T Nation

Matt Hughes VS Royce Gracie in May

Predictions?

I think Royce will be the toughest fight Hughes has ever had and could potentially take him. It'll be badass either way.

I don't see how this announcement is "forever changing."
As far as let-downs go, this is the best it could have been. I thought they'd announce more televised coverage. As much as I like free MMA, if the current UFC talent pool is put into more shows, free or not, I will stop watching. The TUF crowd has to go.
The Sylvia fight showcases the lack of heavyweight contenders.

Sure, a Hughes-Gracie fight is exciting. It also means Hughes-GSP probably won't take place this year.

I'm looking forward to Hughes-Gracie. The buildup to the huge announcement was lame as hell, though.

Speaking of lame - did any of the bouts last night get out of the first round? I quit watching after Bonnam(sp) won his bout. Can they not find more evenly matched opponents than this?

How old is Gracie?

Hughes is an incredible physical specimen.

Does Gracie have something in his bag of tricks Hughes is not aware of?

When Gracie did so well at the beginning he beat a lot of people that didn't understand what he was doing.

Now a lot of people copied his techniques.

I think Gracie will find it a little tougher this time around.

Gracie can choke you out from across the ring just by giving you a look.

That damn Brazilian is evil I say - evil.

He can definitely do that to me, and most of the population, but not to Hughes.

Hughes is part of the new breed of Mixed Martial Artists, which is actually the first real generation of "Mixed...".

I'm sure that Gracie won't lose easilly, because he is too experienced, but he'll lose just like with Sakuraba.

On another note, Arlovski is going to kill Tim Sylvia.

Toughest fight hmmm? Hate to sound like a broken record, but I'd have to say being choked out three minutes into the first round would constitute a pretty tough fight.

Anyways, this is bullshit. Either way you look at it this should be BJ Penn's fight. Either with Hughes or Gracie. Hughes should've fought Penn before Gracie as I'm sure this is a fight Penn has been dreaming about since the beginning, and beating Gracie will not solidify Hughe's position like a vicotry over Penn would. Only because Hughes is Dana White's golden boy is he being hyped as the best middleweight ever...I almost broke my TV last night after hearing "best welterweight of all time" for the fourth time.

I hope Royce does beat Hughes, but it is a steep proposition for someone who hasn't been consistently participating in MMA to go up against one of the most well-rounded fighters at the top(near the top) of his division. I do not think Royce will be able to take Hughes down.

The one thing that will work in Royce's favor is that Hughes is a competitor and won't come out looking to win by some bullshit lay and pray. negating Royce's submissions by just playing defense, so at least it will be a fight. Royce is obviously the nostalgic choice for many of us whose interest in MMA was brought about because of his fights in the first UFC's, but unfortunately, I just don't see him being able to submit Hughes.

Those fights were lame. And then the BIG announcement....bunk. Once I saw Matt Hughes come out, I was like "Dude, please be St.Pierre!" Schnope. Old man Gracie. Hey the dude was nails back in the early to mid 90's. He blew my mind at how just a normal looking guy could take out someone that looked all diesel by just grabbing a limb. But Matt Hughes is a different story. Gracie WAS good but Hughes is the real deal. He'll pick up Gracie and carry him across the ring and slam him just like everyone else, only it will be more brutal. Yeah Gracie put it on the map, but Hughes is the staple of MMA and UFC. I give it 2 minutes into the first round. The strength difference is too big.
As far as Arlovski Vs. Sylvia....Arlovski is going to destroy Sylvia. Sylvia is just big. His movements are so telegraphed and slow. Arlovski is way too quick. He moves like a small guy in the ring. I don't think he will KO or get Sylvia to tap, but he will have his way the whole match.
I am looking forward to Nick Diaz V. Diesel Riggs. Diaz is always talking shit about how he doesn't get his shots. And then he got beat by Sanchez. Diesel will make him his BEEOOTTCHH.
And by the way, James Irvin can take some pain! That guys arm was getting cranked on like a champ by Bonnar, and it took forever to tap. I thought he was gonna make it to the bell.
And Bonnar did hint the slip of wanting to fight Griffin again. That would be epic.

I still want to see Hughes V. St.Pierre
but prob not until '07.

Nooge

and by the way....
I hope St. Pierre rocks Hughes whenever that match may happen.

Snoogins

I just watched a full taping of Pride fighting for the first time. It seems to be the major league of MMA. Those fighters were so freakin' skilled. They made UFC look like backyard wrestling. In your opinion, is there anyone in UFC that could hang in Pride? Arlovsky or Hughes maybe?

