T Nation

Matt Kroc's Deadlift Program for Other Lifts?

Hello all,

Matt Kroc wrote an article a few years ago with some deadlift programming in it that looks like this:

• Week 1: 5 x 5 x 70%
  • Week 2: 5 x 3 x 75%
  • Week 3: 5 x 1 x 80%
  • Week 4: No deadlifting
  • Week 5: 5 x 5 x 75%
  • Week 6: 5 x 3 x 80%
  • Week 7: 5 x 1 x 85%
  • Week 8: No deadlifting
  • Week 9: 4 x 5 x 80%
  • Week 10: 4 x 3 x 85%
  • Week 11: 4 x 1 x 90%
  • Week 12: No deadlifting
  • Week 13: 3 x 5 x 85%
  • Week 14: 3 x 3 x 90%
  • Week 15: 3 x 1 x 95%
  • Week 16: No deadlifting
  • Week 17: Retest your max

Does anyone know if this would be good programming for squat, bench, and press as well?

Thanks

Why not just use Kroc’s bench and squat programs?

ROFL! I guess that would be the obvious thing to do! I didn’t realize he had written those other articles. Thanks

Assuming you got enough rest/recovery - could you run all at once? Or maybe bench squat or DL. And have an easier day. You know. Cuz these look great / really fricking hard.

I would imagine they all work together.

I think I just found my new template for the summer.
Thanks.

Just for farts and tickles, I punched in the numbers for all 3 programs:

Deads were very do-able, and no programmed accessories would make that an “easy” day.

Bench looked like a kick-ass progression, but would drive me crazy staying in the low ranges of my capabilities during the first half. Check the ego.

Squats, on the other hand, looks like a cold-hearted bitch that would max out your credit cards, wreck your car, and leave you with a bad case of crabs. 10 sets of 5 with 70% of your real 1RM and only a minute of rests between sets? I’d rather have a red-hot poker stuck up my ass. I knocked 30lbs off my 1RM -recalculated- and it still gave me dreadful, but do-able figures.

One thing that would line up in your favor if your ran these concurrently -and started them at the same time- is that the high volume bench day would line up with the heavy squat sessions. So if you did heavy squats on Monday, you would get the high volume bench work every other corresponding Wednesday. Do deads on Friday and get a good weekend’s rest to get ready to be annihilated again on Monday.

I would have to run it Thursday (squat) , Saturday (bench) Sunday (deadlift). I have judo Tuesday and Friday. And my wife is out Monday and Wednesday.
This is only a work in progress right now. I’ll look at the numbers and an accessory programme. I have time - another 5 weeks of 531 to finish a 12 week cycle.
Ill pour over the articals and post what I find.
But thanks for the heads up!

Are these all 1 day a week programs? I read through these articles and I was trying to figure out how I would run all 3 at the same time as well lol.

I’ve run it a few times (well, the one out of the Insane Training book, which is slightly different, but not significantly so). It works well each time. Just about perfectly dialed in.

Yup.