T Nation

Matt Kroc and High Reps

When looking at his log on elitefts, I see his done some exercises working upto a 20RM.
These are “kroc rows”,“kroc curls”, and barbell shrugs. Why does he aim for 20, instead of lower reps?

Thanks

You know there’s a Q&A section on Elite where you can ask Matt himself right?

Here’s a video explaining the kroc row http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=RF8Fpssobvc&feature=PlayList&p=C83054773B790EAC&index=9

Here’s another one worth watching http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=i5hTwwCtrWA&feature=PlayList&p=C83054773B790EAC&index=18

Thanks for those vids Hanley.

They’re great.

it’s a mental test

His last name is fucking KROC, he could build a rap career or at least a criminal empire in gotham city off of that shit

the least he can do is some crazy lifting variations…

Ye thanks for the videos Hanley.

Kroc’s one hell of a beast!

The last words from the Kroc Row video: “Keep what works. Get rid of what doesn’t.”

Awesome.

I also love how he talks about following a bunch of different “cookie cutter” programs and not being able to tell what works and what doesn’t.

Great videos Hanley.
Thanks.

[quote]rowe wrote:
When looking at his log on elitefts, I see his done some exercises working upto a 20RM.
These are “kroc rows”,“kroc curls”, and barbell shrugs. Why does he aim for 20, instead of lower reps?

Thanks[/quote]

“kroc curls” were a joke if I remember right.

He does fairly high reps on his current arm work because of his tendonitis and such, if I’m not mistaken… He’s also apparently a larry scott fan and likes to do the same exercises as larry…

As for kroc rows… his reps are anywhere from 5-40 on those… Generally, when he does something like 20 reps, it’s not a straight 20 rapid-fire-reps set, more of a semi-rest-paused one. He’ll catch his breath after 10-12 reps or whenever, do a few more, catch his breath again, do a few more… Like a 20 rep breathing squat, sort of.

Some of his “famous” sets were 225x20(or was it 25?) (had to do more reps because that was the heaviest bell in the gym originally… Noticed that that worked very well… Kept doing it.
17538 (or was it 40?)

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
rowe wrote:

Thanks

He does fairly high reps on his current arm work because of his tendonitis and such, if I’m not mistaken… He’s also apparently a larry scott fan and likes to do the same exercises as larry…

As for kroc rows… his reps are anywhere from 5-40 on those… Generally, when he does something like 20 reps, it’s not a straight 20 rapid-fire-reps set, more of a semi-rest-paused one. He’ll catch his breath after 10-12 reps or whenever, do a few more, catch his breath again, do a few more… Like a 20 rep breathing squat, sort of.

Some of his “famous” sets were 225x20(or was it 25?) (had to do more reps because that was the heaviest bell in the gym originally… Noticed that that worked very well… Kept doing it.
17538 (or was it 40?)

[/quote]

He’s up to 12 with 300 now. 0_0

Kroc is just a BEAST, who tha hell else out there handles 300lb db’s with one hand?

One of the reasons he’s been doing higher rep stuff lately is because the goal of his workotuts lately is hypertrophy, he says he’s trying to put on size and compete in the 242 class.

[quote]Bloobird wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
rowe wrote:

Thanks

17538 (or was it 40?)

[/quote]

Guess we really are going to see a 300x20 at some point lol

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Bloobird wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
rowe wrote:

Thanks

17538 (or was it 40?)

Guess we really are going to see a 300x20 at some point lol

[/quote]

Most people dream of squatting that!!

[quote]crashcrew56 wrote:
One of the reasons he’s been doing higher rep stuff lately is because the goal of his workotuts lately is hypertrophy, he says he’s trying to put on size and compete in the 242 class.[/quote]

yea, after his last cut to 220lbs where he got the record total, he mentioned that it was getting too hard to do because of the size he has added in the last couple years. so hes basically going to have to go up to 242 out of necessity. i think he mentioned getting up to about 265/270. BEAST

He’s also talking about maybe doing a bodyingbuilding show, but I think if he does that, he’s going to have a hard time competing with some of the guys in the 242 class