Max Amount of Water Weight Lost

I have a competition coming up and am going to need to cut weight. The weigh ins are 2 hours before the comp begins. What is the typical amount of weight that can be lost (% or lbs) through only water intake/manipulation?
Also, what methods/protocols do you typically follow?

[quote]TheDrill wrote:
I have a competition coming up and am going to need to cut weight. The weigh ins are 2 hours before the comp begins. What is the typical amount of weight that can be lost (% or lbs) through only water intake/manipulation?
Also, what methods/protocols do you typically follow?[/quote]

depends, how much are you trying to lose and in what time frame?

I’ve been able to hit at least 5-7lbs with a combination of water/carb manipulation.

Get your water intake up to 1-2 gallons through the day, about 12 hours prior to weigh-in stop drinking. After weigh-in start drinking. Notching back on the carbs the last couple weeks helps out too.

For a 2 hour weigh in I’d be VERY careful.

I personally wouldn’t try and lose anymore than 2kg, so around 5lb. I’ve done more in the past and it’s been a disaster.

i find food poisoning works well, i lost almost 10 lbs last saturday

[quote]Hanley wrote:
For a 2 hour weigh in I’d be VERY careful.

I personally wouldn’t try and lose anymore than 2kg, so around 5lb. I’ve done more in the past and it’s been a disaster.[/quote]

I’d agree with Hanley, you might seriously mess up if you get it wrong. Typical pitfalls include:

Losing too much weight, not being able to put it back (where it belongs, not just water weight in your stomach) leading to big strength loss AND poor fitting gear.

Trying to lift to the max with a gutfull of fluid / food and spewing in the warm up room or on your first attempt (this happened to a training buddy of mine, he lost his pasta and tuna halfway up with his first squat- got the lift though!)

You need to try out your intended protocol before you try it prior to a comp. If you are a new lifter, you might be a lot better off if you forget about making weight and concentrate on making your lifts.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
i find food poisoning works well, i lost almost 10 lbs last saturday[/quote]

Lol. Well, it is effective

I’ve lost 3-4 kg prior of water weight (over the course of a week) prior to comps without any noticeable decreases in strength. Everyone is different though- I tend to have a lot of carbs and salt in my diet though so I carry more water.

Start drinking lots of water 3 days prior (3-4 gallons) add some sodium as well, not alot just a little bit for retention. The next day (2 days prior) cut your water intake to about 2 gallons without sodium.

Then 24 hours before, cut your water (and food) completely. You will be peeing ALOT you could lose up to 12 lbs with this method. Also your bowels contain about 5lbs of waste at all times try a nice natural laxative 24 hours before weigh-ins.

Make sure after weight ins you eat and drink about every half hour to get your body healthy again and back to full power. I wrestle and I was sittin at around 150-153 and had to weigh in at 138, and this method worked fine. But i had 24 hours to recover you only have 2 hours so i dont know if this would work for you.
Good luck

Your BP will suffer the most when you loose wt. You can plan on losing about 3 lbs from your BP per lb. of bwt lost AFTER the first 3 lbs of lost bwt. The lighter you are the more dramatic the effects.

I compete in 2 hour weigh-in meets too. I like to reduce my H20 all day friday and eat an earlier dinner. Saturday morning go to the bathroom and get rid of any body waste. Then, go weigh-in.

[b]TRAIN HARD

“BIG WILLIE” J.T. HALL[/b]