T Nation

Max Growth Clusters

does it make a difference if you do the max growth clusters on a movement in the beginning, middle or end of workout?
Could one use it for more tha one movement in a traing session?
When doing this, would you ramp to a 1rm?
So far I have applied it to squats and bench days(once each so far), and the intensity has definitely changed the overall scope of my workouts.

Maybe I’m not there yet but the original layers (HDL after clusters) felt more natural. The drop off set makes performance on cluster 2&3 much harder…

The original layer used 90% clusters with no emphasis on eccentric. The Max Growth Clusters use 80-85% with a 4 second eccentric. The article states the emphasis is on moving heavy weight.
I recently have been using some bastardized version of double progression and growth factor in the same workout.(more emphasis on size as opposed to strength- easier on the joints, etc).It’s been pretty good, but, I’m beginning to get a little bored with this. Although, I am enjoying the “size” some, it may be time to put on some strength.

This Max Growth Clusters seem like it could make for an interesting transition. Like I said in my original post, the intensity of these first 2 workouts has made it such, that I couldn’t finish my typical workout. I basically used it to replace the 5x5 first exercise of the day, and part of the 4x5 second exercise.

The 3 sets do take a good amount of time. The rest is needed! And even with the rest, I could not complete the 8-10- reps portion. I got 5-8. I’m sure this will all change as my body adjusts.
That’s why I asked about how many exercises can you do like this in one session etc.
I’m thinking that this may be a good program to run while transitioning from a hypertrophy emphasized program to a strength emphasized program. Most recently on my 5x5, and 4x5 movements, I have been kin of ramping to a 5RM. I ramp up and when i start getting close to my “training” 5rm, is when I start counting sets. I do a couple sets at a particular weight if I have to, and I try to push a “session” 5RM on my last set if I can tolerate it on that particular day.

Hello!
Approximately how long, in minutes, do you rest between sets? I have only tested the method a couple of times (back squats) and needed at least 5 minutes. 85 % clusters x 6 and 8 reps at 65 %. I think I was a bit fast on the eccentric also. Just curious.

[quote]Sven-Andreas wrote:
Hello!
Approximately how long, in minutes, do you rest between sets? I have only tested the method a couple of times (back squats) and needed at least 5 minutes. 85 % clusters x 6 and 8 reps at 65 %. I think I was a bit fast on the eccentric also. Just curious.[/quote]

I didn’t count or check the clock, but I will say it was definitely a long time. I imagine 5 minutes. I usually don’t rest very long. Just enough to get it going again, but, here, I needed a LOT more. In fact, overall, the 3 sets took a long time- at least 18-22 minutes.