Max-Effort Lower Body Carryover

I’m looking for lower body max-effort exercises, that’ll have the most carry-over to my squat.

My plan is:

Squats, WEEK 1- 5RM, WEEK 2- 3RM, WEEK 3- 1RM
Snatch-grip deadlifts, SAME AS ABOVE
Conventional deadlifts, SAME AS ABOVE

Will both the deadlifts have a good carry-over to improve my squat, or could I choose something more effective?

[quote]OooahhhCANTONA wrote:
I’m looking for lower body max-effort exercises, that’ll have the most carry-over to my squat.

My plan is:

Squats, WEEK 1- 5RM, WEEK 2- 3RM, WEEK 3- 1RM
Snatch-grip deadlifts, SAME AS ABOVE
Conventional deadlifts, SAME AS ABOVE

Will both the deadlifts have a good carry-over to improve my squat, or could I choose something more effective?
[/quote]

Deadlifts will help your squat.

1. Sled dragging and push sled will help your deadlift & squats a lot too.

2. Reverse Hyper will increase your deadlift & squat.

TRAIN HARD

“BIG WILLIE” J.T. HALL

Are you planning on doing any quad work?

I don’t have access to sleds. But I could do hyperextensions as accessory work.

My quads will be worked by an unilateral exercise.

MY Lower body MAX EFFORT DAY

1.Max-effort exercise
2.Unlitaeral exercise- Lunges, OR Bulgarian split Squats
3.Hamstring/posterior chain- Hyperextension,OR stiff-leg deadlift
4.ABS

I’m not sure I understand your routine.

So on week one you would work up to a 5RM on squat, followed by a 5RM for deads and a 5RM for snatch grip deads, and then week two is the same except you are working up to a 3RM and then a 1RM on week 3?

Aren’t you a sprinter? This workout doesn’t seem suitable at all.

I see no need to be doing more than one max effort exercise in a single session. Also, two deadlift variations in the same workout seems like overkill.

It will be easier for people to give you advice if you tell us your PR’s (both running and weightroom).

Good mornings of all shapes and sizes carry over best for me.

He’s doing WS4SB, from what I can tell

Max Effort Lift
Squat, Deadlift, Goodmorning, etc: Up to 3-5 RM
Unilateral
Lunge, Step up, Split squat, etc: 7-15 reps for 3-4 sets
Posterior Chain
GHR, RDL, Pull thru, Leg curl, etc: 6-10 reps for 3-4 sets

Anyways, I only alternate Squat and Deadlift.

I added in a second lower day where I alternate a 12" box squat and a 18" box squat also.

Edit: I don’t think a snatch grip deadlift will have much carryover… I don’t know

[quote]gabex wrote:
He’s doing WS4SB, from what I can tell

Max Effort Lift
Squat, Deadlift, Goodmorning, etc: Up to 3-5 RM
Unilateral
Lunge, Step up, Split squat, etc: 7-15 reps for 3-4 sets
Posterior Chain
GHR, RDL, Pull thru, Leg curl, etc: 6-10 reps for 3-4 sets

Anyways, I only alternate Squat and Deadlift.

I added in a second lower day where I alternate a 12" box squat and a 18" box squat also.

Edit: I don’t think a snatch grip deadlift will have much carryover… I don’t know[/quote]

Ye, I’m doing WS4SB.

I thought I’d add the snatch-grip, some people have said it really hits you.

[quote]Regular Gonzalez wrote:

It will be easier for people to give you advice if you tell us your PR’s (both running and weightroom).

edit - Just saw your last post. That looks much better than what I thought you were doing.[/quote]

Squat-140kg, 308lbs
Deadlift-175kg, 386lbs
Bench-125kg, 276lbs

100m- 11.5 last race a good while ago, now got into training again. Early 11’s by the end of the year.

Age- 17, not 18 till next March
Height- 5"8
Weight- 175lbs

I know you are doing a ‘westside’ thing but I have alweays found squating to be give the best carryover to squating.

But as you want ME lifts why not add in front squats and box squats. Front squats will be very good for you to do either way.

i find hack squats (the barbell version, not the machine) help me with my squat. when the hacks’s go up in weight, so do my regular squats.

[quote]IainK wrote:
I know you are doing a ‘westside’ thing but I have alweays found squating to be give the best carryover to squating.

But as you want ME lifts why not add in front squats and box squats. Front squats will be very good for you to do either way.[/quote]

Front Squats was part of Defranco’s Westside template, but is not a max-effort option on the final program.

I have tried front squats in the past though, I do understand everyone’s different though, so they could help me out, even if they don’t help out the majority of people.

Good Mornings, stiff legged deads.

I am quad dominant so I need extra P Chain focus.

I wouldn’t use two deadlift variations, I think you would be better off replacing one of them with a good morning or squat. I have never had much of a carry over from deadlift to squat.

I imagine front squats would have more carryover to your squat than deadlifts, especially for raw squats.

You really want to pick Max Effort Exercises that address your own weaknesses. Someone with very strong legs but a weak back might benefit more from Pin Pulls or Good-Mornings than they would from Front Squats.

But I think it’s a safe bet to say that SQUATS will have the most carryover to your squat. That means Squats with Various Bars, Squats with Various Box Heights, Front Squats, Zercher Squats, and Anderson Squats.

I think Snatch-Grip Deadlifts, Platform Deadlifts, Barbell Hack Squats, and Banded Deadlifts will have more Carryover to your Squat than Reverse-Band Deadlifts, Deadlifts, and Rack Pulls would.

I think my weakness is, lower back and abs.

Because when I add a belt, I also add about 20kgs!

So am gonna be hitting them 2 hard.

By the sound of it, I should be rotating, Squats,Front Squats,Good mornings and possibly snatch-grip deadlifts

[quote]OooahhhCANTONA wrote:
I think my weakness is, lower back and abs.

Because when I add a belt, I also add about 20kgs!

So am gonna be hitting them 2 hard.

By the sound of it, I should be rotating, Squats,Front Squats,Good mornings and possibly snatch-grip deadlifts[/quote]

For Lower Back and Abdominal Strength you should be hitting Zercher Squats, Rack Deadlifts, and Front Squats.

Squats and Front Squats are ok but I think Rack Deadlifts are a much better Max Effort Exercise than Good-Mornings. You can do Good-Mornings after your Money lift of the day and use several sets of 5 or 6 reps.

Is your Squat pretty close to your deadlift?

At my gym, instead of the lowest rack been mid-shin, it’s more like knee height.

My squat is 308lbs last time I maxed, and deadlift is 386lbs.

Good mornings will definitely help with your low back strength, but like FightingScott said you can do them as an accessory movement. I would do some kind of good morning twice a week, band good mornings, barbell, or even heavy back extensions.