Last I heard, GSP was fighting Penn in UFC 58. I think most fans want to see a GSP-Hughes title match, but GSP might not make it through Penn. Factor in the Hughes-Gracie fight, and I don't see GSP getting a title shot this year.

The TUF guys have to go. Marketing will keep them on TV, where many new UFC fans see them as stars. Since it is free, I can't complain. The PPV cards are a totally different matter. The likes of Mike Whitehead should never appear on a PPV card. Absolutely ridiculous, but such is the state of the UFC hw division.

I should be a huge UFC fan. Outside of the ww division, there are only a select few fighters who I give a shit about.
How much longer until the Pride HW GP?

One more thing. When the hell is Rashad from Ultimate fighter 2 going to fight?

I laughed when they made announced this. If this was Gracie 10 years ago then this would have been an insane fight. Now it's just going to be a joke.

And for the Pride comment above, you're right, Pride is head and shoulders above UFC as far as the talent pool is concerned.

The stars of UFC are talented. Arlovski in hw, Liddel especially in lhw, and then the star studded ww of Hughes, Penn, GSP would all be contenders in Pride. The lack of a cage would effect Hughes in a negative manner.

The spectacle of Pride is clearly superior to the UFC and far superior to the lower tier orgs. That should be expected. They pull the best fighters because they pay the best, and they pay the best becauze they can afford to.

Pride's HW division is fantastic, and there is no denying it. I consider Arlovski to be a good fighter, but he is untested against the likes of Pride.
Both Emelianenko brothers, Mirko, Hunt, Randleman, Jackson etc would be favored to win over the UFC champ. Even second rate Pride fighters would pose a serious threat.

Prediction: Hughes by whatever the hell he wants.

Good question. I know he said he was going to drop down a weight class or two since he was a very small heavyweight to begin with.

He'd probably be more competitive at 185 than 205 since the light heavyweight division is stacked with Chuck, Randy and Tito.

The Hughes-Gracie announcement was a let down. GSP-Penn will be a great fight, though and I also heard that David Louisau (sp?) is going to be fighting someone soon.

WTF? Two minutes in the first round? You must be hooked on that rock son...if there is one thing Gracie's still have going for them it is their ability to protect themselves against strikes. Royce's guard is as good as it gets...though I think Hughes will win, this is not going to be an easy defeat of Royce.

Also, digging on Nick Diaz? He is one of the best in his division, his defeat against Sanchez was a result of a poor game plan, not lack of skill. Diesel "Fat Boy" Riggs will not be able to take Diaz...let's hope he can make weight this time without bitching out.

I had the opportunity to train with Royce one summer back in 97' (as in get tossed around choked and basically man handled :). He is the real deal no doubt. But the game has left him far behind. I think this will be one of the biggest mismatches in UFC history.

It saddens me to say that I frankly don't see Hughes even getting a warm up from Royce.

I sure hope I'm wrong however.

slimjim wrote:

WTF? Two minutes in the first round? You must be hooked on that rock son...if there is one thing Gracie's still have going for them it is their ability to protect themselves against strikes. Royce's guard is as good as it gets...though I think Hughes will win, this is not going to be an easy defeat of Royce.

Also, digging on Nick Diaz? He is one of the best in his division, his defeat against Sanchez was a result of a poor game plan, not lack of skill. Diesel "Fat Boy" Riggs will not be able to take Diaz...let's hope he can make weight this time without bitching out.

Dude Diaz is a whiner. He is a great ground person, however he tends to get lazy in the ring. Riggs f'ed up the weight against Hughes, but the scale was jacked. He was over by a pound, left to shed the pound and was over by 2. Something wrong there. We'll see though. I'm not saying that Riggs is all that, but I do believe he will take Nick by power. Unless he slips and gets caught in a bar. Diaz is excellent at that. I just wish he would man up.

As far as Gracie's guard....the dude is a legend, but teaching and competing are totally different. Matt Hughes is not my favorite. I am a GSP, Franklin fan, but I do think that Hughes will overpower him rather quickly once he feels him out. Did you see the Franklin v. Shamrock? Shamrock is a stud, and was great, but there is a difference in skill of then and skill of now. I see the M.H. - R.G. going the same way.

Hey we all have opinions, it'll be great to watch.

No, I don't smoke rock. I do however, take medicine for Parkinson's.

May the best PREPARED fighter win.

ZEB, I have to agree with you on this one. The game has evolved and Royce hasn't been in it like Hughes has. Unless Royce has been hiding some new tricks from the media, Hughes is going to put a hurting on him.