Matt Furey

[quote]Cluster wrote:
ZEB wrote:

Then again, I don’t know how anyone can claim that Kettlebells are more useful, efficient, or practical than Barbells and Dumbells. However, some do it all the time and their integrity is never questioned!

Wow, talk about antagonistic, especially saying that to Mahler![/quote]

LOL…nice try but that almost two year old comment was NOT directed at Mike…

Furey is not dead-set against bodybuilding, or weight lifting. He simply trains for strength, and in his impressive fighting career, he has found calithenics to be the far superior type of exercise.

If you are looking for pretty, muscular men, then read a body-building mag. The Furey Site is strictly for those that are interested in strength and stamina.

Funny that this came up.

A friend of mine has given me a copy of Combat Conditioning and a series of c.d.s to sort through and see if there is anything that I like in them.

I haven’t had time to review them yet, but it is interesting to see what others think. There is a good mix of opinions so far.

Any more recent users of his techniques have an opinion that they would like to share?

When I was young…15 starting out training at 140ish pounds I heard about Matt Furey and got sucked into his shit lol. For about a month I thought that REALLY I could be a BEAST!

like I acutally thought I would be incredibly mentally tough and physically tough with just these very simple routines he gave. I was very very new to training. I was young n shit, although I always thought for myself I really thought it was kinda like the real deal. I then asked my dad to buy me his books n shit and my dad just told me that he’s already telling me everyhting…do the pushups and squats and thats all lol, my dad thn said its a bunch of shit and told me if I wanted to get bigger to eat and lift weights. I later found T-Nation and a few other sites. T-Nation DEFINAETLY being the website that kick-started my lifting, and never looked away. I realize that there were also tons of OTHER ways to condition myself.

I saw Ross Enameit stuff too, he has some pretty good stuff. Either way, fuck the Matt Furey shit man. You can do all of that without reading it. Squats, pushups…wooo lol. Seriosuly man I’d check into some other stuff for conditioning except Matt Furey.

[quote]TORO wrote:
Furey is not dead-set against bodybuilding, or weight lifting. He simply trains for strength, and in his impressive fighting career, he has found calithenics to be the far superior type of exercise.

If you are looking for pretty, muscular men, then read a body-building mag. The Furey Site is strictly for those that are interested in strength and stamina.[/quote]

Go away, Matt Furey, you are a bitch.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
TORO wrote:

If you are looking for pretty, muscular men, then read a body-building mag. The Furey Site is strictly for those that are interested in strength and stamina.

Go away, Matt Furey, you are a bitch.
[/quote]

Haha.

Matt Furey really pisses me off. What a waste of money.

Say what you will about Furey… The guy can market and has been copied by the best. Read his ad copy http://www.mattfurey.com/conditioning_book.html

Then go here:

And here:
http://martialartsconditioning.com/

The list of guys copying his marketing template is longer than my arm. (And I have long arms!)

[quote]Mike Mahler wrote:

“As far as him being anti weight lifting, yea, I think he pretty much is. He sells courses on body weight only movements, so he has positioned himself in that respect. Nothing wrong with that, as body weight movements only have helped many.”

The problem is that Matt built up his physique with weights. The size and muscle mass that he has now is simply maintained with bodyweight drills. He used to promote Dinosaur training and stated once in a video that bodyweight only workouts are not as good as training with weights as well. Now he has done a 180 and said the reverse. There is no doubt that CC is great and I use the drills all of the time. However, weight training is necessary as well for a comprehensive trianing regimen.

Mike Mahler [/quote]

Exactly, he built his base size and strength on weights. He says as much in his videos. Now that he is older and beat up from 20 plus years of competitive sports, he is against them.

He has some decent videos and the style is direct and doesn?t have the over-the-top BS in his ad pitch. But, they are the most low budget production values and least value for the money of any fitness product I?ve ever seen.

Example: “The Secret Power of Handstand Training - The Amazing Course That Gives You Raging Bull Strength from Handstand Pushups.”

Do handstand push ups against a wall.
Do them off blocks or chairs to increase range of movement.
Do them alternating arms or ?hand walking on to blocks?.

That will be $99 plus S&H.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Say what you will about Furey… The guy can market and has been copied by the best. Read his ad copy http://www.mattfurey.com/conditioning_book.html

Then go here:

And here:

The list of guys copying his marketing template is longer than my arm. (And I have long arms!)
[/quote]

This isn’t Matt’s template. It’s a template that started on the internet a few years back and is actually marketed toward marketters. Basically, thes guys are often buying it from the same source. I used to have a link to the site that sells this this style of marketing to market itself. But it’s in so many industrys, health, fitness, self help, software, travel, everything.

[quote]waltny wrote:
Im not sold on Furey. I was pissed off when I got CC, I was already doing a lot of these exercises via military PT. I have gotten to the point where the only squat I can handle doing is a hindu squat and box squats. I do the royal court when forced to due to lack of equipment. The one that really upset me was the handstand training video and book. I had been doing and seen almost all the exercises for free over on everyones other favorite slick salesman, Pavel. I wouldnt buy any of their stuff, to now include Brooks Kubik. I would find someone willing to share and trade…[/quote]

Wow… I had to google the brooks kubik guy… I am from Louisville, KY and I use to workout at the same gym as he some 10 to 15 years ago…
Funny… he is now an internet guru

I remember he use to tout in the gym that had been performing single rep sets before it became popular and he use to workout in a sweatshirt and take it off and like … wow he was white as a ghost… guys use to rag on him for his routines and that he needed to go to the tanning bed.

He also use to drink like a miller or bud light right after his workout inside the gym to replenish his carbs… I guess he popularized that as well

different dude for sure

[quote]Racarnus wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:

Then go here:

And here:

This isn’t Matt’s template. It’s a template that started on the internet a few years back and is actually marketed toward marketters. Basically, thes guys are often buying it from the same source. I used to have a link to the site that sells this this style of marketing to market itself. But it’s in so many industrys, health, fitness, self help, software, travel, everything.
[/quote]

Also go to www.brookskubik.com

same type of BS

I am intrigued. What draws people to this thread continually? This is like the cicada of discussions. It has layed dormant for a period of months to years, only to be resurrected, while serving absolutely no point whatsoever.

I think anyone who preaches 1 way is the only way is naive. Furey’s books are worth a look because his way might yield the best results for you.

My view: Not touching the iron is a big mistake in any sport.