’t think there is a default max amount. Most people will agree that you want 1g to 1.5g of protein per lean pound of bodyweight on average. Anything more won’t hurt.

[quote]Arlemagne wrote:
How many grams of protein is the maximum a person can safely consume? Currently, between food and supplements I get about 150 grams/day (175lbs bodyweight).

Are there any studies to back up what the guidelines are?

Thanks.[/quote]

There are no actual scientific studies on this, or at least none that are reputable or without an agenda. As with any macronutrient, you can consume too much. But it just gets converted to fat and stored, there aren’t many other side-effects to worry about (depending on the source of protein of course).

So if you ate 500g a day of protein (at 175lb), you would just gain fat along with your lean mass. I’m sure for some 500g would be way too much, others not really. I typically consume between 250-300g a day, depending on if it’s a training day or not and I weigh about 215.

150g/day at 175lbs isn’t too bad for maintaining muscle. Don’t expect to build much muscle at that rate though.