Max Effort Day, Finish with AMRAP or 3x5?

Hey Guys,

The program I am running has Max Effort Days. Monday/Tuesday.
Work up to max set of 5 reps.
After drop 10 percent and do AMRAP.

Just curious what people think about getting rid of the AMRAP and doing 10 percent drop sets of 3x5? This would increase my workload and volume which would be better for a new lifter right?

Is your current program no longer working?

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Is your current program no longer working?[/quote]

Yes it is working but I was looking for more volume on the max effort lifts.

[quote]Millwrong12 wrote:

Is your current program no longer working?[/quote]

Yes it is working but I was looking for more volume on the max effort lifts.

[/quote]

Any particular reason why?

It kinda depends on a lot of things. Whats the full workout look like? On a lot of max effort workouts the second exercise could be targeting a weak point which could be more volume, drop sets, cluster sets, partials whatever. Are you following a workout template or a program? If its a program and you are not stalling then why change?

Also are you doing max effort days back to back? I do not see that scheduling too often. Usually there is a dynamic or repetition day after max. Or a day off. Just curious

Its a defranco program. I was just curious regarding 10 percent drop 3x5 instead of AMRAP.

Its a defranco program. I was just curious regarding 10 percent drop 3x5 instead of AMRAP.[/quote]

DeFranco seems to have a pretty good handle on producing big and strong people. Since his program is working for you, I’d stick with it until it stops working. Once it stops working, you might consider doing something else.

Im very familiar with Defrancos workouts. Do not deviate from his plan. Which workout of his is it?

SB911, its a great program. I was just wondering about volume that is all and was curious what you guys thought.

It is sure a fun program and round 1 saw great results. Girl friend already thinks I am way thicker.

Personally I’d do the 3x5, then drop the weight down to like 50% and do a few high volume sets.

But I’m no Joe DeFranco, and people pay way more for his advice than they do mine, so maybe best to just stick with the program

Remember, you have the Max Effort day, where you want to lift heavy weights. The other day (Repetition day?) is for volume. The whole plan is structured to have the two different sessions. Too many reps on Max day, and going too heavy on DE/RE are the “classic” ways mess up this sort of program. Keep the 2 workouts different.

In my opinion, your plan isn’t bad or crazy or anything. If you were on a different routine, like Push/Pull/Legs, where you only had 1 session per week, it would be really smart to lift 4 different weights per workout. You would be getting some heavy weights, and a bunch of total reps, and those important 1st reps in.

But the DeFranco plan has 2 sessions. Keep one heavy and the other for volume.

SB911, its a great program. I was just wondering about volume that is all and was curious what you guys thought.

It is sure a fun program and round 1 saw great results. Girl friend already thinks I am way thicker. [/quote]

I legitimately am not understanding why you’re wanting to modify a program that is giving great results. Are you anticipating that the modifications you want to make will give you even greater results?

It may just be me and how I approach things. I don’t give much credit to theory, only results. A method is only as sound as it’s success dictates, and no matter how much science backs something up, if it doesn’t work for you, it’s worthless.

It appears, based on the results you are getting, you do not need to extra volume. At best, modifying the program will allow you to continue getting great results. At worst, it will give you not as good results. Changing a working method to pursue a potentially NOT working method does not seem like a sound idea.

It is sure a fun program and round 1 saw great results. Girl friend already thinks I am way thicker. [/quote]

I legitimately am not understanding why you’re wanting to modify a program that is giving great results. Are you anticipating that the modifications you want to make will give you even greater results?
[/quote]

I legitimately do understand why you’re wanting to change a working program. I always have the urge to tweak here and there and everywhere and it rarely, if ever, gives me good results. I would suggest that one of the reasons that Th3Pwnisher is considerably more successful than either of us is because he doesn’t think like this.

Do not deviate and stick with Defranco’s program. Looking real quick through the workout outline and it has different phases. One phase might add that extra volume you want. So be patient.

if you must add volume do it on the volume/RE day. But yeah dont mess with something thats working