T Nation

Matt Furey

Anybody had any luck with Fureys stuff.
Mainly hindu squats and pushups, or know if any of his books are worth getting? I was consdering some high rep hindu squats and pushups on my off days for GPP any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Run a search. This has been discussed many times before, usually leading to some ‘heated’ debates!

Matt Furey does have some things to contribute. Bodyweight exercises do have their place and could be beneficial for GPP. The controversey surrounding Matt Furey lies with his “anti-weightlifting” stance and his barbed tongue- he tends to be more than a little judgemental, (but this is perhaps his way of marketing his own products/services)
Other guys to look up that can add LOTS of value and are perhaps alternatives/ additions to what you would learn with Furey (and beyond- they teach bodyweight exercises, but also venture into incorporating external tools too- dumbbells, sandbags, sledgehammers, clubbells, etc):
Matt Wiggins, Ross Enamait, Wayne “Fish” Fisher aka “Scrapper”. Wiggins is involved in the MMA community and has a very easy to understand, accessible, Everyman way of explaining things. Enamait is a boxer with an organic, take it or leave it, edgy style. Wayne “Scrapper/Fish” Fisher has special military background (training with Navy SEALs), MMA experience, and is seemingly humble (doesn’t freely advertise WHO or WHAT he is…you just know his program is hard and WORKS.)
Hope this info helps
Shadow

I have the books and the dvd set. Personally I like what he has to offer. To say that he is anti-weightlifting may be a little harsh, he even says if you choose to lift that is your deal, he chooses not to. His material has merit, I’ve gotten stronger and my fitness has increased weekly, noticably. The BW exercises are harder than you may think. Will I never lift again? I can can say I will, I just needed a change.

The squats and pushups are great but dont discredit the bridge, it builds the posterior chain and counter acts the shoulder rounding that comes from doing the pushups.

checkout Wiggy’s site as well, it will give ideas to combine both weight and non-weighted exercises.

just my 2 cents

I bought combat conditioning, and received daily spam from Furey where he was definintely anti-weightlifting. it got to the point where he just sounded like a desperate salesman trying to convince you at all cost that his way to train was the only way, and that weight training will without a doubt eventually ruin your life. I finally got sick of it and wrote him back. Also, he made many comments which I feel seriously put to question his character, and mental well being. I say go w/ pavel or the other bodyweight guru’s mentioned.

Yeah, I’ve read two or three pages on his site, and pretty much everything he writes has some anti-weightlifting garbage thrown in. And calling it garbage isn’t harsh… It’s not about arguing pros and cons with him, he’s about as objective as a PETA member talking about meat.

It’s unfortunate, because I think his stuff is interesting and probably has some value and would do me some good. But his stupid antagonistic attitude makes it impossible to take him seriously and I’m unwilling to spend any more on his products. I just have a problem supporting people who make asses of themselves.

Nick

[quote]rm51001 wrote:
Mainly hindu squats and pushups, or know if any of his books are worth getting? I was consdering some high rep hindu squats and pushups on my off days for GPP any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Matt Furey is an interesting guy. On the one hand, he does a pretty good job presenting bodyweight exercises, and some of his books do have some excellent information.

On the other hand, his anti-weightlifting attitude and snarky used-car-salesman style marketing approach is annoying, misleading, and self-serving.

I do have his Combat Conditioning book, and I have found it to be pretty useful. I use a lot of the bodyweight exercises as GPP on off days, and I also tend to do a week or two of just bodyweight exercises every couple of months, to let my body recover from the stress of heavy weights.

Personally, I think a combination of weight training and bodyweight exercises are the best way to go, but that is of course just my opinion.

If you want to know more about Furey’s stuff, check out the article[1] by Mike Mahler on Furey’s Combat Conditioning.

Also, Scrapper’s website[2] also has some good information on bodyweight training.
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=153combat

I use the workouts (mostly the ‘Royal Court’ as he calls it) when I travel for business and don’t have access to a regular gym.

Some of the exercises in the book were new to me, and work the body in new ways, but many of them are the same things that I used to do every day in the Marine Corps.

I did develop what felt like an over-use strain on the outside of my left calf when a couple weeks into a long trip (doing about 100 squats a day) - don’t know if it was because the volume was too high, too soon, or because I was doing something wrong.

My take - decent every once in a while; great to use on travel and to change up your routine and concentrate on endurance, but I won’t give up the weights.

I own a few Matt Furey tapes and have his book “The Martial Art Of Wrestling.” That is a fantastic book!

I have never been disapointed with his material. Anyone who can go to China and be the first non-Chinese to win a major Chinese grapping tournament knows what he is doing, at least on the mat. He is also a Division 2 wrestling Champion.

As far as him being anti weight lifting, yea, I think he pretty much is. He sells courses on body weight only movements, so he has positioned himself in that respect. Nothing wrong with that, as body weight movements only have helped many.

