Max 35% Protein

Completely utterly wrong.

[quote]helga wrote:
Did that crap actually make sense in your head when you thought it?[/quote]

Yes. I think the body would do its best to adjust for a lethal protein intake by burning endogenous stores through other pathways.

The abstract mentioned many more variables than just % of daily caloric intake. It looks like the main takeaway message is that your body can’t process more than 5g/kg of protein per day which comes out to 2.2g/lb. Taking more than that is pointless.

Actually,if you eat more protein than your body can use,it will be broken down and used as energy.

Or stored as fat on your body… with the excess nitrogen being urinated away

Rabbit starvation syndrome is for real, but it usually affects people that live in frozen climates and the only food they are able to eat is rabbit (they are often abundant in such environments). The key is to inlcude fat in the diet. So, if you are ever living in the Great White North, be sure to eat the bunny organs and bones.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/71/3/682

“Many historical and ethnographic accounts have documented the deleterious health effects that have occurred when humans were forced to rely solely on the fat-depleted lean meat of wild animals (39). Excess consumption of dietary protein from the lean meats of wild animals leads to a condition referred to by early American explorers as “rabbit starvation,” which initially results in nausea, then diarrhea, and then death (39). Clinical documentation of this syndrome is virtually nonexistent, except for a single case study (42). Despite the paucity of clinical data, it is quite likely that the symptoms of rabbit starvation result primarily from the finite ability of the liver to up-regulate enzymes necessary for urea synthesis in the face of increasing dietary protein intake. Rudman et al (43) showed that the mean maximal rate of urea synthesis (MRUS) in normal subjects is 65 mg N�?�h-1�?�kg body wt-0.75 (range: 55�??76 mg N�?�h-1�?�kg body wt-0.75) and that protein intakes that exceeded the MRUS resulted in hyperammonemia and hyperaminoacidemia. Using Rudman et al’s (43) data (assuming 16% N/g protein), we calculated the mean maximal protein intake for an 80-kg subject to be 250 g/d (range: 212�??292 g/d). For a 12552-kJ energy intake, the mean maximal dietary protein intake would be 35.1% of energy (range: 29.7�??40.9% of energy). Therefore, dietary protein intakes greater than values in this range may result in hyperammonemia and hyperaminoacidemia, which in turn likely cause some of the clinical symptoms responsible for the rabbit starvation syndrome described by explorers.”

Compared to what my health teacher recommends, 35% is a lot. She says you should have less than 15% protein and less than 20% fat. Protein kills your kidneys and fat spikes your insulin too high according to her.

rofl @ playmaker

I think it’s logical that having a 90% protein diet ala rabbit meat only would be a problem… your body would become ‘protein adapted’ leading to digested heart muscle etc etc (I think theres a precedent somewhere regarding that) which is why all diets make one a carb burner or a fat burner, not a protein burner. Just my 2c

I’m presuming the RSS only applies when we’re talking about wild rabbits. Domesticated ones are some chubby little bastards.

I average about 39% protein now, so I’m probably doomed. DOOMED I TELL YOU!

Too much protein (for me) turns to kidney stones… I dont care how many people get upset and call BS.

Kidney stones? Oh, man… I think I’ll look that up and if I find any documentation of it I’ll be cutting back on those shakes. Kidney stones is one thing I damn sure don’t want to mess around with.

[quote]thirdside wrote:
Kidney stones? Oh, man… I think I’ll look that up and if I find any documentation of it I’ll be cutting back on those shakes. Kidney stones is one thing I damn sure don’t want to mess around with.[/quote]

I think genetics play a huge role in who gets kidney stones. I am glad no one in my family has ever had one, a kid I know has had about 5 of them…ouch

The problem I have with these high protein diets will kill you things is they aren’t tested on “us”. A 240 lb sedentary computer nerd is not the same as a 240 lb heavy weight training bodybuilder eating for serious size gains. To say neither of them should have more than 35% of their calories from protein is assuming that the first person can utilize even close the the amount of protein the second can. BULLSHIT

An all protein diet with no fat and no carbs(and likely low water too) will be bad for anyone, but who in the world would do that on purpose that has any common sense and has other means for food? The words essential fatty acids aren’t a suggestion, they are ESSENTIAL.

With increased protein intake(I’m talking 350+ gram range) comes the responsibility of the person to A) have a reason for it ala hardcore weight training and B) to dramatically increase water intake to avoid many of the potential health issues. If you aren’t doing A and won’t do B then you shouldn’t be eating a very high protein diet in my opinion

[quote]The Brain wrote:
Kailash wrote:
The Brain wrote:
Think of how many trainee’s get [often significantly] over 35% of their energy from protein, just ones you know personally will do. How many are dead from it? How many people died on the Velocity Diet? Or the Anabolic Diet? Or the Atkins diet? I know of not a single person, and the only people I can think of being able to die in this circumstances would be bullemic / anorexic.

Maybe they were eating over 35% protein, but those people were not actually getting over 35% of their energy from protein.

They were burning the body’s fat and glycogen stores.

ding ding ding!

Guess I’ve been living off my bodies glycogen stores for years now. I get [and have gotten] around 50% of my calories from protein for a long time now. I don’t appear dead, but I have been fooled before.

I know several guys and girls on the Atkins diet, which is low carb, low[ish] fat, and they have been on it for a long enough time that I would have noticed if they were dead [and yes, to put it as clear as I can these people have been getting well over 35% of their total energy from protein].

No one died from the velocity diet.

ding ding ding! [whatever the fuck that was supposed to mean][/quote]

thats because there is still some fat in their diet. You will become sick if you eat all protein NO fat. Plus, your brain needs fat to function, how will it function with no fat to fuel it?

[quote]playmaker08 wrote:
thirdside wrote:
Kidney stones? Oh, man… I think I’ll look that up and if I find any documentation of it I’ll be cutting back on those shakes. Kidney stones is one thing I damn sure don’t want to mess around with.

I think genetics play a huge role in who gets kidney stones. I am glad no one in my family has ever had one, a kid I know has had about 5 of them…ouch[/quote]

Genetics do play a huge role in stones…but no one in my family has ever had them.