max effort and reps question

Joe- I started the program with a ME bench day. I was just wondering, how many sets of 3 should i do? I did

135, 165, 185, 190, 195, 200(but i only got two)…that didnt really seem like enough however. What would be the best # of sets?

Also, im doing a 7 workout per 14 days split, with 2 ME squat days, and a ME dead day. The prob is, with some camps such as the cornell one, i will need to squat for reps. Is it necessary, to increase my strength and speed, to do a lot of reps for lower body work? I will do reps for lunges etc in my supp work, will that do? Ive noticed in your article, and westside, for power leg excersices, high reps are hardly ever used.

Thanks for all the help, this is helping me so much

BigDirk,

The GENERAL rule that I give is to get at leat 5 sets in. Your progression was fine. When you say “it didn’t feel like enough” - what are you referring to? You’re probably referring to the “pump”. Don’t use the “pump” as the sole indicator of how good of a workout you had. Max effort exercises don’t usually make you that pumped. Worry about getting stronger, NOT more pumped! And make sure your ass gets 200lbs. for 3 reps the next time you bench!

Also, save the high-rep lower body training for your unilateral exercises.

Joe, in your opinion is it necessary to do Dynamic leg work to increase speed? With this routine

ME squat
ME bench
sprint
off
ME dead
reps bench
sprint
ME bench
off
ME squat
sprint
reps bench
sprint
off

I thought that with the “sprint” days combining technique, 10s, 40s, and agility drills (not all at once) that my speed would increase, and my lifting is geared to make me more powerful.

So is that routine ok to use in order to get strong, fast, and just an overall better player?

BigDirk,

For advanced athletes, I HIGHLY recommend dynamic days for lower body! Remember that my skinny bastard program was divised for athletes who lack speed and strength due to their lack of MUSCLE MASS.

And by the way, I don’t like the idea of having separate max-effort squat and max-effort deadlift days. I think that these 2 should be interchangeable. Just rotate your max-effort exercises between squat variations, deadlift variations and good morning variations.

well i wouldnt say that im an advanced athlete by any stretch of the imagination, but i get what you’re saying.

So how about this?

ME squat
ME bench
sprint
off
DE squat
reps bench
sprint
ME squat
ME bench
off
DE squat
reps bench
sprint

the only problem with this is that it only leaves room for 3 of 14 days in which to do technique/actually run some 40s.

Does this look ok? also, i love to squat, but how often should i ME dead instead of Squat?

Thanks for all the help

actually Joe, dont pay attention to the post above. if im just going to lift 4 days a week, my schedule doesnt need to be set aroun 14 days does it?

Hows this:

Sun sprint
Mon ME bench
tues off
Wed ME squat
thurs reps bench
fri sprint
sat DE squat

I figure this way, my rest day will occur right before my biggest effort leg day. On that day i will do a unilateral and a posterior chain excercise also, and on the DE day it will just be the one lift. For DE i think i will stay with squats for awhile. I love to squat for power, but i know i should deadlift too. How often should i substitute a deadlift variation of my leg days?

Thanks again for the help