Max 35% Protein

According to this article, A review of issues of dietary protein intake in humans - PubMed one shouldn’t get over 35% of his energy from protein.

The liver isn’t able to convert the extra nitrogen in to urea. One could even die from “rabbit starvation syndrome”.

I’d never heard this before.

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
According to this article, A review of issues of dietary protein intake in humans - PubMed one shouldn’t get over 35% of his energy from protein.

The liver isn’t able to convert the extra nitrogen in to urea. One could even die from “rabbit starvation syndrome”.

I’d never heard this before.[/quote]

Think of how many trainee’s get [often significantly] over 35% of their energy from protein, just ones you know personally will do. How many are dead from it? How many people died on the Velocity Diet? Or the Anabolic Diet? Or the Atkins diet? I know of not a single person, and the only people I can think of being able to die in this circumstances would be bullemic / anorexic.

I can’t wait to have access to the full article ! That should be an interesting review.

John Berardi suggest eating lots of veggies (or any basal food) to counter the acid properties of a high protein diet. He posted something about it, you should check it out.

What a crock. I’ve been eating about 40% of my cals from protein for about 4 years. I bet that study was funded by PETA.

Just checking fitday for the last 2 weeks, my protein consumption averaged out at 48% and I’m nowhere near rabbit or any other sort of starvation. It sounds like they’re talking about things that theoretically could happen w/o checking whether they acually do.

[quote]purdiver wrote:
What a crock. I’ve been eating about 40% of my cals from protein for about 4 years. I bet that study was funded by PETA.[/quote]
Perhaps it just causes brain-damage in your case. :wink:
Just kidding man.

I’m also near 30-35%. But I was surprised there was an upper limit at all.

[quote]The Brain wrote:
Think of how many trainee’s get [often significantly] over 35% of their energy from protein, just ones you know personally will do. How many are dead from it? How many people died on the Velocity Diet? Or the Anabolic Diet? Or the Atkins diet? I know of not a single person, and the only people I can think of being able to die in this circumstances would be bullemic / anorexic.[/quote]

Maybe they were eating over 35% protein, but those people were not actually getting over 35% of their energy from protein.

They were burning the body’s fat and glycogen stores.

ding ding ding!

What the hell is ‘rabbit starvation syndrome?’

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
What the hell is ‘rabbit starvation syndrome?’[/quote]

Rabbit meat has virtually no fat.
and those who are in a situation where they are only able to eat rabbit meat, can die from RSS if they get no fat. (protien overdose)
(or so the theory goes)

Rabbit and venison (deer) are very lean meats…
(rabbit more so than venison)

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
What the hell is ‘rabbit starvation syndrome?’[/quote]

That shit vegetarians get from eating too many vegetables and soy and not enough real food.

[quote]blitzkrg wrote:
jsbrook wrote:

and those who are in a situation where they are only able to eat rabbit meat, can die from RSS if they get no fat. (protien overdose)
(or so the theory goes)

[/quote]

Huh. Interesting. I find it hard to believe. Seems to me that if you get enough calories, your body would be able to live off only protein for a long time. It wouldn’t be healthy, but you’d live. Glad there have been no controlled experiments to test that out though. haha.

[quote]itsthetimman wrote:
jsbrook wrote:

That shit vegetarians get from eating too many vegetables and soy and not enough real food.[/quote]

hahaha

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
blitzkrg wrote:
jsbrook wrote:

(or so the theory goes)

Huh. Interesting. I find it hard to believe. Seems to me that if you get enough calories, your body would be able to live off only protein for a long time. It wouldn’t be healthy, but you’d live. Glad there have been no controlled experiments to test that out though. haha.[/quote]

You’d get a defficiency disease from a lack of something else, like scurvy for example.

This is an amusing theory…but even if a level of protein was a health hazard, expressing it as a percentage is crazy…35% could equal anything from 50-500g or more, depending on your total calorie intake. I am of the opinion that if you consume high levels of protein, you would be prudent to think about over acidity and enzyme depletion, but the old protein kidney theory, is just that, an unproven theory.

Rabbit meat is tasty! I’ll volunteer for that only-eat-rabbit experiment any day. Just let me have a multi-vitamin and some fish oils every day :slight_smile:

I’ve been told many times that I have an eating disorder or that my eating habits are unhealthy because “we only really need to eat meat a couple days a week”…and it was always by people that didn’t look as healthy as me, and were weaker than me, that were telling me this.

What I tell 'em: My personal experience is worth 1000 bogus studies, pal.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
Rabbit meat is tasty! I’ll volunteer for that only-eat-rabbit experiment any day. Just let me have a multi-vitamin and some fish oils every day :slight_smile:

I’ve been told many times that I have an eating disorder or that my eating habits are unhealthy because “we only really need to eat meat a couple days a week”…and it was always by people that didn’t look as healthy as me, and were weaker than me, that were telling me this.

What I tell 'em: My personal experience is worth 1000 bogus studies, pal.[/quote]

it’s not about eating to much rabbit meat, it’s about not having any fat.
RSS means, all protien and no fat…
if you eat fat, then you can eat as much rabbit as you want.

Rabbit starvation is pretty well documented.
If you google for it you’ll find lots of references, most of them regarding the fat-eating habits of Eskimo’s and Indians.

[quote]blitzkrg wrote:
it’s not about eating to much rabbit meat, it’s about not having any fat.
RSS means, all protien and no fat…
if you eat fat, then you can eat as much rabbit as you want.[/quote]

That was my point when I volunteered for the study :wink:

[quote]Kailash wrote:
The Brain wrote:
Think of how many trainee’s get [often significantly] over 35% of their energy from protein, just ones you know personally will do. How many are dead from it? How many people died on the Velocity Diet? Or the Anabolic Diet? Or the Atkins diet? I know of not a single person, and the only people I can think of being able to die in this circumstances would be bullemic / anorexic.

Maybe they were eating over 35% protein, but those people were not actually getting over 35% of their energy from protein.

ding ding ding![/quote]

Guess I’ve been living off my bodies glycogen stores for years now. I get [and have gotten] around 50% of my calories from protein for a long time now. I don’t appear dead, but I have been fooled before.

I know several guys and girls on the Atkins diet, which is low carb, low[ish] fat, and they have been on it for a long enough time that I would have noticed if they were dead [and yes, to put it as clear as I can these people have been getting well over 35% of their total energy from protein].

No one died from the velocity diet.

ding ding ding! [whatever the fuck that was supposed to mean]

[quote]Kailash wrote:

ding ding ding![/quote]

Did that crap actually make sense in your head when you thought it?