Some on other threads have referred to him as a “hustler” or “huckster.” I think that’s pretty harsh. I think there are some out there who top him in that area. People like Pavel Tsatsouline for example. Anyone who can sell Kettlebells as a means to ultimate fitness (over Barebells and Dumbells that is) is truly gifted in marketing! The Kettlebell fad has to be the second silliest fitness fad to sweep the nation (I won’t get into what I think the silliest is…not today).

Ultimately, it depends on your goals. If you want to gain as much muscle as possible in the shortest period of time you will stick with your Barbells and Dumbbells. If you want to maintain what you have and perhaps train for a grappling sport, then Furey is the man!

I have his Combat Conditioning book which has some good exercises and is worth having.

However the same cannot be said for NO B.S Fitness. Stay away from it. It is 101 pages of stuff that is either in Combat Conditioning or useless page filler advice.

“As far as him being anti weight lifting, yea, I think he pretty much is. He sells courses on body weight only movements, so he has positioned himself in that respect. Nothing wrong with that, as body weight movements only have helped many.”

The problem is that Matt built up his physique with weights. The size and muscle mass that he has now is simply maintained with bodyweight drills. He used to promote Dinosaur training and stated once in a video that bodyweight only workouts are not as good as training with weights as well. Now he has done a 180 and said the reverse. There is no doubt that CC is great and I use the drills all of the time. However, weight training is necessary as well for a comprehensive trianing regimen.

Mike Mahler

Mike:

Furey’s epiphany could be either genuine or strictly for marketing purposes. We just don’t know for sure. Personally, I don’t know how anyone can claim that free hand floor movements are better at building size and strength than Barbells and Dumbbells.

Then again, I don’t know how anyone can claim that Kettlebells are more useful, efficient, or practical than Barbells and Dumbells. However, some do it all the time and their integrity is never questioned!

furey does a pretty good job of representing bodyweight exercises…hahha thats a laugh, unless you dont think doing 500-1000 hindu squats a day inevitably leading to knee problems isnt funny (i still hate him for that).

so what i think that anyone that trains could be able to do 500 blah of pushups, free squats, hindu pushups. Believe me its not that hard, but lets see furey try to do some freaken one arm chins, front lever, or even and l-sit, i mean the guy says he does so much crap but looks so messed up. I mean i remember when i trained with bodyweight and i kept it a reasonable number, i ended up becoming really shredded, furey looks like the classic case of overtraining for a like 15 years.

now pavel he actually mixed bodyweight and weight training, he is the real deal. Why have one when you can have both!!

[quote]mrl179 wrote:
furey does a pretty good job of representing bodyweight exercises…hahha thats a laugh, unless you dont think doing 500-1000 hindu squats a day inevitably leading to knee problems isnt funny (i still hate him for that).

so what i think that anyone that trains could be able to do 500 blah of pushups, free squats, hindu pushups. Believe me its not that hard, but lets see furey try to do some freaken one arm chins, front lever, or even and l-sit, i mean the guy says he does so much crap but looks so messed up. I mean i remember when i trained with bodyweight and i kept it a reasonable number, i ended up becoming really shredded, furey looks like the classic case of overtraining for a like 15 years.

now pavel he actually mixed bodyweight and weight training, he is the real deal. Why have one when you can have both!!

[/quote]

Ummm welcome to 2006

thanks just tryen to catch up, as you can see.

I have his 3 videos of the Hindu/bridgeing training & it’s great stuff. He’s good 2 go.

i bought combat conditioning, and honestly, i was not that happy with it. i was expecting to find very hard variations of bodyweight stuff, instead i kind of felt more like i was reading a book on yoga.

im also not a fan of fureys marketing schemes. just so you know, that picture of him thats on the cover of combat conditioning of him by the waterfall was taken when he was younger and still lifting weights.

[quote]rm51001 wrote:
Mainly hindu squats and pushups, or know if any of his books are worth getting? I was consdering some high rep hindu squats and pushups on my off days for GPP any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

FFS, what is there to know? NOTHING. hindu squats? pushups? lah deh dah! google them. There is more info on T-Nation for free. There is more information in this thread.

Don’t waste your money.

Im not sold on Furey. I was pissed off when I got CC, I was already doing a lot of these exercises via military PT. I have gotten to the point where the only squat I can handle doing is a hindu squat and box squats. I do the royal court when forced to due to lack of equipment. The one that really upset me was the handstand training video and book. I had been doing and seen almost all the exercises for free over on everyones other favorite slick salesman, Pavel. I wouldnt buy any of their stuff, to now include Brooks Kubik. I would find someone willing to share and trade…

[quote]ZEB wrote:

Then again, I don’t know how anyone can claim that Kettlebells are more useful, efficient, or practical than Barbells and Dumbells. However, some do it all the time and their integrity is never questioned!

[/quote]

Wow, talk about antagonistic, especially saying that to Mahler!